After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

865 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

370 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everybody!

(This post was co-authored by Tim Kurkoski (After Effects Product Owner), Andrew Cheyne (After Effects Engineering Manager), and Victoria Nece (After Effects Product Manager).)

This thread has been sitting here for quite a while without a response. To start, we want to apologize for that. We haven’t been ignoring you or your feedback – this is just a particularly complex topic. That said, it’s time for us to check in with you, clarify a few things, and give you an idea of what we’re looking at for the future of After Effects, especially when it comes to performance.

To start, we fully understand that you want After Effects to be as fast as it can be – utilizing your computer’s hardware resources to render as fast as possible. Over the last several years, we have been working on the performance of After Effects constantly. Sometimes those performance gains…

2. AE 2020 fixed ram preview for me... YAY! However, Numberpad "." no longer previews just the audio

AE 2020 fixed ram preview for me... YAY! However, Numberpad "." no longer previews just the audio. If I hit the "." key, the play-head moves across the timeline, but there's no audio... and I don't see anything in the audio levels display either. If, however, if I enable video preview in the Numberpad "." preview, I get audio... AND video—which obviously defeats the purpose of an audio-only preview.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Upgraded to AE 2020 - Display Acceleration Disabled

Just updated to AE 2020, and I can't Preview video on timeline anymore. When I scrub playhead I can see the animation, but when I hit Play, I'm getting just static frame (timeline even fully cached). There is also "Display Acceleration Disabled" alert in the corner of the Comp. Could you fix this issue asap?

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug: After Effects 2020 crashes on zoom

After Effects 2020 keeps crashing when I use my Apple Wireless Magic Mouse 2 to zoom in. As soon as I slide my finger, the application crashes. It seems like it's isolated to one specific pre-comp.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. BUG: Undo not updating viewer window until move viewer or zoom

When you undo currently then the viewer doesn't update. The bounding box of what has been undone moves into place but the image doesn't update until you move or zoom into the image

Running AE 16.1

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Disk playback instead of RAM,

I get that 20 years ago hard drives weren't the quickest and there was a limited choice in codecs so it made sense to playback from RAM. But now we all have SSDs and DNxHR exists I don't get why AE has not been re-written to playback straight from a hard drive rather than moving it into RAM first. It would be great for AE to playback from disk with a choice of codec and bit depth dependent on a users needs and system capability, much in the way that Resolve does with smart cache (see pic). Uncompressed I gather…

163 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. bug report: add to media encoder queue is broken

On After Effects 2020 when I tried to send my compositions to Media Encoder Queue, Media Encoder started and opened but nothing was added to the queue list. I tested this several times with different projects and several compositions.
    I also tested sending Premiere Pro 2020 sequences to Media Encoder Queue and everything worked fine - so my conclusion is that something in Dynamic Link from After Effects is broken.
    I'm working on a MacBook pro 2018 on iOS Catalina.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Optimize UI performance on 4k screens

UI was working fine and smooth using 1920x1080, but since the day I work with a 4k monitor it is terribly slow. I had to tweak some windows settings to get better performance, but this makes the UI look blurry... so either an awfully slow UI or a blurry UI...

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. An auto suggestion for which rendering method would be fastest based on system and project

Since the interplay between CPU, GPU and RAM is ever-changing between projects dependent on effects, footage, etc... It would AMAZING if there was an algorithm that would tell use which method would render fastest based on the specific project and system resources available.

i.e. project contains h.264 footage, shape layers, and GPU accelerated effects = PNG sequence from the Render Queue would be fastest.

OR

project would benefit from being sent to Media Encoder and GPU Metal pipeline.

Since there is some kind of magic that we don't really know how After Effects utilitzes system resources, it would be great…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bug report: memory leak

After the update to the latest version of Ae, I keep getting the message "After Effects (83:: 2) After Effects error: memory leak", every time I close After Effects.
    Am using late 2015 iMac, 27-inch and macOS 10.14.5

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. waveform

Whenever Waveform is on screen Timeline is impossibly sluggish. This makes it **** working with VO. Please fix.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. bug fix / GPU problems

AE 2020 has playback issues with final quality mode when using GPU acceleration. You have to view in preview mode or turn GPU off for smooth playback. There are several complaints in the forums already. I am on a PC with Nvidia RTX cuadro. Needs fixing....

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. "Caps Lock" not working when navigating with keyboard

When navigating with the keyboard in the timeline, the viewport updates the current frame! This is not how it should work!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. BUG: GPU failure error with MP4 in timeline

After the update to 16.1.2 I get an error when I have an MP4 file into my timeline. It's a simple HD MP4 which gave me no issues prior to the update. There are no effects on the layer. Windows 10, Nividia GTX 1080. Cache clearing does not resolve. Please advise.

Error: "After Efects has encountered a failure related to GPU-enabled effects on this frame. This is likely because your GPU is out of memory."

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Can Mocha AE be updated to allow unsupported graphics cards again?

It appears to have a bug where ticking 'allow unsupported graphics cards' (in order to get the Quadro RTX 4000 to perform motion tracking in the tool) in the Mocha AE settings does take - it forgets the setting on restart of AE or re-entering the plugin in the same session (and doesn't immediately affect the performance either).

Mocha Pro has had the fix for a while now - it sounds like it was a driver incompatibility introduced by Nvidia.

It would be good to actually extend support to all the Quadro cards to, rather than just the RTX 5000…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Camera Lens Blur Effect : GPU Accelerated Please!

I use the Camera Lens Blur effect often, because it's awesome for creating realistic Depth of Field- when you plug a depth matt into it.
    This can be a Zdepth pass from a 3D renderer, or you can just paint one up in Photoshop to use on motion tracked matt painting work.
    Or mock up a simple instagram 'tilt-shift' treatment with a couple masks in a precomp (attached 4k example AE Project)
    It's the most sophisticated spatial blur in the AE toolbox, and it is super CPU intensive!
    Vote this up to get on the list of GPU accelerated Effects…

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. ram playback/preview issue in ae 2020

I have a late 2012 iMac— just updated to AE 2020 and am having playback/preview issues that don't exist in AE 2019.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make after effects faster

I have a beefy pc and after effects runs with 10 fps with Cuda

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug: After effects 2019 16.1.2 render engine, Waits for 2 min until closing after a 2 second long render is complete, AE 2018 15.0 does not

We currently use After effects Rendering engine 2018 in a farm environment to support the production. Those installation packages have all included serials so it works without any issues.

2019 packages on the other hand have been created with FRL as that was suggested as a replacement.

But when we try to render using that packages we get the following issue.
    The render starts and render the frames of our test scene in 1-2 seconds.
    But then the process just sits there, doing nothing at all for another 2min. Waiting on something?. Then it closes it self.

Compared to 2018…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base