After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FIX After Effects 2022 V22.0.1

After Effects 2022 v22.0.1 DOES NOT EXPORT TO MEDIA ENCODER on Windows. This problem was reported for Mac, but it was directly stated that others have the same problem on Windows. Exact same symptoms, exact same behaviour. You try to export a video from After Effects using the Media Encoder Queue, and nothing happens. Media Encoder opens and just sits there doing absolutely nothing.

201 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

74 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After Effects 22.4 crashing with Cinema 4D 3D renderer

After Effects crashes all the time when choosing Cinema 4D renderer for extruding and animating shapes, I have tried reinstalling, clearing preferences and importing the .AEP in a new project or restarting from scratch without success.

After Effects 22.4
    MacBook Pro M1 Max 64 GB Memory
    Monterey 12.4

Thanks in advance!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  8 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. After Effects needed more Tim Kurkoski at NAB

I feel that the whole NAB experience would have performed better and been much more stable if Tim was there.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. AE frequently resets preferences upon opening

Ever since the release of AE 22.2, it happens quite frequently to me that AE resets all preferences upon opening it. Maybe something like every fourth or fifth time of opening it (but the frequency seems to vary). Other times, I just get an error message that some preference file contains an expected value (but I don't think it resets all preferences, though).

Is this a known bug? Can I do something about it? There are so many preferences I have to add back every time that I can't really work in these AE versions.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  6 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AE 22.6 Bug CSV File Issue

After upgrading to AE 22.6, I am unable to render a comp that uses a CSV file to assign colors to multiple shape layers. I keep getting error 512. After rolling back to 22.5, the project works again.
    The mogrt I created from this project also crashes Premiere 22.6.1 when I try to render. Rolling back Premiere to 22.5 fixes the problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Kevin,

Thanks again for reporting this issue. We were able to reproduce the error with your project and we are investigating a fix for future versions of After Effects.

In After Effects 22.6, the simplest workaround for this issue is to choose "Mercury Software Only" for the renderer in the Project Settings under Video Rendering. That should allow the project to render successfully.

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

6. Memory Leaks errors when exiting the app when a comp uses the Particle Playground effect

After Effects 22.4 and 22.5 are popping up multiple dialog boxes related to memory leaks in Particle Playground (when used in a composition) if the application is exited without first closing the project.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Crash when Duplicating Layers v22.5.0

I found a reproducible crash in AFX CC 2022 - (no crash with CC 2021 and older.)

This happens with JavaScript expression engine - no crash with legacy ExtendScript engine.

I have a null layer with a shape layer parented to it.
    The null layer has an expression in the Position property.
    The expression looks at the position of the layer that is "index - 2" above it. (There are two null layers above, so the expression works.)

When I duplicate the null and shape layer together, then drag then to the bottom of the stack, all is normal.

If…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Type tool crashes After Effects

Type tool crashes After Effects every time. I tried using other fonts, uninstalling and reinstalling After Effects, purging all cashes and removing 3rd party plugins - nothing helped. Please fix this issue.
    After the crash, AE crashes again when trying to open the project.
    However, new projects cause crash as well, whenever type is involved.

<202514> <FLT> <4> Actual missing plugin: Pseudo/MHAC PrCtrl WZI 4

<226164> <RenderTaskManager> <5> Multithreaded render report

Total duration: 0.863031 seconds
    Render threads used: 2
    Frames rendered: 500
    Frame render avg time(per thread): 0.00222583 seconds
    Total frames per second: 579.353
    Total per - thread time in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. F9 no longer cycling through ease

After updating to 22.5.0 F9 no longer cycles through easing. It will work initially in setting "easy ease". But pressing it again no longer cycles to "rove across time" or no ease. This means there is no way to turn off the ease unless I use the graph editor. I've always been able to do this until the update. Please fix this bug.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BUG: AE doesn't call Adobe fonts, needs PS to be open first

If my psd uses adobe fonts, and I convert those font layers to text in AE, the font will be loaded as long as I keep PS is open.

But when later on I'll open the project's aep, AE doesn't load the correct fonts.

To fix it I'll have to open the psd again on PS and then the correct font will show on AE.

But that is a bug imo, and if someone else takes the project they might not know that this is not the proper font. Please fix this, it's a issue I've been having for more…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Instant CRASH when Copy / Paste "Camera Options" of a Camera Layer

Reproducible crash. Tested on two different workstations. AFX CC 2022.

1.> Create a camera layer in a comp.
    2.> COPY the "Camera Options" folder of a camera layer.
    3.> PASTE on either the same camera a layer, or a new camera layer, and AFX will crash instantly. No option for crash report.

Happens every time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. after effect UI slow

hello

i just purchased a new pc with AMD ryzen 7 4800h 8 cores 16 threads. base clock 2.9ghz boost clock 4.2ghz rtx 2060 6gb 16gb 3200mhz ram dual channel and a 512gb ssd. but in my after effect. there is a lot of lag once the softeware is opened and the 4 sec to 6sec lag before a funtion i pressed is activated is fraustrating. the general lag. please is there a way to resolve this. and a friend system 4th gen i5 8gb ram 500gb hdd intel hd 4500 performs faster in the software ui than mine with…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 18.4 is eating through my memory and then crashing during previews and renders

After Effects is eating through memory when previewing and rendering. It goes through my 128 gig in about a hundred frames and then crashes.

After effects is getting worse not better

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. AE crash when deleting expression linked effect

AE reports 9 expressions error but in theres only 8. If I select and delete CC Toner effect on v2 the app crash. Manually deleting each expession individually is the only way to go but during the process the expression warning message reports an astronomous amount of errors (see 2nd screenshot). Bug has been reported on multiple machine.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Speed up connection to Media Encoder

The AE>AME pipeline used to be pretty slick. As of right now it's shockingly unreliable.

Attempting to queue any comps from AE provides mixed results. This should be a fast action users don't have to plan their workday around, but anymore, there's no guarantee how quickly or if this will even work. For example, about 30 minutes ago I attempted to queue 9 comps. I'm still waiting for them to populate in AME.

CTRL+ALT+M doesn't appear to be functional either (for some on my team, it hasn't worked for at least 1-2 years at this point)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Text Recolor Issue

I'm having trouble with recoloring text in AE. I highlight one line and it colors 2 lines, or I color a few words and it will color the line below what I had highlighted. I tried bringing the project into a new project in case the original project was corrupt and tried a new text box and typing it in manually, but it keeps ending up the same. Screencapture below: https://www.loom.com/share/1b8eaae9ea264d4c95aebe8cf10a3e73

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Crash trying to open the menu of purge all disk cache

Hi my Mac M1 Max usually crashes after trying to purge the cache after working on a project. Have noticed this for like 3 years back on my pc at home.
    Its more prone to crashing the higher the disk cache is (atm its 250gb on the M1 Max).
    Usually after a crash and a fresh reopening of Ae i'm able to clear the cache.

Hopefully yall can fix this :)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. memory problems m1 ultra

I have to restart After Effects 22.5 on my Mac Studio Ultra 128GB about every 30 minutes... After a while after effect seems to lose all capability to keep images in memory. So much so that even if I move the stage (using space bar - hand tool) the frame has to be re-rendered. Zoom in and out: same. In the timeline all green is gone. After effects uses only about 24GB at this time the rest of the memory is free. No other applications that use the RAM are running. After restart of after effects it works fine, keeping…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. NO AUDIO PLAYBACK :/

I CANT PLAY MY AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK. AFTER EFFECT

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. After Effects Crashes when switching to other apps

After Effects 22.5 & 22.6 crash when switching to another app. Version 22.4 works fine and does not have this issue. AE freezes up then display goes to black. After about a minute, display returns to normal with AE still open or sometimes crashed completely. Not a display issue as it only happens with AE.

Machine Specs:

Windows 10 PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GH
    RAM: 32.0 GB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base