After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. True Metal 2 support

In 2015 Adobe said that metal would have improved amazingly After Effects on Mac with 8x faster renders and previews. Now on the settings you can choose Metal instead of OpenCL, but for my results it is at best 5% faster. With Metal 2 released the performance improvement should have been evident but it isn't. It would be amazing if Adobe created an update with a good part of effects fully optimized for Metal (even if not all of them) like they demonstrated in 2015 and with the support of eGPU acceleration on the internal display. I think AE is…

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Horrible Display Bug Crashing 15.1.1 15x Day

I'm not sure what's going on, but this new version has made dragging text or other layers around the screen a ****-shoot as to whether it crashes AE or not. The small silver-lining here (very, very small) is that it saves your project before it crashes with a "1" at the end of your original project name. As a result, I have several projects with a "11111" at the end of the name. FRUSTRATING.

Hard to tell what the culprit is. GPU settings? Other MacBookPro (2016) issue? All I know is that AE 15…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

Can you provide us with a link to a project file that demonstrates the problem? Crash reports (/Users/you/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports) and also system information about your computer will also be helpful. If you prefer not to post publicly, you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com.

We do not reproduce the problems you describe, which usually indicate that the problem is either project- or system-dependent. With more information we can investigate. Thanks.

6. weak optimization

That's not a first time I writing about the problem! After Effects CC 2018 Optimization is just terrible while same Premiere version works great! I'm working with same video file (4K, 29 fps, 1 min length), and AE can't even play smoothly the file on the timeline. In addition, the rendering time (via Media Encoder) is longer X10 than Premiere rendering (rendering settings also are same!!!). All app settings are same and GPU support is on! So when I checked the resource monitor, I see that Premiere uses about 70-90% of the CPU, and about 40% of the GPU. AE…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Visible Keyframes in Timeline creates MASSIVE memory suck

It seems that the more keyframes that are visible in the timeline has a direct impact on memory usage On Windows 10, up to date CC. For a simple Pos/Rot/Scale track, by seeing 10 seconds worth of keyframes uses 20 gigs of Ram. Scroll just to the right where there's no keyframes. Down to 7 gigs. Is this a known bug or an underlying programming necessity to load keyframe data that's visible into RAM?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. there is abig problem i see in after effect cc2018, sometimes while you scrole fonts appear dangrous message tell us: after effect error ct

there is abig problem i see in after effect cc2018, sometimes while you scrole fonts appear dangrous message tell us: after effect error ct

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix Interface Performance Issues Mac OSX 10.11.6

I'm experiencing multiple slow downs in the After Effects interface. Here is a clear example of what I am experiencing with drawing masks in the render view. I'm comparing CC2014 vs CC2018.
    https://app.frame.io/d/e510f299-0387-4841-a19a-494a9d6f37d3

Same machine on both. ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB. Triple monitor setup. I usually have Chrome and PureRef open. I've noticed it get much worse when Illustrator 2018 is also open at the same time. I can't even play a simple two keyframe box animation at full frame rate even when RAM previewed. https://imgur.com/a/YViDTXU

Sometimes the interface gets so slow that I can see the little twirl…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bug report: Dynamically linked scenes from Character Animator not displaying properly

My scene in AE was working until a few days ago. Now, after replacing some footage with an updated version, it is displaying the wrong information. When I preview in the timeline it slowly reveals the correct scene. However, upon rendering, it produces the wrong result. AE is very slow for me, so this new issue is very frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make cache playback work with UI scaling in Windows 10

When any scaling other than 100% is set in Windows10, cache playback will never hit realtime, although its reading from a cache SSD, like in my case. This is really annoying.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Stttuer Please

Could you solve this problem please? it's been two years with this annoying bug to write

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2345891

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. FASTER ROTOBRUSH & PENCILS.

You could accelerate by GPU the rotobrush tool. And all the pencils in general.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Master comps performance

Nice to finally have something like master properties. However, when you put many of the same "master comps" in a composition, playback performance gets really bad.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improved UI responsiveness

The UI response is slower depending on amount of layers (even if layers as simple as a shape circle) ....and it also is greatly dependend on CPU clockspeed and screen resolution. Scrubbing line in the timeline jitters as if the program struggle to move a vertical line of UI without even updating the preview frames.

Example: Going from my 6 core 4.4GHZ machine to a 16 Core 3.8GhZ Threadripper GREATLY reduce the UX experience within the program, despite all other hardware being the same. And no other program has given me anything near the same slowdowns as AE.

The UI…

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Unspecified Drawing Error Bug

Unspecified Drawing Error Bug. All of a sudden popping up on 5 different computers and causing many hours of wasted time and lost work.

Please look into this bug / problem.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. audio playback is inconsistent, not reliable and sucks. It used to work and now it doesn't. IT HAS NOT BEEN FIXED IN V2018.

Audio cache is inconsistent, not reliable and generally doesn't work well. it has been damaged since re-writing software. this is a VITAL function for many that do spot work and need reliable audio for timing. How this slips through the cracks I do not know. PLEASE JUST FIX IT. PRONTO. I am a user fro v4. I have slowly watched the train run off the tracks since CC and this is just unacceptable.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug after updating to 15.1

After updating Ae to the current version the program became buggy.

Pop-up dialogue boxes are just white (no buttons visible), program becomes unresponsive and can't perform tasks like pre-compose.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Help!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Reveal Composition in project not working

Using the latest Version of AE 15.11.0 and MacOS 10.13.4. The "Reveal Composition in Project" feature is not working properly. It is should reveal the comp in the project window but no longer does this.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug: Crash during save using Master Properties and Joysticks 'n Sliders

CC 15.1 - MacOS 10.13.3 - J 'n S 1.6

See steps below, but boils down to when creating a new pre-comp from a shape layer using J 'n S, any subsequent save will crash AE.

Steps to recreate:

1. create a new comp, add shape layer, add Joysticks 'n Sliders to shape layer
    2. add any property from J 'n S controller to Essential Graphics / Master Properties
    3. pre-comp shape layer
    4. save
    5. crash
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base