After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multi-frame Rendering Stops Working

[AE 22.1.1 (Build 74)]

About 2/3'rds of the way multi-frame rendering seems to stop working when rendering my project. Initially it renders around 10 - 13 frames at the same time. This then drops down to only rendering 1 frame at a time (sometimes going up to 2 frames, but then down again to 1). Nothing in the project changed. This happens during the actual render. Seems this thread (https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/help-with-multi-frame-rendering/m-p/12603954#M189246) is experiencing like-wise behavior from AE. Definitely think this is a bug, so really not gonna waste time trying to re-install, etc as the thread above have tried…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Interface is Slow and Laggy

Dear Adobe,

Me again.

Please stop everything that you're doing with the development of new bells and whistles and doodads and put all your resources and firepower into resolving the years-old issue of the Slow and Laggy Interface in After Effects. Seriously. It's been YEARS. I kept thinking, "ah, they'll fix it soon.." and hope for the best and I end up feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every time a new update for After Effects comes out. "Maybe they fixed it!" And it's still not fixed.

When I contact Support I'm told, "the issue that you…

250 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Improve Performance with 4K+ footage

I am experiencing painfully slow UI lag / app hanging when trying to work with comps and footage at or above 4k at full quality. Even empty comps slow down the app dramatically unless I change the quality of the viewer to 50% or lower.

I've tried turning off hardware acceleration and it seems to help for a short time but eventually the application just starts hanging. It's terrible. Trying to use the Tracker tool on 4K+ footage is painfully slow with the app hanging for 30 seconds at a time.

I have a powerful workstation (Windows 10 Pro, AMD…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. After latest update I can't even move a shape layers without it pinwheeling...

After last update After Effects pinwheels just moving shape layers. The entire comp is nothing but basic shape layers and yet any slight move or adjustment to them results in the pinwheel having to tick every single time for a second or more. I'm about to downgrade because this is untenable, but I shouldn't be surprised at this point. I'm on a brand new topped off 16" M1 MacBook Pro Max with latest Monterey.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for filing this. Could you please try the latest release of After Effects? The most recent release from last week was After Effects 22.4.

In the past few months there were some bugs where workspaces would not save correctly when restarting After Effects. Apologies for the disruption As of 22.4, all the bugs around this issue that we're aware of have been fixed.

If you're still experiencing a problem, please reply here with more detail so we can investigate. We will need to know:

1. What exact version of After Effects you're using.
    2. What OS you're using.
    3. Any error messages you're receiving.
    4. A description of the behavior. i.e., The steps that you take so we can follow and determine where the problem is.
    5. Screenshots or screen recordings are super helpful for error messages or before/after states.
  7. Add an option to turn off expression pre-processing

Evaluating expressions without AE pre-processing them would give a performance improvement to long expressions / expression heavy projects. Obviously this would mean the user would need to be more disciplined in the way they write their expressions but that might be worth the trade off for the performance boost. Would be good to give the option to the user.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. GET RID OF RAM PREVIEW

No more RAM preview. Get rid of it.
    It's 2022 I should be able to SMOOTHLY PLAY BACK MY FOOTAGE. I should be able to play it back in my timeline as if I'm watching it in Quicktime. Full frame rate. Scrubbing. No more stupid RAM preview.

Any subsequence updates that still allow this feature to exist is a waste of time. Stop wasting ours and your time by still supporting After Effects in the form that it is. We don't want it anymore. Fix it, please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Automatically clean disk cache

After Effects should automatically clean the disk cache, removing the oldest cached frames / information as needed to ensure the cache isn't filling to the maximum unnecessarily.

Currently I have 1TB dedicated to my disk cache and have to purge it weekly. This is frustrating because not all of the items should be purged, and removing items selectively isn't currently practical.

Thank you for your consideration of this idea.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Projects from previous version of AE opening like molassess in 2022

AE version: 22.1.1 (Build 74)
    Mac OS: Big Sur 11.6.2

I'm trying to open some AE projects that were created in the 2021 version of AE, and it takes on average 10-15 minutes to open them. Once they're open, I can't get a single frame of the composition to appear in the main window. This has effectively blocked me from doing any work in any of these projects, and since I can't roll back to the previous version of AE (which would block me from opening these projects entirely), I'm not really sure what else I can do.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Multi frame rendering having trouble with cached frames

Hi
    this already happened a couple of times.
    I leave the comp for some time - the bg mfr rendering kikcs in - the green cache bar fills up.
    When it's done i go to the beginning of the comp hit Space (or 0 - doesn't seem to matter) and the playback starts properly in the native project framerate.
    Suddenly at some point of the timeline playback stops, and it seems these frames get rendered again - they are still cached - green bar and everything - but the CTI seems to go as if it's rendering one by one.…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Optimize layered videos.

just, watch the attached video. There's no reason for a moving plate to be hundreds of times easier to compute than a still one. How many optimizations are so niche that they actually hurt performance overall? I get it, an optimized program will no doubt not always have the same efficiency on one frame as another, but this is just silly.

This is the reason my old compositions were all lagging. They all... had un-transformed video files in them. in what world is it less efficient to not calculate movement?

They're the same video, and when they're on top of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. BUG REPORT: RAM Preview gets slower over time (AE 22.3.0)

Ram preview gets slower overtime (caching/rendering) and then even stop or slows to a crawl. Would have to restart it to then have it go fast then gets slower overtime. Rinse Repeat. This has to be some sort of bug. My system is pretty powerful. Uploaded a video showing the sympton.

Specs
    AE 22.3.0 (MFR - ON)
    Windows 11 (lastest)
    AMD 5950x
    Gigabyte Vision D B550 Motherboard
    128 GB Ram
    2TB NVME (Cache)
    Nvidia 3090 with lastest Drivers

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Multilayer OpenEXR Sequence Rendering Problems

Ladies and Gents, good day to everyone

I'm trying to figure out an error code, just cant get along with, someone might be that kind, explain me what happens..

The situtation:

I'm working in Blender (3.1.2) and import my Multilayer OpenEXR sequences into After Effects 22.3 (Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2 OS build 22000.613), try to render it in different formats with different codecs (.mp4, ProRes 422 | HQ) always got an error message in the middle of the process

Error code 9997
    (I'm using the right color information imported from Blender + Extractor)
    Anyone having slight hint, why it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Expressions break MFA

Expressions cuurently seriously slow doem Multi-frame rendering.
    Using math.Round on a slider to count up whole numbers on one text layer means it is considerably quicker to use a single thread.
    Machine is 8x16GB RAM in Threadripper Pro 3955WX. Think there are issues with expressions and multi-frame rendering.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. BUG: multi-second delay when cutting and pasting type within AE

I've been using AE since 3.1, and never seen this before.

There's a lag when cutting and pasting type, and the pasted text only appears if I then strike a key, such as the down arrow. This is true of cutting as well: there's a lag before the cut text disappears.

I'm on a Mac M1 Studio Ultra, 128 GB memory, the font is Helvetica, and I'm pasting type created within AE, not from another doc. The comp is HD, with one layer, text-only. It happens whether the it's point or paragraph text. It happens with other fonts as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Reduce/remove video memory requirement for GPU accel

22 has significantly reduced performance somehow. I really wish I had GPU acceleration right now.

I used to get realtime rendering, and caching/pre-render performance was bizarrely inconsistent between plays, but it wasn't causing nearly as painful an experience. I get almost no realtime playback now, no matter what I do.

I've got a GTX 660 (and good luck finding a video card today; there should be some empathy around this by developers) with 1.95 GB memory. The requirement is 2.0 GB, which, as you can imagine, is incredibly frustrating.

Please reduce the VRAM requirement and allow forcing GPU acceleration for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please do something about this "condition".

Please do something about this condition (i see there's increasing reports on this): After Effects is getting slower and slower while rendering any format or codec. I thought it was because of some turbulence effects, but its slows down no matter how complex or simple the composition is. Rendering basic png or jpg sequence of 1:30 min. ti h.264 (without any effects) took over an hour. Please don't tell me to check my settings or meet the system requirements, because I know how it was working before. Any suggestions? Merci!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. BIB Error (83::3) is not letting me work

BIB Error (83::3) is not letting me work

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Multiframe Preview Disk Cache

Multiframe Previewing is great, it's so much faster, however I have noticed that Multiframe Previewing seems to choke up over time. I've found that if I clear the Disk Cache and restart After Effects it goes back to the expected speed.

I'm sure this is a bug that can be squashed and Multiframe Previewing will be fantastic going forward!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base