After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop adding new features till the program works at an appropriate speed.

I'm tracking footage as I write this. the entire file is just a single 4k video with two trackers. my cache is on an ssd, and I run a 1070 and 6700k intel chip. not the best, I know...
    bit it worked fine on 6k anamorphic video in 2016 when I made it. so now I get to say:
    what the hell adobe. how did you mess this up so much, the moment you went subscription?

it's simple. after effects has become like 3DS max: buggy, cobbled together, filled with half-functional plugins, all with messy code and badly integrated, with…

136 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

23 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Extended Viewer as an option to be enabled for 2D rather than only 3D

The new extended viewer is a great addition to the program, nice being able to see outside of the viewer frame! It would be amazing if this was an option for a 2D workflow, there's definite benefits for being able to have vision of what's outside the frame

A workaround for those who like this as well, you can create a simple 3D layer and hide it. It will allow you to still use the draft 3D mode to have the extended view enabled for your 2D layers. Not sure what impact it would have on performance though having 3D…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. After effects crashes when importing PSD files with latest update (version 22.2)

When importing PSD files the "importing selected items" popup gets lasts for a long time then After Effects crashes . Was working perfectly fine a few days ago.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  17 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Save location should be where I opened the recent project...

There are few posts on this but I'm surprised it doesn't have more votes.

It seems really counter intuitive and downright frustrating that whenever I open a recent project and go to save it, it automatically suggests the folder I used last, which could be a completely different project... not just simply where I opened the file from!?

It's such a time sink having to manually dig through folders between clients and it's way too easy to accidental save files in the wrong projects.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Essential Graphics in Render Queue

Exposing Essential Graphics/Essential Properties in the Render Queue would let us quickly render out variations of a single composition without having to create several copies of a comp within the project.

I could see this as either a tab in the Render Settings dialog, or possibly an entirely new Render Item row that sits between Render Settings and Output Modules when a comp has properties in Essential Graphics.

Bonus points if this Essential Graphics render item row could be scriptable or tie into CSV/TSV/JSON data. This would be great for automated headless rendering. (But maybe this is a separate feature…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Option to see if a layer has any other layers connected to it

Before deleting a layer that looks 'un used' it will be super useful to be able to quickly double check if maybe some other layers are reliant on it because they are either parented or linked to it.

When a project has many layers, especially if the project file has been worked on by more than one person, you sometimes don't know or don't remember if a null layer is actually being used, or an old version of a layer, that you switched off, is actually parented to a new layer (usually to save time reanimating stuff).

It will be…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. View Options

Would love "Copy View Options" and "Apply View Options" as a Menu Item. This would allow batch updating view options across all comps.

View > Copy View Options
    View > Apply View Options

Should "Copy" the current Composition's Magnification Ratio, Resolution Factor, Fast Preview Pref, Transparency, Mask/Shape Visibility, Title/Action Safe, Proportional Grid, Grid, Guides, Rulers, 3D Reference Axes, RGB, Exposure, and all settings under View Options...

Should "Apply" all the above to the current Composition, or all selected comps in the Project Panel.

(If Mag Ratio > "Fit" or "Fit to Comp" are selected, don't just copy the zoom value…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Import and Replace Usage, but leave the comp

When pre-rendering some preComps to speed things up or lock them in, I use the "Import and Replace" post render action.

It would be great if the Comp that's being replaced was left in place, and the imported version just creates a duplicate of the layer, and the original comp just gets disabled.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fix broken Prores import in AE 2022

Hello,

I have a strange issue since I updated to Macos Monterey (12.1) and the latest version of Adobe CC 2022. I use a Macbook Pro 14.

When I import Prores files (tested with 444 and 444XQ), they show a strange color cast, shift towards green-cyan. They also show artifacts, banding,... When I apply the same LUT to a DNXHR file (444 12bit), the image is clean. I have the same result in Premiere.

When I import both Prores and DNXHR files in Resolve and apply the same LUT, both are clean.

There's seems to be an issue with Prores…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. reveal layer in timeline (of selected object in Composition window)

Control-click the selected item in the Composition window and choose "Reveal Layer in Timeline" to instantly focus the timeline to that layer.

In a project with many layers it's sometimes difficult to find the selected layer without a lot of scrolling up and down the timeline.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. illustrator import edge problem

When importing an Illustrator file into After Effects, artwork that is 100% opacity comes into After Effects with less than 100% opacity along the edge of the artboard/composition, you can see the incorrect values in the alpha channel. Also the shape anchor point is no longer pixel perfect after import.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a method to set the project panel as active.

'app.project.activeItem' is very limited since it can either be an active viewer or an active item on the project panel. There's a workaround for open comps with 'app.activeViewer.setActive()' to make sure you are on the viewer but there's no workaround for the opposite. There is no command to make sure you are operating with the selected project panel items.

if I want to 'executeCommand()' on the project panel selected items, but the panel is not active. I'm basically defeated.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. After Effects crashes when importing a photoshop composition when you have an AEGP file in the plug ins folder.

An AEGP file is necessary to have in the AE plug ins folder to use State Sets with 3DS Max. Unfortunately, having the AEGP folder makes After Effects crash when importing a Photoshop file as a composition.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Curves on Masks

HI, I currently create a new layer for every curve(s) I apply. I thought I may be able to apply curves to masks so I could have multiple curves (colours) in one layer. Unfortunately I cannot do this and I am guessing it is about the 'paths'. Is there or could there be a way to turn masked sections into layers - although this may increase file size. I become limited to only changing one colour (applied curve(s)) a layer so if i have 5 masks they are all the one colour where I want say 5 masks of different…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve "inline" styling of text via Expressions

It would be great to not only be able to use the "getStyleAt()" method, but also implement something like "setStyleAt()" in order to style portions of the text separately.

It would also help to be able to chain different styles together. Right now, it's impossible to do proper text styling with different style types programmatically. It would be incredibly helpful, especially for Templates / MOGRTs.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Reduce project deletes all files - Even files im using?

What's the point of reduce project?
    If I use it it just deletes all my comps, solids and so on.
    In this case I have 3 comps that I use. They are open.
    I do have a lot of old junk that is not used in my project.
    I use the reduce function and AE just deletes all my files and give me an empty project? Am I using this function wrong?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Forensic metadata to be baked into every render

When I come across a video clip that I created some time in the past, I may want to find out what project it came from so that I might be able to make changes to that clip and render out a new version. Currently there's no automatic way for me to know what AE project the rendered clip came from, and I have to rely on my ability to remember or to have named it a helpful name or to have place the clip in a folder that helps give a clue as to what project it belongs to.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Per character text styling for AE-built .MOGRT in Premiere

This has posed a serious problem for me recently. I spent a fair amount of time learning how to build out an animated lower third .MOGRT in AE so that I could just pop it into Premiere, tweak a couple sliders, input the text and have a nice banner where a scroll fades in/out & rolls/unrolls to reveal/conceal notes for citations and explanations. Since the content I work on is of an educational nature, there are tons of these banners, so streamlining the workflow in that way would yield serious benefits.

Unfortunately, those benefits have been significantly impacted by the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Photoshop Smart Object Support

It would be neat if Photoshop Smart Objects worked in After Effects. It's basically just pre-compositions. I was surprised to see this wasn't already a feature.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Delete in Contextual Menu

Sooooooo many programs offer a Delete item in contextual menus, I'm surprised AE doesn't have this.

With your left hand on the keyboard and your right hand on the mouse, you have to make a leap across the keyboard to hit the Delete key. Delete a layer from the timeline, delete a layer from the Composition window, delete an item in the Project window, delete an Effect in the Project window, etc. could all use Delete in the contextual menu.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base