After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. better handling of large illustrators files

Large (pixel wise) illustrator files take forever to preview the first time you open it in your comp, I don't recall it being that long I would say prior to CC2015 please take a look at it

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After Effects UI is EXTREMELY SLOW (mainly on PC)

After Effects, particularly on a PC with Windows and a 4K screen behaves extremely slow. I have 1080ti GPU and a 9940x CPU at 4.5 ghz and 128gb of ram. The more layers I add the slower it gets. It's ok that the frames take longer to render, but why does the ENTIRE UI need to be slower and slower. Can't I scrub the timeline in the same speed and regardless of frames taking longer to render??? On a mac this is faster, though still slow. This is the MAIN reason why After Effects feels horribly slow and it is…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add an option in settings to automatically purge Disk Cache when AE is closed and/or opened.

Would be great to constantly have the disk cache cleared when I don't need it. Clear it out every time I open and/or close After Effects and it will keep things running smoothly and not have 300gb of cache sitting on my hard drive. Thank you very much!

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Optimize UI performance on 4k screens

UI was working fine and smooth using 1920x1080, but since the day I work with a 4k monitor it is terribly slow. I had to tweak some windows settings to get better performance, but this makes the UI look blurry... so either an awfully slow UI or a blurry UI...

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. After Effects brush bug

After Effect's pen pressure for the brush isn't compatible with the latest Wacom tablet drivers. I've seen this topic a lot in the Adobe forums, but it seems that Adobe has not yet addressed this issue.

In the attached picture I've selected Brush 19. When Size is set to Pen Pressure (as in the photo), I can only draw those very thin and almost invisible lines on the left. When the Size is set to Off, I can only draw those two thicker lines in the middle. This seems to be a common issue in AE with no fix yet,…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make cache playback work with UI scaling in Windows 10

When any scaling other than 100% is set in Windows10, cache playback will never hit realtime, although its reading from a cache SSD, like in my case. This is really annoying.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. bring back brainstorm.

the little button that makes things.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Still can't use 4K monitors with AE

We are up to v16of this program and I am still unable to use my 4K monitors to the fullest (or close to it) because I get random black vertical lines on my timeline when scrubbing or previewing, and also RAM preview does not work. It just won't preview in real time.

I have to set my monitors to the Windows recommended scaling of 200%, which makes everything bigger, but I would like to set it to 150%-175% to have more real state. I think this is something that should get attention as i'm pretty sure many people have this…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BUG: Sync Settings NEVER WORKS.

Every time I upgrade After Effects to a new version, sync settings fails. Currently trying to upgrade to cc2019 from cc2018. From cc2018 select sync, 'Upload' and get message "Settings are already in sync with Creative Cloud. No synchronization necessary." Open cc2019, select sync 'Download' and get message "There are no settings stored in Creative Cloud for this account. No synchronization was performed." I tried looging out and then back in of the account to no avail. This issue has repeated itself every update cycle.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix "cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback".

I'm currently in 2018 cc and I just hit space once and it doesn't preview anything. Then I save and when i open the after effects the box is my composition doesn't show anything. This is really annoying because I tried everything, purge the cache and all.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Unspecified Drawing Error Bug

Unspecified Drawing Error Bug. All of a sudden popping up on 5 different computers and causing many hours of wasted time and lost work.

Please look into this bug / problem.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. complex compositions significantly slow the comp/timeline panel responsiveness down, especially on Windows

As recorded here:
    https://youtu.be/WH9BVhcAXgo

..when working with even semi-complex compositions with many layers, the composition panel becomes quite sluggish and slow to respond. Curiously, this is especially bad on Windows even if you throw very high end hardware at it. OSX does get slower in the same type of projects, but isn't nearly as bad. Experienced on multiple machines, over multiple versions of Windows, this is something that's been an issue for years, if not has always been there.

No system resources are being maxed out here. It would go a long ways for UX if you could at least…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Incremental Iterative RAM Preview

We commit lots of RAM Previews daily and oftentimes, we view a RAM preview on repeat. Going from Zero to when the RAM Preview is ready for viewing takes x number of seconds. Oftentimes, we can make do without a full, fps preview when we just want a quick look to ensure what we're doing is going as planned - things moving in the right direction; general layout looks as expected and layers are looking as expected. For this, a RAM Preview in 2s or 3s is sufficient. However, user experience can be improved if we combined these truths with…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. bug report: add to media encoder queue is broken

On After Effects 2020 when I tried to send my compositions to Media Encoder Queue, Media Encoder started and opened but nothing was added to the queue list. I tested this several times with different projects and several compositions.
    I also tested sending Premiere Pro 2020 sequences to Media Encoder Queue and everything worked fine - so my conclusion is that something in Dynamic Link from After Effects is broken.
    I'm working on a MacBook pro 2018 on iOS Catalina.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. AE CC 2019 Slowing down [Windows]

There is an issue where After Effects will slow down after having the program open for a while. Purging the cache doesn't work and the only solution is to quit and re-open it. The issue occurs on heavy projects or very simple projects with minimal layers.

This issue seems to only be on Windows as I haven't experienced this on Macs.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Render speed 700% slower because of expressions?

I've created a very simple, JSON driven lower-third in AE, whose layers are automatically sized, positioned, formatted and animated. It consists of 2x text, 2x shape layers, 0 effects–apart of sliders–and 11 expressions.

Render time, w/ expressions in AE: 42s
    Render time, w/ expressions in aerender: 42s
    Render time, w/ expressions in AME: 14s
    RAM preview at full resolution, w/ expressions in AE: 5s

Render time, w/o expressions in AE: 6s
    Render time, w/o JSON, but w/ expressions in AE: 14s

This happens under Windows 10 and OSX 10.12 on two separate machines; I've taken care of purging the disk…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. audio playback is inconsistent, not reliable and sucks. It used to work and now it doesn't. IT HAS NOT BEEN FIXED IN V2018.

Audio cache is inconsistent, not reliable and generally doesn't work well. it has been damaged since re-writing software. this is a VITAL function for many that do spot work and need reliable audio for timing. How this slips through the cracks I do not know. PLEASE JUST FIX IT. PRONTO. I am a user fro v4. I have slowly watched the train run off the tracks since CC and this is just unacceptable.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. AE 22.4.0 is horrendously slow

Sorry, I'm not sure what else to say about this other then AE 22.4.0 is EXTREMELY slow in performance all round. I mean the timeline takes forever to cache and render just a single frame for the viewport.

I rolled back to 22.0 and the speed difference is chalk and cheese. 22.0 is an order of magnitude faster.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Disable layers from expressions

When exporting expression-driven mogrts, many times expressions continue to slow down the mogrt, even in precomps, even if their layer.transform.opacity is 0;

I would propose an expression for enabling and disabling a layer entirely. The expression would have to have it's own editor on the layer itself, returning true or false. It would in effect set the 'eye' icon status. This pseudo-property could become visible directly underneath the layer in the timeline by alt-cllcking the eye icon.

This expression would be the first one the expression engine looks at, and only if it is blank or true, will it evaluate…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base