After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ram preview won't play

Whenever I turn on/off my bluetooth headset, my RAM previews no longer play back. I can see the green bar progressing, but nothing updates in the Comp window. When I hit "space" or "0" nothing happens. Then, if I go to Preferences > Audio Hardware and change the output to my speakers or back to the newly turned on bluetooth, everything works fine again. I've also had it when I didn't change anything with my audio devices and the previews stop working, but going to Audio Hardware and just clicking back and forth on options there usually fixes it.

Windows…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. AE 2020 (17.0.2) Color shifts when rendering

Starting with AE 2020 (on macOS Catalina 10.15.3) we're running into the following issue:

Whenever a live action footage comp in is rendered straight from AE to ProRes, there is a slight color shift and diagonal jagged line artifacts which were not in the original footage/comp.

As a workaround, we've tried rendering via AME. This solved the jagged lines but introduces an unexpected color shift to the footage.

This happens regardless of the render module (both Metal and Mercury Software Only).

Attached is a portion of the scopes in each case showing the color shift and the jagged lines and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. BUG Preview/playback is extremely glitchy

BUG Preview/playback is extremely glitchy

It simply doesn't work. Nothing happens when you press the spacebar. Tried a lot of troubleshooting already.

Turning on Cache before playback helped for a few minutes. Then it plays back in what seems to be 2x as fast. Then it bums out again and nothing works. When I quit the software stops responding and you need to force quit.

Problems started on Fri 31 Jan on a Late 2013 iMac (High Sierra) 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Change to custom workspace -> CRASH

When changing to a custom workspace, no project open,
    AE is crashing.

I thought we got rid of this problem 2 years ago....?!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. [BUG] on 17.0.1 rotobrush breaks the project after reloading

If Rotobrush is applied in anyway, after saving, closing and restarting the project won't start.
    Returns an error: missing data in file

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. CC20 complaining on "missing data" 33 § 4, CC19 does not.

Two project files I created on CC19 this week and continued to work on in CC20 are unreadable after saving and re-opening. On CC20 the error is 33 § 4 (Missing Data). This also applies to the render process in AME which can't start.

The same file opens correctly on CC20 in OSX and CC19 on Windows as well.

Other files created in CC20 are opened without any issues.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. After Effects error: Can’t find requested element “string”. ( 33 :: 0 )

For a couple of days I've been trying to figure out why every time I was saving my project and then trying to open it again I was getting this error.

"After Effects error: Can’t find requested element “string”. ( 33 :: 0 )"

I thought I might have a bug in some of the video clips I was using, because when I deleted the clips I could open the file.

After installing and reinstalling After Effects again this had no effect.

Getting stressed with an important upcoming deadline I decided to reformat my whole system and began rebuilding my…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Guide layers appear in render

2020 Bug. Please fix.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "matchName: ADBE Text Expressible Amount " in the expression of this property the name of the effects is not updated

Unlike all other properties, in this property "matchName: ADBE Text Expressible Amount" the expression does not update itself if you change the name of the effects it uses.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. After Effects 2020 Cineware Errors

A simple Cinema 4D project file won't render properly in After Effects 2020. It works without a problem in After Effects 2019. I have found the issue to be the Boole object in the object manager. If you turn off the Boole, the scene will render in After Effects. Therefore, it must be a bug introduced in the AE 2020. I have attached the C4D file for confirmation of the bug: https://rebrand.ly/cinema4d_file

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Implement memory warning right at start up if other programs use too much already

After Effects memory management is quirky, compared to every single other professional program out there.
    Instead of taking what is there, it overreaches all the time, because of the setting "RAM reserved for OTHER APPS".

So if you have 64GB of RAM, but only 12GB free, and you set AE to "let other Apps use 16GB" you WILL DEFINITELY get an "Out of memory" error later with all the associated problems like crashes, lost work and so on.

So if we can't change the memory management, could we, at least, implement a warning at start up like "Seems you already…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. CRASH: Changing font (Version 16.1.3)

After Effect v. 16.1.3

When I double click the text that I want to edit and go to the fonts dropdown to change the font. It opens normally, like it should.However, as soon as I press an arrow key on my keyboard to navigate through the list.. it immediately crashes.

This is very annoying as it happend a few times now which results in losing some progress over and over again.

I'll stay away from the arrow keys until its fixed ;)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Rendering Glitch

I was putting together a video which had not that many elements which was running smooth throughout the process. Mind you we are running these programs on iMac Pros so it should not be a problem. The video in total was about 2min & 2sec. The problems started to arise when I started to render through Adobe Media Encoder. The render itself took about 35 to 45 mins which is odd. With the number of elements running on the video plus the iMac it’s also running on should not take that long. While rendering I was scrubbing back and forth…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. BUG: Ghost frame showing when no other layer is present

This is an issue I have researched far and wide and tried MANY solutions for. Often, not always, a single frame from somewhere else in my project will appear in the final renders of my videos, in sections where there are no layers active. Any place where there should just be black on the screen, i.e. a fade out or simple space between clips, is subject to this happening. I have read so many forum articles about this, spanning all the way back to 2010, and even on the most updated version (15.1.2), the problem still appears and not a…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Send to After Effects doesn't send R3D RAW settings

If you send to AE from Premiere the R3D raw settings don't carry through. Makes the workflow useless.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 16.1 update memory bug

After updating to 16.1 After effects is unable to allocate memory. I have a 64GB RAM system, but After effects is unable to load frames more than 10 frames HD at quarter resolution, suggests getting more RAM...
    Also, the update doesn't migrate the panel layout settings or revert to them when opening a existing project which was saved with the panel layout (which is kinda weird, AE has a tendency to rearrange the panel layout when opening a project for an other user to their layout (very frustrating...), but when you actually want this to happen (because for some strange…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create Editable Text Bug

I've discovered and confirmed a bug with the help of your support team.

In AE 2019.1, (I tested on Win10, another user was on MacOS with same result) when you right click on a PSD layer that was text and hit convert to editable text, it was crashing for me about half the time, with no indication why since it was working on the same fonts and same projects sometimes.

When i tested one of the crashing layers INSTEAD of right clicking and going to the MENU Layer>Reveal>Create Editable text, it worked flawlessly.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

In a simple test, I can not reproduce this problem.

Can you provide us with a PSD and an After Effects project that causes the crash? This will help us investigate.

Please post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

18. Blank window, UI not showing up

My entire after effects window is just completely blank. The welcome window appears normally but nothing else. I can see my cursor changing as I hover over parts of the window and can click hidden buttons if I click around enough. If I choose to pop out panels they render, but otherwise are invisible.

I’ve reinstalled and cleaned my computer of all adobe files with adobe‘s cleaner app. All my other adobe programs work fine.

This started happening after Cinema 4D lite crashed while asking for Mac accessibility permissions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Some conflict between cuda and AE 2018/2019 and transform effect

Error GPU out of memory appears when I use "transform" effect on a solid layer, if I disable GPU acceleration or work in AE CC 2017 all is fine.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information about the conditions you experience the problem.

• What OS and version are you using? i.e., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14
    • What graphics card is installed? What driver version?
    • Does the this problem only happen in your existing projects, or does it occur if you create a new comp and a new solid, and apply only the Transform effect?

Update 26 Nov 2018:
    Could you share a project with us that exhibits the problem? I think we need to inspect the specific conditions of the comp that you’re using. We’re not able to reproduce the problem with a simple comp + solid.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked;…

20. Fix Dynamic link with Character Animator

Would be nice if DL worked as advertised... AE won't see updated CA file, plays the original file. Very annoying. I have to save out to new project file from CA and then replace footage in AE. What's the point then for DL?????

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base