After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. multicore

About multicore utilization ...

• At the present moment, there are thousands of users with new and powerful multi-core CPUs with plenty of power not utilized by Adobe's programs. An Adobe response to the demand that Adobe focus on this issue is that "it is difficult" ...

You are a big company, you can solve it - so solve it.

Using the excuse that it is difficult to solve is just silly and provocative - you have to prioritize this issue!

I'm sure you will get incredibly positive reactions from many users if you focus on speed and core utilization in…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rebuild AE from the ground up so everything runs on the GPU

Last night I had to wait 5 hours to render out a 7min sequence on a 6core i7 with 2 x nVidia1070. GPU usage never went above 4% for GPU 0 and 0% for GPU 1. CPU thread 2 never went above 35% whilst all other threads stayed around 10%. Network usage never went above 350Mbps on a 10GBe connection. Every year users request that AE uses more system resources yet it still never seems to happen. By your own words AE is the industry standard for motion GRAPHICS yet it hardly utilises the GRAPHICS processing unit at all. Every…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Master comps performance

Nice to finally have something like master properties. However, when you put many of the same "master comps" in a composition, playback performance gets really bad.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. AE 22.6.0 (Build 64) keeps throwing error: attempt to remove an item from a position outside of list length (27 :: 9). T

AE 22.6.0 (Build 64) keeps throwing error: attempt to remove an item from a position outside of list length (27 :: 9). The error happens any time you undo something, or move a layer or keyframe in the timeline. Working inside a TEAM PROJECT, which I assume is part of the issue. AE is almost unusable as the error throws constantly.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Issues with Fonts

I know this has been brought up by other users in some other forums, but I want to second and reiterate this occurrence - there is serious issues with sluggish performance in after effects with fonts, particularly when using fonts in projects that are not cloud/adobe font based. In some cases, projects freeze for 10-15 seconds on retyping a 10 character word in a text box. Across multiple text-heavy projects for client schedule demands, it's becoming a major issue.

Some people have provided workarounds, like resetting the font of a project entirely with a script, but in not all cases…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The current build of After Effects Beta (v22.6 build 21) is exhibiting much, much better behavior than previous releases, due to fixes applied to how font glyph tables are built. The long delays appear to be resolved, though in some cases I still see a short delay. (The developer who has been working on this code has done their best to resolve this, but some of the problems remain with the fonts themselves or in code that would require much more extensive revision.)

If you were experiencing this problem, please test the same project, comp, and fonts in the daily builds of After Effects Beta.

If you're still experiencing a delay when using certain fonts, could you please:

1. Send a screen capture video of the behavior in the current build of After Effects Beta, as well the same project, comp, or font in an older release of After Effects where…
  6. Composition view jittery scrubbing

In AE 22 (works fine in 21) whenever I scub the timeline, ie scubing forward, the viewport shows frames jumping around, it shows the next frame, then 20 frames earliier, then the next frame again and so on. It plays back properly, it's just during scrubbing. I noticed that the solution to this is to sync the current working res to the zoom level, so ie:
    - Full res 100% zoom - scrubs fine
    - Full res 50% zoom - jittery
    - Half res 50% zoom - scrubs fine
    - Half res 100% zoom - jittery
    Anyone else experiencing this…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. After Effects regularly missing keystrokes

After Effects is regularly missing keystrokes. I have tried to type slower, give the system time to catch up, and when I'm typing text in a composition it just randomly does not register keys. Occasionally it happens when I'm typing values into a panel (Setting font size to 150 and it will miss a number so it will be 10 or 15 or 50). This only seems to occur regularly in AE 2020. This is creating huge problems with clients on larger text blocks because AE is introducing typos because of this bug.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. slow text entry BUG

When I have too many windows open in my workspace, the text re-draw can't keep up with my typing speed. When I type text into a comp, I have to type very slowly to avoid missing letters. However, if I close windows in my workspace, it keeps up. While this workaround will get me by, it's not acceptable. AE should be able to have as many windows open as I like and it should not slow down my system. I'm on a Mac Pro using the latest versions of everything.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix Mercury Transmit freezes.

Every so often the mercury transmit output freezes and you have to swtich comps to make it come back to life again. This happens regardless of whether the output is via GPU or third party card, in my case a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k. I questioned this via online support about 6 months ago and was told that Adobe were having 'some issues' with nVidia drivers. 6 months later and a new version of AE and still no fix. Can you please just get around to fixing the basics of the software before adding new pointless features?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. likewise AI, After Effects output using vectors, for example an animated svg???

Dear people,

I would love to see the same output as vectordrawing as svg in after effects output. Hope you make this possible in the future. Still every vector put in in After Effect will become in the end result a pixelised video.

Kind regards,
    Suzanne Cornelis

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. M1 Native After Effects becomes sluggish after periods of inactivity

First, big thank you to the AE team for the Apple Silicon native version After Effects. On the whole, it's much much faster and it has been a pleasure to work with so far. Big thumbs up from me.

I'm writing to report something that feels like it could be a bug. Strangely enough, I've noticed that after periods of inactivity, going away from my computer, After Effects becomes extraordinarily sluggish. The UI feels as though it lagging behind a good 1 to 2 seconds and the timeline becomes just as laggy.

The fix is simple. Re-start After Effect and…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Use RAM more efficiently

Especially since AE 17.5, it has become even more RAM greedy. It doesn't matter if I have 32GB, 64GB or 128GB, once I start a multithreaded render, the memory will always be the bottleneck. There surely must be a way to use memory more efficiently, I can't understand what AE needs all this memory for. Just doesn't make sense to me.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. When using Pan behind tool, check cursor position when mouse is released

When using the pan behind tool, if there's a lot going on and the computer is running a little slow, upon letting go of the click to set the anchor point, you have to keep the mouse still for a second so that AE registers that the point is set. If you move the mouse too soon, then, although you've let go, the anchor point still moves with the mouse and sets it in the wrong place.

I remember years ago, this wasn't an issue. But at some point this bug was introduced and has never been fixed. Whenever it…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. RAM preview wont play, have to change audio devices

Having issues where the RAM preview wont play and have to change audio devices to get it to work.

This even happens when the audio output doesnt change. Will be working fine with speakers as the output...then it will start not playing and have to go the Audio Hardware tab, change the Default Output to something else, then back to what it was originally set at, then it will start playing the RAM preview again.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Increase 2gb image buffer limit

Constantly running into the 2GB image buffer limit when using 16k HDRI images and large renders. For studios/people with high-performance hardware there should be an option to increase this limit.

We work with very large canvas' (16k+) and this limit is crippling our workflow.

If a GPU render engine like redshift can handle 16K 32bit HDRI files no problem then why are we limited in post?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Lagging and missing keystrokes

For several months now, I frequently have problems where two main issues occur, which feel related:

1) After Effects is still processing a command, usually moving keyframes, where I place the keyframe, release my mouse button, move my mouse, and then the keyframe jumps to the new location of my mouse instead. Like it never registered the original placement of the keyframe and lagged.

2) Often doesn't register keystrokes. This applies to both typing in text layers, and also just general keyboard shortcut commands. It results frequently in text missing letters that just never registered as I was typing, or…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Preview rendering gone when moving a audio clip

Hi. It's so bad that when I have rendered a preview of the timeline and then just move a short audio clip in time, the preview needs to start over. You really need to do some major change to the preview functionality.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Rendering speed improvements

Render speeds in general seem to be going backwards. My computers keep getting faster, your render speeds keep getting slower.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Cache Work Area in Background

While working, it can really speed up playback and workflow if after effects can cache the work area in the background. This can work very well with the new architecture which it was removed from.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. FASTER ROTOBRUSH & PENCILS.

You could accelerate by GPU the rotobrush tool. And all the pencils in general.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base