After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multi frame rendering - broken

Full details in this thread - https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/help-with-multi-frame-rendering/m-p/12603954#M189246

Full core utilisation for MFR does not work after the first use

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Windows 11 + AE unusable

So I had to work on an older project which needed updating.

On booting up and opening the project in after effects, it took over 2 minutes just to render the preview, at half quality. The same for any changes made to the project, such as (but not limited to);

• toggling layer visibility

• creating new simple layers such as solids or just text

• deleting layers

After even allowing an Adobe mission to have a look via remote access but they could see the problem for themselves and look at all the settings or after effects and even stuff like my…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. After effect 22.0 layers become unresponsive

when you are creating any layers, immediately they become unresponsive. changing colours, saving file, selecting various tools all works but it doesn't reflect on the layers as nothing changes. Even if you hide the layer by turning off the eye icon, the layer is still not hidden. The work area is stuck while all other things work. When you close the project and open new composition, it opens up the same project in the stuck state. I have been figuring this issue since last 3 days. each time i have to force quit AE and still haven't a clue as…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. CUSTOM GPU SELECTION

Im running after effects 2022. Im on the newest Mac Por Tower. I have (2) GPU's installed. The normal AMD Radion Pro 580X, and the AMD Radion Pro w5700x. When I goto my AE preferences, then "Fast Previews" and click on my "GPU information" it shows im only using my Radion 580X, not the the much faster W5700X. i have worked with your team on troubleshooting this and there's no way for after effects to recognize my W5700x. I would be great if after effects allowed me to select what GPU i'd like to use for my renders and previews.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Terrible performance

After Effects 2022 is the slowest version launched. Freezes a lot, the preview is unbearable even on light compositions (i7-6800k, Geforce 1070 8g, 64gb RAM, 2 SSDs (one for the software, one entirely for cache).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. RAM Preview Issue on macOS Monterey

I'm having an issue since upgrading to the new MacBook Pro & macOS Monterey -- in After Effects, doing extremely simple logo animation (nothing but some vector points moving), the preview works when I first open AE but then will be no more than 1 second long after about 5 minutes of use. Frequently, I get the error to the effect of "there must be more than 2 frames in the cache to preview." In Activity Monitor, I can see that AE is using almost the entirety of my computer's 16GB of RAM at that point.

I am having a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Rotobrush v2 optimised for GPU

Rotobrush v2 should be optimised for GPU(s).
    If the tool was heavily optimised, it will be used a lot more as a quick goto tool.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Startup "Cleaning Up" freezes when mapped network drives are connected but not accessible

After Effects 18.4.1 (Build 4)
    After Effects 22.0.1 (Build 2)

Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

I have 2 drives mapped on my machine one for a local NAS and another for a work server I access via VPN.
    When connected to the VPN the NAS drive is not accessible and vice-versa.
    AE freezes for several seconds, sometimes a couple of minutes while starting up at the "Cleaning Up" part if any of the drives are mapped but not accessible.
    Having File Explorer fail to connect to the inaccessible drive seems to sometimes improve the freezing period.
    Disconnecting an…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Multi frame rendering having trouble with cached frames

Hi
    this already happened a couple of times.
    I leave the comp for some time - the bg mfr rendering kikcs in - the green cache bar fills up.
    When it's done i go to the beginning of the comp hit Space (or 0 - doesn't seem to matter) and the playback starts properly in the native project framerate.
    Suddenly at some point of the timeline playback stops, and it seems these frames get rendered again - they are still cached - green bar and everything - but the CTI seems to go as if it's rendering one by one.…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multi Frame Rendering slowing down machine

Working on a 2.5 minute timeline, lots of layers, but very powerful machine, 128gb ram, 4 GFX cards, i9-9940X CPU -- green ram preview bars would appear, but playback would be impossibly slow, even on playback of just text on the screen. I went and turned MFR off and instantly was able to use my project again. :shrugging-emoji: Can't share file due to IP but... yeah this was not good. I was losing my mind and on deadline.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Why can't we turn of "Speculative Preview" option - AE 2022

I tried the "Speculative Preview" option and it seemed like a great feature .. but the I realized that it is eating RAMs on background .. which means if I am checking my mail -for an instance- AE will take all the available ram to make idle rendering, and that causes a lot of lags and freezes in my windows
    so simply put a "turn of" button for those who doesn't want the option .. or an option to limit its access to RAMs

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multiframe rendering checkbox in Preview Panel

Multiframe rendering is necessery, ok nice, BUT if this option is turn-on, another app die. Example Blender.
    We don't need (in my case) every time this option ON. I usally use for preview and somethimes for render. Easy way for turn On and Off this functionality is add the same checkbox in Preview panel.
    Another update try to use GPU performance.
    thanks

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [BUG] Not saving the project while connected to secondary monitor on apple M1

Macbook Pro 2020 M1 chip Big Sur
    When I connect my Macbook Pro to a secondary display (Apple Cinema Display Thunderbolt 2) After Effects does not save the project. no matter using a keyboard shortcut or clicking on Save on File menu. even on save prompt on closing the project does not operate. It doesn't return any error or message, it simply ignores the save command.
    Without secondary monitor connected it works as expected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hi CPU Usage at ilde in version 2022

Since I update to version 2022 AE always push the CPU to the maximum when i open file without doing any action, and this cause the fun to run to the maximum also, and on activity monitor it show AE use 300% CPU. and this happen in 2 different MAC devices, iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB Mac OS big sur, and macbook pro, i7 with Mac OS big sur
    right now I just roll back to the previous version,

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Deleting comps does not delete all the effects' data

i observed that when deleting all comps except folders, my file saved at 3.5 MB. i rebuilt the identical folder structure from scratch; the saved file was only 11 KB – 0.3%!! 99.7% of the larger file is garbage data.

I built a user template from old projects, deleting the data. It was slow to load. I deleted all the comps and kept the folders because sometimes I only need the folders. That file was the 3.5M file. I looked inside the aepx but could not delete the data (not sure what to delete). I built the folder template from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bug report: "Undo group mismatch, will attempt to fix"

Getting this bug almost daily. It does not seem to be triggered by any specific action. The alert "Undo group mismatch, will attempt to fix" pops up and multiple recent steps are undone, so I've lost a few minutes of work. I've enabled logging and will upload a log file next time it happens. It may be related to the GeoLayers plugin as it started happening after I installed the plugin recently.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. After Effects 2020 is very slow please help

Hello,
    I am using AAE 2020. Preview is very slow, i am trying to use simple template like Europe Map Toolkit from video hive and its paint full slow. Maybe you can say where is my bottleneck?
    My specification:
    48GB ram
    AMD ryzen 5 3600
    GPU nvidia 980
    motherboard with x570 chip
    I know gpu is not supperted, but i marked use CUDA.
    Thanks for any tips :)
    Regards.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Roto brush propagation is much slower in 18.4.1 version

Propagation slows down drastically as it goes, and after a couple seconds worth of footage rendering, it basically stops and becomes unusable. Using default settings when roto is applied.

After rolling back to Ae 18.1, propagation is literally thousands of times faster. On my system it will propagate a 30sec clip in a couple minutes. Still slows down over time, but something is happening in the new versions of Ae that it gets hung up on very quickly. System specs are attached below.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. AE Comp window freezing / crashing with RAM

Running latest version of AE (18.4.1 Build 4) on a Windows laptop
    16gb RAM
    8gb GPU

When running after effects I can have a simple scene set up just a shape layer with wiggle on the position and an adjustment layer with any effect, wave warp for example, and after RAM previewing a few seconds the memory will fill up and the Comp window will freeze on the frame it's on. I can select anything/type/make changes in the other windows but nothing can be selected in the comp window. I have to restart the program to do anything but it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Faster rendering/previewing of video files within After Effects.

Faster rendering/previewing of video files within After Effects.
    If necessary make it only work with a few codecs.

Example, I need to change the last 5 seconds of a 1 minute project.
    So, I get the last video file I've rendered, put it on a time line and add the last 5 seconds of the updated comp at the end.
    Now it took AE 36 minutes to just re-render the clip before touching those last 5 seconds.
    PR does this in about 10 seconds.

A long time ago, pre-2014 versions, AE was capable of rendering video files pretty quickly, but…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base