After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Turn After Effects into a plugin, scripting / extensions compiler

I don’t know what’s the end goal with this software and if it’s about to be doomed or not by competition in the future due to lack of innovation. It’s pretty frustrating that users these days have to rely on so many third party plugins, scripts and extensions to get basic things done. I hate that direction that adobe choose to take, but if you’re already going there and not going to change the software from the ground up, it would be cool if after effects would be able to convert projects and expressions into plugins (where the whole comps…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option to hide Clone Stamp brush stroke paths and anchor points WITHOUT disabling the stroke itself.

Similar to the Show/Hide layer controls option in the View menu, it would be very helpful to be able to hide the Clone Stamp's anchor and brush stroke path while editing. It is sometimes impossible to change a clone's position accurately in real time. One has to constantly select, the deselect a given brush stroke to see if the results look good. This is especially a problem when keyframing a clone's source position and transform position to, for instance, paint out scuff marks over a long time.

Granted, one can open the layer panel side by side with the Comp…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Access Gradient Fill values with expressions and keyframes on shape layers

I would love to be able to access the color control values of Gradient Fill layers with expressions. Right now, you can access the start and end points, but you have to click into "Edit Gradient" which feels very oldschool. And while we're talking gradients, I would love to be able to keyframe the color values of a gradient as well. While I could accomplish this effect with a gradient ramp effect, this means that every shape will need to be on it's own layer, and I'll have to create a bunch of custom expressions to connect the control points…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. BUG: Persian numeral characters are replaced by Arabic characters when using Essential graphics or expressions.

When using Persian/Farsi numerals in Essential graphics or expressions, the Persian numerals are replaced by Arabic numerals (4, 5 and 6 are most identifiable). Persian numerals directly in a text object work OK.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Additional text indication feature

It would be nice for the text boxes to indicate more text if it is not visible. Similar to Illustrator or Keynote when the text box is not displaying all the text there's a small box with a plus sign indicating more text or other options.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Symlinked folders for Plugins and Presets no longer work

For years I've been using symlinked folders to keep scripts, plugins, and presets "synced" across computers, just like Zack Lovatt wrote about here: http://zacklovatt.com/syncing-ae-addons-via-dropbox/

However this seems broken in AE v17.0.1 / "2020", on Windows. My Scripts symlink continues to work, but plugins and presets ones don't.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. variable font typography support in AE!

Variable font typography support in AE!

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. After Effects 2020 overwrites C4D R21 install

After Installing After Effects 2020, My Cinema 4D install was overwritten to an older version. I was on R21.026 but after the install, I'm now on R21.022. The C4D online updater also will not recognize that there is an update available. The only current solution is to manually download and install the latest version from Maxon.net.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. BUG: Project Settings Window will not open

Project Settings Window will not open at all.

Project Settings > Color > Working Space
    If I choose any of these 3 options, it prevents me from re-opening Project Settings window at all to change further:
    --Rec.709 VLog
    --Sony S.Gamut3.Cine/S-Log3
    --Sony S.Gamut3/S-Log3

I have restarted AE, restarted Windows, updated to the latest build AE v17.0.2. I have trashed all prefs.
    The only thing that seems to snap AE out of this is to open a previous project that is set to any other color profile. Then the Projet Settings window will open just fine. But choosing any of those Working…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bug Report - Layer/Camera/Link Focus Distance To Layer does not work!

3D Camera 'Link Focus Distance to Layer' does not work. When initially linking the focus distance, it is set correctly. But as soon as you orbit the camera around an orbit null, the focus distance no longer stays locked to the focus layer. Also, and bizarrely, if the orbit null is deleted the focus distance resumes the correct lock. After a lot of experimenting and 2 completely useless and infuriating sessions with Adobe support (Adobe - your tech support sucks - I have NEVER had a satisfactory experience with your tech support), I discovered that the problem appears to be…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Glyphs

Please add glyphs to After Effects

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. AE CC 2019 keeps crashing

I didn't experience any immediate problems after updating to the new version, and I was actually excited about it. However, today the problems started. I was masking a layer, when all of a sudden AE crashed and I got this error on my screen "<140735526355840> <BEE_MiscTasks> <5> Set Artisan Task: Classic 3D". Tried googling but couldn't really find a solution for this specific problem. Running AE on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Mid-2015) with OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Now, when I try to open the project the app keeps freezing.

32 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Guide layer within Shape layers

There are times when I want to have guide layers within shape layers.

While you are upgrading shape layers (I'm just assuming you are, because it really is one of the most important systems in AE, and it hasn't received any love for a long time)
    How about a way to turn a group or element inside of shapes as a guide layer. so when you render it is not visible. It would be great to create on screen controls for rigs.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Mobile App that notifies you once rendering/export in done on AE/media encoder

I’ve been using Adobe suite for about 10yrs now. One of the major issues has been with scheduling other things to line with an export or a render. Even though the software tries to approximate render time, it’s not always correct. There’s also a thing where creators just want to sit and watch their render/export finish.
    So imagine an app that sends a notification to your phone once your work is finished. Maybe with cloud services you can even watch a quick preview. That way you can leave your rendering and go do something else.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Stroke cap adjustments.

I would love more options for the caps of strokes. People have asked for arrows, and tapers, which are all great. I would love for the angle to be modified. As it is now the cap of a stroke is perpendicular to the path (except in the case of round caps).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Addition of Extrusion Depth and Bevel Depth to footage layers

It's well known from https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/extruding-text-shapes.html that footage layers, solids, and compositions cannot be beveled or extruded. Personally, I don't understand how this isn't currently possible. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something, but I'm not sure. Regardless, it would be nice to have this feature added for footage layers, as FXhome's Ignite Pro effects are already capable of doing this.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Text style expressions don't exist in older projects

The new text style expressions don't exist if a project is from older version (before cc2020).

Workaround is importing the project into a new cc2020 project.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. A whole content aware fill window

So, while I love the new Content aware fill feature in after effects, it isn't perfect. I feel like some of the reasoning for that is just the fact that it's mostly automated. So in order to fix this what if there was a window (or a panel) that could walk you through step-by-step telling after effects what exactly is going on in your seen, like direction you camera is moving, hand held or tripod camera, ect. in some ways it would be similar to the 3d camera tracker, but more instructional.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Color picker or eyedropper picks incorrect color from CC Library AE2019

BUG report:
    Color picker or eyedropper picks incorrect color from color swatch in CC Library AE2019.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. add Paragraph Attributes to be expression-able.

The addition of styles into Source Text expressions is helpful. I'd like it to go a little further and be able to control paragraph attributes like "Space After"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base