After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Import Illustrator Brushes

Since the brush/paint tool uses vector brush shapes, we should be able to import illustrator brushes and use them within After Effects.

12 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Blender

As the world of VFX progresses many of us freelancers end up relying on software like Blender for our animation. Blender is a very commonly used one for both professionals and hobbyists alike. I would like to see Blender be compatible within Adobe software much like C4D is. Maybe make Adobe software able to read blend or obj files directly?

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mask path free transform in perspective & skew

When selecting mask shape or points, please allow distorting the selection in skew and perspective - like in Photoshop. Would help a lot when rotoscoping masks.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Spell check..?

It'd be really nice to have a spell check built into text layers in AE. UI could be as simple as having a warning symbol pop up next to the text layer in the timeline, so you know which layer contains an error. Just had to correct a small typo that managed to get past myself, QA, producers, AND the client until just now. Spell check would be really useful in preventing human error (and embarrassment...)

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Lock layers together in the timeline.

It'd be great if there was a way to lock layers together in the timeline. There is often, if one layer needs to be moved in time a bunch of others need to be moved. Being able to just click on one of the grouped layers in the time to move would be way faster.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Preview with alpha background

Hello,

In the After Effects composition settings, it is not possible to have an alpha background. Example in attachment.
    I would like to have this feature to launch a preview with alpha.
    An alpha preview, would play the alpha on a video device that works in compositing. Example in attachment.

thanks you for attention.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. In new expression editor, typing closing quotes/parentheses should overwrite existing characters

The new expression editor is great and it's halfway there with automatically adding a closing parentheses or quotes, but most code editors will then, if the user manually types a closing parentheses or quote, will more or less ignore it by overwriting the closing parenthese that was automatically added with the one that the user typed. In AE now if you type an opening then closing bracket you end up with ()) and if you type two quotes you end up with four quotes """"

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Open Type

I'm sure this has been proposed many times before- but I'd really appreciate having glyphs and character alternatives like in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. bring back ping pong playback

Please bring it back, it used to be there and was super handy for making seamless loops in footage.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Keyframe-able Layer Controls

I know it probably presents a whole host of problems, but it'd be nice if we could keyframe layer controls. It would also be nice if effects that reference layers could be keyframed so that you can link them to a layer control.

If you're using multiple layers with the same Set Matte setup, for example, it'd be great if we could change them all with one layer expression control. But since they can't be keyframed they can't have expressions either. This makes the Layer Control much less useful than it could otherwise be.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow manual substitution of missing fonts at startup

A common problem I have is when a font is missing, and currently, on startup there is only the option to find it on Adobe or accept the default font. It would be so helpful if you could select a font in the list and manually choose one from your system fonts to use instead. Otherwise you are stuck with the default font through a potentially large project.

Another common example which happened this morning is that I have Futura Bold installed, but the project I've been sent says Futura Bold is missing (as the spelling is different) - if…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please add/restore backwards and ping-pong to preview playback options

Please add/restore the options to play backwards or ping-pong to preview playback.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Replace shape layers

It would be great if shape layers could be replaced using the option+drag (alt+drag on Windows) feature like other types of layers.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow "separate dimensions" on any anchor point or position property

This would be most useful for anchor points, positions of shape layer groups-- frankly any multi-dimensional property, including scale and camera points of interest, etc.

I think the key issue for most is getting bezier handles on those properties in the value graph.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bug Report Selecting Multiple Text Layers Shows Wrong Font

For two versions now, whenever I select multiple text layers with the same or different fonts, the font window in the Character panel shows the wrong font, and if you select a new font it usually changes the text to the wrong font.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. After Effects need to be able to run without User Login because of DSGVO laws

Hello,
    we using Thinkbox Deadline to render with After Effects in our own Farm. We also use the render_engine mode to render on all computers like workstations. The problem is, that we need a login to all computers. The problem is that it is not possible to run After Effects without log into windows with GUI. So If you run After Effects for example with Deadline or with windows Task Scheduler after the machine starts up, After Effects crashes directly. See the log attached. So it is not possible to use a Service like Deadline with After Effects and a…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Securing project files

It would be amazing if there was a simple way to "lock" a project file. This could come in very handy at the end of a project when archiving or even to limit certain functions of a file.

For instance, once locked, a file can be opened but it can't be exported/rendered unless unlocked. This could be very helpful in the educational realm and for studios once a project has wrapped.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug: Audio Levels are not affected by master properties

I built a video switcher comp with expressions on each layer's opacity and audio levels turning them up or down if a slider control is set to that layer's index.
    The switcher switches audio and video fine in its own comp.
    When I make the slider a master property and switch it from a parent comp, the video works fine, but the audio is stuck on whatever the switch's default setting was.

You can work around this bug by linking your switcher slider to a slider in the parent comp, but this defeats the purpose of master properties as it…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. OpenColor IO color management

Switch the internal color management for OCIO.
    At the very least let us choose the CM engine.
    The old one is fine, not sure why people ***** about it so much, they should learn to use it first I guess.
    I find it more powerful than the one in Nuke. It worked for me just fine all these years, apart from the instances when all color profiles disappeared after an update ;)
    That said, currently ACES workflow is impossible to achieve.
    The ACES icc profiles provided are wrong, you can't get proper colors from ACES clips.
    Maybe it's a limitation…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?