After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shape layer Zig Zag should have the option to spread a number of ridges evenly around the whole shape, not just per segment

the existing Zig Zag option on shape layers where it creates a number of ridges per segment of the path is very rarely usable: any curved corner or different length of straight line between point results in the ridges pointlessly bunching up and spreading out in an ugly way rather than making the shape zigzagged/spikey as it should

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support webp file format

In this web-focused world it is surprising to find that After Effects doesn't support the webp format. In fact, even Photoshop doesn't! Please rectify this across the whole applicable product range.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bug report: After Effects CC2018 can't paste text

Bug report: After Effects CC2018 can't paste text. So ctrl+c/ctrl+v work fine with pictures, layers and other stuff, but it doesn't paste text from other sources

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. loop

ugh have a simple check box that makes footage loop.
    why is this not standard. 209302340982048 people want that and it's like algebra to do this one BASIC VIDEO THING.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow us to override embedded color profiles on imported footage

When working in color-managed linear space, when you have an item of footage with an embedded color profile (in the "interpret footage" window), there's no option to override it - the popup of other Profiles is grayed out. This is incredibly annoying when you eg. have supplied footage that is Log, but for some reason has an embedded (or interpreted) profile of REC709. We should always be able to override the default embedded color space in the interpret footage window and assign a new color profile. Applying color profile effects to the layer in a composition is a poor workaround,…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. live collaborative editing

compositions are shareable and can be edited by more than one person at the same time, like a google doc

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make Ae Comp Size change more flexible, by setting the anchor (like Ps Canvas Size).

Ae assumes that when changing the Comp size, the center should stay in the middle. But there are situations where whe want to extend the comp in one direction. In those cases, selecting an Anchor would be great. Just like in Ps Canvas Size.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I cannot have AE 15.0 installed in parallel with 15.1 (new codec - breaks 200 projects for me) and so I have to leave the platform?!?!

I cannot have AE 15.0 installed in parallel with 15.1 (new codec - breaks 200 projects for me) and so I have to leave the platform?!?! Adobe must at least give us a door to open our old AE projects intact with a possibility to do a parallel install of a dot release! As it is now I cannot update and that SUCKS BIGTIME!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Create New Shape Layer Above Existing Selection

Add feature that places new Shape Layers above a selected layer. Nulls and Solids already behave in this manner, so it would just be a matter of applying the same behavior to Shape Layers.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. After Effects Needs a Node Editor (and other small changes that would make it the best software ever)

After Effects could dominate the market if the developers simply did this:

Rewrite the software so that you have the option to work with nodes in a dedicated window AND still use layers as default (Blender does this, so I know it's possible).
    The key to making After Effects the industry dominating software it ought to be, is by keeping the easy to use and super clean UI that it already has, while optimizing its functionality.
    For instance, if After Effects had it's standard "layer" timeline, but also gave users the ability to work 'under the hood' for more complex…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. automatic hyphenation

Integrate automatic hyphenation for Textboxes

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. install older versions of after effects

I can't seem to install older versions of the software up? is this a bug or have they stopped allowing older installs?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Cannot save AE project: "Could not rename the file" shows temporary file name

Hi,
    I am using After Effects V22.01 on Windows 10.
    Lately I have not been able to save my project. It works for a while, then suddenly the problem occurs. I am saving to a AVID server disk.
    The error message reads, "After Effects warning: Could not rename the file 'Y:....<nameOfProject>.4888.8984.aep' to '<nameOfProject.aep'. The number are added by After Effects and seems to be some sort of temporary name? I have to save as to get this working.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. AFTER EFFECTS 2021 18.4.1 Bug > Not relinking / replacing missing files

After effects version 18.4.1 stopped replacing missing files as before:

1 - In previous versions when you replaced a missing file that is located in the same folder as other missing files in the project, AE would smartly re-link all files at once.

Now it is not doing this anymore.

2- In previous versions if on the Project panel search bar, you typed "missing"or even just "miss" it would show all missing media in your project, regardless of what type of media it is. Now you can only view missing media by specifically typing "missing footage"or "missing fonts" ", "missing…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Save" MOGRT tags/keywords to project

I work with MOGRTs on the regular, and part of our process is making sure that they're searchable with keywords/tags. But you can only add tags at the export stage, and if you need to reexport those MOGRTs, then you have to retype all those tags in again - there's no way to save them alongside the rest of the project.

What would be great is if we could add the tags to the MOGRT, but have that save with the project so that I don't have to retype the whole set of tags from scratch every time.

In addition,…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Visibility of After Effects Work Space

I am 90 and taking a course in AE for personal enrichment at my local Junior college. The current workspace for AE is all black and the icons at the top are o small - that combination makes it difficult to use. I saw a tutorial on Vimeo in which the workspace was a light grey in color and the icons where reasonably large to be able to use. So I suggest that Adobe make this a new standard for new users and beginners to learn AE more easily. As a former technical writer/editor I wrote highly detailed instructions manuals…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. pen tool switches to add vertex tool automatically when making a mask

pen tool suddenly seems broken and this only happens when making a mask path;

at the first click a vertex is created, at the second click a new vertex with created on the very same vertex that is made from the first click no matter where i click on. At the third click, another vertex is created on the very same point where the first and the second vertex is created and now the path is visible and it appears to be closed at the same time. But it is detected to be a non-closed path when i try and…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix this After Effects 2020 error: 'Can't import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.'

I get this error: 'Can't import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.' when importing an image sequence in to After Effects 2020 (Version 17.0.4 (Build59)). It works just fine when importing the very same image sequence in the previous version of After Effects (Version 16.1.3 (Build 5)) ... This means I can't use the latest version of After Effects (2020), since I work with image sequences all the time. Am I the only one who has encountered this problem? Is there a solution or workaround? Is there an update coming that will fix this problem?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. RTL Language Issue (Arabic)

It seems that there are a lot of hoops to jump through when working with languages that are in the RTL form.

Specifically I'm trying to update a video to Arabic translation and when I paste my text, it comes in backwards.

I've updated my Type prefs, using Adobe Arabic, updated to the latest version of AE (17) and have the correct paragraph direction selected.

I ended up finding this sort of work around, but I have to copy/paste text from the PDF I have, to the website. Then copy/paste the text from the website to my AE file.

While…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base