After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Reassignment of "Show Selected Properties" SS

Navigating the timeline is a huge pain. We all know this. The default keyboard shortcuts help, to quickly show/hide properties (P, A, R, T, S, M, U).

"Show Selected Properties" is a useful command. However, it's only accessible via the "SS" keyboard shortcut, and is impossible to re-assign.
    Please add this as a Menu Command (Animation > Show Selected Properties), allow the Keyboard Shortcut for it to be changed, and allow scripting access to execute this command as part of a script.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Scene Detect

Scene detect or cut/edit detection would be very helpful for those of us who get final cut videos from an editor who cannot provide project files with all the separate clips (or EDLs).

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Remove Animation as the default rendering codec

It is not supported on any modern OS.

(When I teach my (newbie) students about rendering, I have to do a lot of technical explanation on how and why to set up a more efficient rendering preset.)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Trimp a Comp/PreComp to Mask size

Trim a composizion / Pre Composition size to the size of a mask on a layer., this might be a bit complicated but I found my self exporting separate parts of a main image, masking them, pre comping them and using the "crop to ROI" function which wasn't as precise as I wanted it to be, I would love for a selected Mask to become the comp size with a button.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. BUG: Problem with adding CSV to timeline for Media Encoder export

So I've already stated my issue here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/can-t-add-csv-file-to-timeline/m-p/11646349?page=1#M156456

Short summary:

I can't add CSV files of a certain size to my timeline.
    I've tried CSV(3.6mb), TSV(3.6mb), Json (20mb, converted from csv), Json with arrays (5mb), and the CSV file split up in several small files with about 240kb (see Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGy52imsbIg ).

The results are always basically infinite loading times without any result. I've let that process run for me 3.6MB CSV file for 2 hours and ended up with a memory consumption of 13gb but still no result.

The files syntax is correct since i can already use that…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Fix bug and allow composition start timecodes later than 23:57:33:15

This seems to be a bug. Composition start timecodes later than 23:57:33:15 (if comp fps is set to 23.976) automatically resolve to 23:57:33:15. If the comp is made from a footage item with a start timecode later than that, it will display the correct start timecode but entering the Composition Settings box will cause it to revert to 23:57:33:15.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Bug: When adding an expression to the Source Text property of a Text Layer, the text auto right justifies and can't be changed.

Bug: When adding an expression to the Source Text property of a Text Layer, the text auto right justifies and can't be changed.

This occurred while attempting to set up motion graphics templates for lower thirds. I originally found the issue when I tested with multiple types of expressions to be certain. While any expression is applied to the Source Text property, all text in the layer is locked to right justify. This happens even if the Source Text on that layer is parented to the Source Text on a different layer that is left or center justified.

Ideally, text…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Save Composition as Effect - Like Nuke Gizmos

After Effects would benefit quite a bit by having the ability to save entire compositions as effects.

Imagine creating a really great looking glowy blur for a "flashback" sequence made up of a bunch of adjustment layers and masks and mattes all interacting with eachother, and being able to save the composition as a stand-alone effect that you can apply to other footage in other compositions or even Premiere Pro. You could expose certain effect parameters (like blur size, threshold, various sliders you have rigged up with expressions) similar to how the Essential Graphics panel works, and you could designate…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Command + Tab doesn't bring AE to front

When switching through the programms wit shortcuts:
    Command + Tab

AE won't come back to front.
    I have to search it from the dock.

MacOs Mojave 10.14.5
    Macbook Pro Mid 2016 Touchbar
    AE 17.5.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Bug in comp.exportAsMotionGraphicsTemplate() when exporting Motion Graphics Templates from ExtendScript in AE 2020

I need to make an automated workflow for versioning motion graphics templates and exporting .mogrt files. I've implemented a .jsx script to do so.

However, when exporting via script using exportAsMotionGraphicsTemplate, the exported .mogrt files loose some properties in their embedded deifnition.json files - they miss eg. default values, default text strings and their menu options arrays are empty.

This means they are not working in Premiere, where the result is empty dropdown menus and text inputs that reset to empty and will only send empty strings to the template regardless of user input.

Attached is a zip file with…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. About removing the Pro Import plug-in on MacOS

Sorry about the ranting, but this made me very disappointed to Adobe again:

So, Adobe and Mac combination is not for pro users?

First Adobe disabled exporting Prores XQ on Mac, now latest update (17.0.4.) disables Pro Import plugin, making importing AAF, OMF, FCP XML impossible - even I don't use macOS Catalina!
    In Orwellian way, this is listed under "Bug fixes"! Made me spill my coffee.
    At least add a warning sign to get user attention before pressing update!

If Premiere can import some of these formats, why not After Effects?
    I would imagine Adobe's $11 billion annual revenue…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. mpeg 2 video failing to import

Version 17.1.3 is no longer importing MPEG 2 Long GOP HDV 720P footage. I have older footage from a JVC GY HD250 that still opens in Premiere, but the After Effects project will no longer conform the footage. So, I open AE to check the project, to find that footage, and any MPEG 2 I try to import, will import without error, but only displays black. Brand new Wintel machine with RTX 2080 super card. Other AE projects work fine, just not ones with this footage. Any workaround? I don't even think I can re-render the footage in Media Encoder,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable/disable Constrain Proportions on Multiple Layers

Is there a way to select multiple layers and uncheck constrain proportions on all of them at once? That would save a lot of time as opposed to selecting multiple layers, hitting s, then unchecking each individual link button.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Batch replace/ file recognition can break when going between pc and mac, and groups used in photoshop file

Working remotely with clients and coworkers. The issue is that mac sometimes leaves off filename extensions like .psd which pc needs to recognize files. Changing the filename to include filename extension allows the file to be used on pc, but then it's breaks the file connections on the mac because the filename was changed.
    On top of this: When trying to reconnect the file, I got the error: cannot import file first entry in folder is another folder.
    I had to click through this error over a dozen times before it brings up the menu to select the layer in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. More Descriptive Dynamic Link

Today I found that the failing Dynamic Link between After Effects an Media Encoder was due to a security setting in MacOS.

The solution:
    -make sure, there is only 1 version of Media Encoder installed
    -give AME and AE full disk acces in the Security & Privacy settings

Tracking this down would have bene much easier when AME had a descriptive error concerning disk access.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. H.265 footage got pixelated and lost details

I found some specific H.265 footages imported into AE/PR partially (e.g. the clouds I marked in the red box) got pixelated after few frames, but the first frame (which I think it is the keyframe) is ok, when you zoon in, you can see the obvious pixelated blocks both in viewer and final output. But it will not happen in DaVinci Resolve nor I exported the footage to ProRes them imported into AE/ PR.

The PSD file is exported from the video, you can zoon in 300% and switch the layer to see what happened.

This issue happens in both…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Layout presets disappears with ever update

Can you guys make it easy and not get rid of our workflow presets with every update? I keep having to waste time managing my screen with every little update, create new presets, and sometimes forget which plugins I like best for my workflow. It's a real pain!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add an option to set the name of the rendered file to the comment next to a comp in the project panel instead of the composition name

Add an option to set the name of the rendered file to the comment next to a comp in the project panel instead of the composition name

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Lock specific effect values, ex. the anchor point and/or position, in the Transform scroll down menu in After Effects.

It is far too easy to grab hold of the wrong value (the anchor point instead of the position value and the other way around) and completely mess up an animation. Usually it takes quite some time to relize the mistake, Most items given different default anchor points by different size, it may take quite a while before realizing the mistake since it's impossible to keep all these values in your head. The only way to save the day is to reset to default values and start all over again loosing a lot of valueble time, and money! Most people…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 8 10 12 29 30
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base