After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Roto Performance Abysmal

I don't understand why when I have 128GB, and 18 core processor, and a RTX 2080TI with 12GB of video ram that rotoscoping a 4k clip thats 10 seconds long, the performance drags down so much I have to wait 20 seconds to be able to add a add/subtract roto brush mark.

I look at my computer usage and After Effects is barely using 5% of my cpu and gpu.

The rendering of the frame not to mention the propagation takes SO long on a complicated roto, it's barely usable in my opinon.

Adobe PLEASE bump up CPU/GPU usage for…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multi-frame Rendering Stops Working

[AE 22.1.1 (Build 74)]

About 2/3'rds of the way multi-frame rendering seems to stop working when rendering my project. Initially it renders around 10 - 13 frames at the same time. This then drops down to only rendering 1 frame at a time (sometimes going up to 2 frames, but then down again to 1). Nothing in the project changed. This happens during the actual render. Seems this thread (https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/help-with-multi-frame-rendering/m-p/12603954#M189246) is experiencing like-wise behavior from AE. Definitely think this is a bug, so really not gonna waste time trying to re-install, etc as the thread above have tried…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multi Frame Rendering slowing down machine

Working on a 2.5 minute timeline, lots of layers, but very powerful machine, 128gb ram, 4 GFX cards, i9-9940X CPU -- green ram preview bars would appear, but playback would be impossibly slow, even on playback of just text on the screen. I went and turned MFR off and instantly was able to use my project again. :shrugging-emoji: Can't share file due to IP but... yeah this was not good. I was losing my mind and on deadline.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hi CPU Usage at ilde in version 2022

Since I update to version 2022 AE always push the CPU to the maximum when i open file without doing any action, and this cause the fun to run to the maximum also, and on activity monitor it show AE use 300% CPU. and this happen in 2 different MAC devices, iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB Mac OS big sur, and macbook pro, i7 with Mac OS big sur
    right now I just roll back to the previous version,

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug report: "Undo group mismatch, will attempt to fix"

Getting this bug almost daily. It does not seem to be triggered by any specific action. The alert "Undo group mismatch, will attempt to fix" pops up and multiple recent steps are undone, so I've lost a few minutes of work. I've enabled logging and will upload a log file next time it happens. It may be related to the GeoLayers plugin as it started happening after I installed the plugin recently.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. multi frame rendering - number of threads

In MFR preferences let us set how many threads/cores MFR uses. I've found that on a 24core machine reducing affinity to just half the cores, makes the render ryn just as fast but with half resources - would be nice to be able to set how much cores MFR is able to use - you know, to leave some for other operations - right now MFR takes up 100% of all cores, and like I said, part of that performance is wasted anyway.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bug Report: Text and fonts still cripple AE performance, even on high end machines.

Simple text animations, or even just simple animations with text layers turned on in the scene. I have seen twice in the last 2 days, on different projects, with different fonts. Some text layers just cripple AE viewport performance. From smooth 60fps playback to .5 fps, and not even able to smoothly drag objects around viewport. I have read many posts like this online, please optimize this dino app. Like Winston Wolf says, "Pretty please... with sugar on top.."

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. BUG Can't delete items in render queue - I mean come on, test first, release later, please

Can't delete items in render queue.

Can't do anything while rendering previews of linked files in Premiere or AME

After effects crashes if premiere rendering previews.

It is a s*** show isn't it? And you released it on us.
    Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. BUG: GPU failure error with MP4 in timeline

After the update to 16.1.2 I get an error when I have an MP4 file into my timeline. It's a simple HD MP4 which gave me no issues prior to the update. There are no effects on the layer. Windows 10, Nividia GTX 1080. Cache clearing does not resolve. Please advise.

Error: "After Efects has encountered a failure related to GPU-enabled effects on this frame. This is likely because your GPU is out of memory."

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. TSV data affects performance in AE

Adding large TSV files with multiple columns and rows seems to bloat AE projects that link to the data.

This is especially noticeable when multiple comps and pre comps link to data via expressions. It can be improved a bit by having the data only appear in one comp and then being linked to from other comps rather than adding the data to each comp. But overall the interface still runs much slower, and exports are considerably slower when rendering comps linking to data especially when the data file contains many rows and columns. Anything that can be done to…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bug report: After Effects2019,2017,(&Premiere, Encoder) ProRes export issue

PRORES (4444 and 244) Export as a wrong format despite the setting:
    E.G"
    Export Seting:
    Quicktime, 7680x4320 PRORES4444 RGB+ millions colors that makes 10sec- 3GB

However,
    export as:
    Quick time 7680x4320 PRORES4444 RGB+ Trillions colors that makes 10 sec - 25GB

Share link for Test Projects: https://adobe.ly/2Y49j5r

This symptom continuously occurs up to VERSION 16.0.1 (Updated 20MAR 2019)
    Tested on;
    Windows10
    MacOS High Sierra V 10.13.6

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I want save ram preview to come back. I know there are work arounds, but they aren't as good as save ram preview

I would love it if you could select save ram preview from the preview panel and it would just save your ram preview as a video with a codec you defined.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bug Report: masks in AE 2019

Whenever I edit a mask, the mode goes from add, subtract et al to none. This happens with every project and is massively frustrating. I'm using the latest version of AE on Windows 10, i9 9900k, 64GB RAM and a 980ti. Here's a link to a screen recording of the glitch https://www.csmotion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2018-12-06_10-57-18.gif

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for providing a screen recording of the problem in action.

I do not reproduce this problem on my computer, so I suspect this problem is configuration-specific.

Have you tried resetting the preferences for After Effects? To reset the preferences for After Effects, do either of the following:
    - (Preferred) Choose Preferences > General > and click on Reveal Preferences in Finder (macOS) or Explorer (Windows). Then quit After Effects and move the parent folder of these files (the version number, ex. 16.0 or 15.1) to your desktop. If this step helps, you can try moving your individual preference files back one at a time, or if does not resolve the problem, you can move the entire folder back.
    - Hold the Option (macOS) or Alt (Windows) key while launching After Effects.

One thought that occurs to me: when modifying a mask in…

14. Bug report: MP4 slow performance

Importing MP4s from a network drive causes After Effects to take much longer to "refocus" when switching between apps. If there are any MP4s in a project then switching between apps and then back to AE can cause very noticeable delays before AE becomes responsive again. This has been a problem since at least CC 2017.

This behaviour is still a problem even when the "automatic footage reloading" option is turned off. Removing all MP4s from a project fixes the problem.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please add a read-only "selectable" property in ExtendScript

Currently layer properties don't have an accessor to check whether or not they are selectable. The only way to check selectability with 100% certainty is to write a
    try { layer.property.selected = false; selectable = true; }
    catch(e) { selectable = false;}
    type of block, which runs very slow.

I'm a technical artist, and I'm writing an in-house exporter. With a fairly complex project the above piece of code, checking all the properties in all the layers, runs for 12'30''. Replacing the try-catch block with a normal property accessor check speeds it up to 0'02'' - more than 300x better…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. FASTER 3D PROCESSORS

The Classic 3D and the CINEMA 4D processors could be GPU accelerated.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Preview Issue

After Effects 2018 stops previewing after a while. It occurs when I've been working on the project for a while or if I've switched to a different window (internet, other adobe app, etc). Purging the cache does nothing and only a restart solves the issue.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Puppet pin crashing on CC 2018

I've tried several times to place a pin on a shape layer, but it crashes every time. My shape layer has 2 groups, each group has multiple groups within it. Each time, I select the shape layer, then select the puppet pin tool, then when I click to place the first pin, the error dialog comes up and AE crashes with this message: "After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking plug-in "Puppet". I've used the puppet pin tool successfully several times before on this computer, this is the first time it has failed.

Specs:

After Effects CC v15.1.2 (just updated…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. no black screen

So there's this problem (i don't know if it's occurring to anyone else) where i open after effects, make a new comp or open a project and the viewing box doesn't show anything, no footage or even a black background, it's just grey, playback and caching my videos is fine, i can hear the audio and the time indicator in the timeline is moving but nothing is showing, i've reinstalled, restarted and cleared my caches, any help on this? I use adobe cc18, 16gb of RAM, and have a Radeon(TM) RX 480 graphics card

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug after updating to 15.1

After updating Ae to the current version the program became buggy.

Pop-up dialogue boxes are just white (no buttons visible), program becomes unresponsive and can't perform tasks like pre-compose.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Help!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base