After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AE Multicores

We need the AE to use all the cores of the processor for a better experience, because using only a nucleus loses a lot in productivity.
    Adobe, look a little more for us please!

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bits per pixel depth appied per comp vs globally

It would be great to have pixel bit depth editable on a per comp basis rather than a global project-wide preference. This would be similar to the preference to appoint different 3D renderers and color spaces to comps.

38 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Replace Media Bug

The fastest way I can relink media is by clicking the name, copying it, then clicking out of the file name. Double click the file name and then the replace media pops up. Do a search and it will find it again in explorer on PC and if I'm on Mac then I just watch Finder not find anything.

The problem:
    Too many clicks
    Clicking out from the copying of the name makes the file names in the project panel all jump. It is really the annoyance if it that I'm writing here now.
    When opening a PC made AE…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow plug-ins to output values for expressions to reference

Even though the new Javascript engine will evaluate scripts faster, it would still be great if plug-ins made with the SDK could calculate and output data values that can be reference/pickwhipped by expressions.

For example, take the 2d positions of 2 nulls and output in the plug-in UI :

A slider showing distance between them
    2d Point showing the midpoint between the positions
    Angle showing the angle between the points
    Stretch % based on the distance between the points relative to their original distance.

This is a very simple example, but if you're calculating Inverse Kinematics you end up duplicating…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Optimize Shapes and vector layers

Currently the biggest bottleneck or noticeable speed degredation for me after getting a CPU with more cores and a lower clockspeed has been shape layers and vectors. If I have a comp with lets say 100 small shape circles, the FPS in After Effects drops to such a low level it is hard to even work. Since things are being optimized in After Effects and tasks are being moved to the GPU, this is one area of the program I would really like to be improved. Shapes and vector layers are very commonly used, so it shouldn't be such a…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix "cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback".

I'm currently in 2018 cc and I just hit space once and it doesn't preview anything. Then I save and when i open the after effects the box is my composition doesn't show anything. This is really annoying because I tried everything, purge the cache and all.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. provide multi-threaded support for tracking

tracking 4k footage using the tracker is very slow regardless of core count. give aftereffects the ability to utilize the rest of the machine's resources.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. After Effects brush bug

After Effect's pen pressure for the brush isn't compatible with the latest Wacom tablet drivers. I've seen this topic a lot in the Adobe forums, but it seems that Adobe has not yet addressed this issue.

In the attached picture I've selected Brush 19. When Size is set to Pen Pressure (as in the photo), I can only draw those very thin and almost invisible lines on the left. When the Size is set to Off, I can only draw those two thicker lines in the middle. This seems to be a common issue in AE with no fix yet,…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improved UI responsiveness

The UI response is slower depending on amount of layers (even if layers as simple as a shape circle) ....and it also is greatly dependend on CPU clockspeed and screen resolution. Scrubbing line in the timeline jitters as if the program struggle to move a vertical line of UI without even updating the preview frames.

Example: Going from my 6 core 4.4GHZ machine to a 16 Core 3.8GhZ Threadripper GREATLY reduce the UX experience within the program, despite all other hardware being the same. And no other program has given me anything near the same slowdowns as AE.

The UI…

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug report: MP4 slow performance

Importing MP4s from a network drive causes After Effects to take much longer to "refocus" when switching between apps. If there are any MP4s in a project then switching between apps and then back to AE can cause very noticeable delays before AE becomes responsive again. This has been a problem since at least CC 2017.

This behaviour is still a problem even when the "automatic footage reloading" option is turned off. Removing all MP4s from a project fixes the problem.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Huge Perfomance Problems with after effects

Since the Update to Adobe CC2019 we have huge perfomance issues with After Effects, every slight render takes forever and even the smalles actions are lagging and dont perform well at all. We got HP Z440 Workstations with Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4 @3.50 Ghz, 64 GB of RAM and an nVidia Qadro M2000 GPU. The interesting thing is that the pc isnt stressed at all, we got 60 gig RAM reserved for AE but it uses only 4 – 6 at a time.Any else got this problem and hopefully a soltion?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Give options For GPU choice

Allow an artist to choose which gpu to use if hooked up to an egpu, for example internal or external as at the moment, After effects is defaulting to the egpu rather than the internal one

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. After effects render slows down when using Spaces on Mac OSX

After effects render slows down when using Spaces on Mac OSX.
    When After effects renders and I move to another Space in MacOSX after a while it seems the render running in the background is slowing down significantly until I move back to the Space with After Effects. When I move back to After Effects the render immediately speeds back up to normal speed. Renders in the queue that take about 1 minute suddenly take more than 5 minutes when moving outside the After Effects Space.
    I'm not doing something demanding when I move outside the After Effects Space, mainly…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unable to interact with other programs

I work on multiple PCs where this has happened. There are some times when I'm working in CC2019 that I'll try to interact with another window (a Chrome window, Premiere, etc) and won't be able to. I will only be able to interact with After Effects. The only way for me to fix this is to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. After that, I have functionality in all my programs again. This only seems to happen when I'm using After Effects. None of the other programs do this.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Render speeds

In the year 2018, going on 2019, there is no reason why After Effects should not be one of, if not the fastest program on the market. Multicore processing, and CUDA based rendering is available in just about every piece of software EXCEPT After Effects. That is just dumb. Make that happen in 2019. You're welcome.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Faulty composition preview

I was working on a project today when the preview window of my composition went completely blank, when I moused over the layers of my composition, the bounding box appeared but the artwork was not viewing. I recall having this problem before and its clearly frustrating to say the least. Several hours of work have been lost.

I reset the preferences with command shift and alt and the composition still won’t view. Other compositions will show. Its just this one that is faulty. I will have to incrementally save from now on to prevent this issue becoming a minor disaster

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. RAM Preview

RAM preview isn't working today. Cache and database are empty, yet when I hit space bar all I can hear is the music, nothing happens with the animation. And no, Caps Lock isn't on. I'm sure it's just a matter of the new update rendering my fully-speced 2017 iMac useless, but it would be good if I could get another year out of it.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. CC Light Burst 2.5 on a shape layer with a high ray length will not render the frame at high numbers

When using CC Light Burst 2.5 on a shape layer, rendering the frame seems to stop at high ray length values, where the rays will leave scene.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Can you please test and confirm if NVIDIA 940MX is supported by After Effects?

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Device: GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2
    Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 391.25
    Total Memory: 3.96 GB
    Shader Model: 4.0 or later

CUDA
    Driver Version: 9.1
    Devices: 1 (GeForce 940MX) (unsupported)
    Current Usable Memory: 3.33 GB (at application launch)
    Maximum Usable Memory: 4.00 GB

It is showing that it is unsupported but my processor is starts running once I open After Effects. Could you please test and confirm if this is supported by After Effects?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

What type of support are you requesting?

After Effects supports Nvidia, AMD, and Intel graphics chipsets for Mercury GPU acceleration. (Enabled in Project Settings > Video Rendering and Effects.) We have not specifically tested or certified the GeForce 940MX chipset, but it should meet requirements. If you can not set the project to use Mercury GPU Acceleration (CUDA), install the latest drivers from the Nvidia web site. (This is assuming that you are using Windows. CUDA is not supported by After Effects on macOS, but Metal and OpenCL should be available.)

The Ray-traced 3D renderer (Composition Settings > 3D Renderer) has been deprecated as of After Effects 16.0 and will be removed in a future release. We no longer certify cards for compatibility with this feature, and recommend that you use the CINEMA 4D renderer instead.

20. I want save ram preview to come back. I know there are work arounds, but they aren't as good as save ram preview

I would love it if you could select save ram preview from the preview panel and it would just save your ram preview as a video with a codec you defined.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base