After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. On screen, granular text formatting tools, accessible to keyframes, expressions, master properties, and mogrts.

There are issues with the current text formatting tools, as we all know. All text properties are buried in a single source text property making it difficult to swap out multi-formatted bits of text in mogrts or with keyframes or expressions, etc.

I think the best way to change this is to add on-screen UI boxes to text. Thin boxes you can use to select different pieces of the text in order to separate characters and/or words, in order to attach properties to them. But the properties would be attached to the boxes, not the words themselves. That way you…

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Python support - EOL extendscript

It's time to move off that old 1995 extendscript and get with Python! I know this is a big one, but we could REALLY use python support for AE. Commandline rendering is incredibly limited and python would be a total game changer for plenty of studios out there. And if Adobe had the idea that their users are not advanced for something like that just look at all of the new stuff constantly appearing on aescripts.com. You have plenty of nerdy developers!

Nuf said.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. separate X and Y scale dimensions option

I separate the X and Y position on layers A LOT, and I often need to do it for the scale of a layer and it's a huge PITA that I can't just right click and separate the dimensions for scale like I can for position

please add this--thanks

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. png naming mismatch AE and AME

Hi there, operating on CC2019 and I have no interest in responses that say move to a newer version.

Rendering a PNG sequence out of AE writes PNG files name format differently to Media Encoder, so if I need to replace PNG frames for a revision and use AE to directly render the replacement frames the naming conventions don't match up - this is an incredible oversight - why would you possibly have AE and Media Encoder write PNG names differently?!?!

Similarly I tried to write my replacement frames in with Media Encoder, and it started to number my frames…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Stroke cap adjustments.

I would love more options for the caps of strokes. People have asked for arrows, and tapers, which are all great. I would love for the angle to be modified. As it is now the cap of a stroke is perpendicular to the path (except in the case of round caps).

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make a new start with innovative young people that have some visions for the future!

AE has missed every important innovation or trends in compositing of the last 10 years.

So, change the old team, make a new start and rework the hole core of the old lady! Its already five past twelve!

1) make it multicore (we will get 64 cores very soon!)
    2) design a competitive, GPU based 3D engine and workflow with the guys form C4D ... only for "simple" tasks (basic deform/modeling, projection mapping, 3D stereo, point cloud i/o(like VDBs), deep comp, raytrace lighting and shading...) but in real 3D and with all importand i/o options.
    3) Rework and open the…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bulk rename layers

Example: You select 5 layers and hit "enter." One of the names highlights and you rename to "NewName" and hit enter again. All five layers get the new name and are already iterated.

NewName1, NewName2, etc.,

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fuji XT-3 10-Bit H.265: clipped highlights render black

There's an issue with 10-Bit H.265 footage shot on the Fuji XT-3 in AE 16.1; clipped highlights appear black in both the viewer and renders. The issue doesn't exist in 16.0.1. This issue also exists in Premiere 13.1, but only when you render, not in the viewer.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Adobe Removed Media Encoder for AE 2014 and AE 2015

Adobe is systematically removing old versions of their software now. I built a new workstation but wasn't able to install Media Encoder for AE 2014 or AE 2015. Hours of tech support calls and dead-ends ended up then disclosing Media Encoder pre 13.X as "End of Life" and no longer supported, nor available for download.

First Photoshop - now Media Encoder. After Effects 2014 and 2015 are next...

I get discontinuing updates - but removing them from creative cloud altogether when many people want to use the older versions of the software because they are faster and more reliable. (See…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. After Effects 15.0+ incorrectly assigns HDTV Rec. 709 2.4 Gamma profile causing gamma shift

In versions after AE 14.2.1.34, importing footage with an embedded HDTV Rec. 709 color profile (like those exported from Avid) gets assigned the HDTV Rec. 709 2.4 Gamma color profile instead of the regular 1.9 gamma profile. So when working in a regular HDTV Rec. 709 color space, the footage is converted unnecessarily and becomes darker. The only way to avoid the color shift is to turn off color management altogether, which is not really a solution in our workflow. In the attached files I've provided a sample footage file exported from Avid with an embedded HDTV Rec. 709 profile,…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Dropdown Scroll

It would be amazing to be able to scroll through plug in drop down presets.

you know how you can Shift +/- to scroll thru layer blend modes? It be great to be able to do something like that on dropdown menus instead of just clicking and selecting (it sucks when there is a lot of choices and you have to click hold and hover over move arrow).

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. the "fix and bug" comments are astounding

maybe focus on STABILITY rather than adding NEW FEATURES.....

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. motion blur and continuously rasterize - Bug

On After Effects CC 2019: When I hit the motion blur button and the continuously rasterize button on a composition, After Effects crashes down or the composition get double and changes its place.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem.

Can you post a project that experiences this problem? And/or a screen recording of the problem in action.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

14. Audio playback is choppy - Bug

Audio playback is choppy and sometimes slows to a crawl in After effects. This happens even without any video in the comp on my win7 PC.
    My configuration is 2x8 core Xeon E5-2630
    32GB RAM
    SSD cache disc
    Audio works fine in all other applications so I assume this is an AE bug.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

We need more information before we can investigate this problem.

Is the audio choppy only while After Effects is rendering previews, or after the composition is cached in RAM and playing back?

While After Effects is rendering a preview, audio playback may be choppy or slowed down, as playback at this point may not be real-time.

Once the preview is rendered and cached (the rendered frames are represented by green marks in the Timeline panel), playback should be real-time and audio playback should be smooth.

You can determine whether or not playback is real-time in the Info panel.

If the problem is only that audio is not smooth while previews are being rendered, you can disable audio during rendering in a couple of different ways:
    - In the Preview panel, enable the Cache Before Playback option. This causes After Effects to not attempt playback…

15. Motion Blur for Animated Masks (like transform motion blurs)

I'd like to have the ability to have motion blur on animated paths, similar to transform motion blurs, to animated paths. It would be a feathered edge.

This is for roto of objects. Currently, we have to roto and then apply RSMB to help with the matte's matching of the motion blur within the underlying footage.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bug report: Can't export from AE CC 2019 with Media Encoder after update

For some reason I cannot export from After Effects CC 2019 with Media Encoder CC 2019.

When selecting export from AE, it opens ME but does not bring the export to queue.

When dragging composition from AE to ME window, it displays message "Connecting to Dynamic Link server..." but does not go further.

Using with macOS version 10.12.6

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Maintain support for Windows 7

40% of Windows machines still run Windows 7. There is no way Microsoft will be able to officially end support in January. Many of us still run Windows 7 for performance and stability reasons. Please keep supporting Windows 7.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. loop

ugh have a simple check box that makes footage loop.
    why is this not standard. 209302340982048 people want that and it's like algebra to do this one BASIC VIDEO THING.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. More/Better Interpolation functions for expressions

With the new Master Properties feature I'm finding myself diving into expressions a lot more.

My only gripe at the moment is that in order to build a smoother animation, you need easing. In order to make keyframed objects customizable (different start and end values), you need to define the values through expressions.

Currently, we only have linear(), ease(), easeIn(), easeOut() for interpolation. Unfortunately none of these look very good, as the difference between ease() and linear() is almost negligible.

Currently I'm running into strange errors defining new functions in master properties (a bug report coming soon), and I'm thinking…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ellipse Path Closing with Trim Paths

There seems to be a bug when working with parametric ellipse paths in tandem with trim paths.

It only seems to occur when the Start or End properties in the trim path are set to 50%, while the other is set to 0%. I've attached a couple videos for reference.

When the ellipse path position is adjusted the ellipse path will occasionally close itself, resulting in an unwanted half-circle. The half circle is a result of the Start property set to 0%, and the End property set to 50%. However, when the values are swapped (Start: 50%, End: 0%) it…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base