After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug Report: Drop Down Language-Problem

Hi,
    I'm using the Drop Down Menu Control as an effect for a control layer with a german Version of After Effects on Windows and Mac. When switching the project between Mac and Windows I get an expression Error. It seems that there is a problem with the "ü" in the Property "Menü". I tested it now on 2 seperate Windows-Systems and 2 Mac-Systems which have all installed the german version of 17.5.1 and it's alway the same behaviour.

When I save the project from Windows it converts "Menü" to "Men," and if I save it on a Mac and…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with: Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Guide layers allow to use "Preserve Transparency"

Make Guide layers allow to use "Preserve Transparency"

When using "Keep Transparency", the effect becomes invalid if there is a video or image on the bottom layer. If you use a guide layer, please enable "Keep transparent"

「透明性を維持する」を使用する場合に一番下のレイヤーにビデオや画像などがあると効果が無効になる。ガイドレイヤーにした場合は「透明性を維持する」を有効にして欲しい

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. i would love to have the master window in effect controls in after effects

i would love to have the master window in effect controls in after effects so i can select the color space for prores clips

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Fonts disappearing when used

When I use a font in my composition, save the file and close it, when I reopen it the font has reverted back to standard and the font I chose is missing from the character menu, even though it's still listed as active in TypeKit. I can't get them back even if I deactivate and reactivate in TypeKit, and I have to update all the fonts manually every time. Please patch this, it's really poor performance.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Execute functions by their keyboard shortcuts with extendscript

It'd be great to be able to call functions by either their default or user-set keyboard shortcuts. This would immediately open up many doors in scripting. For example: 'replace selectd layer with selected footage' is inaccessible by scripting and has the default shortcut opt+cmd+/ on mac. It could go something like app.executeShortcut([option,meta,/], [boolean: default/user-set]) and then AE simply initiates the corresponding function if there is one, as if the user hit the shortcut.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Variable typeface support

I've made several typefaces for my work and always have to go back and make a NON variable version to cater to after effects it would be great to have support for them as it would make editing with different sizes so much easier. There's already great support for them in photoshop and illustrator, I don't see why it wouldn't be added to the program by now.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. bug report

AE renders (ProresHQ) wrong time stamp. 8 days in the future. Version 17.1.4 (Build 37)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. make older version available to download

Please make older versions available to download that will work with dynamic link. I'm using premiere pro 2018 because it's much more stable than 2019 or 2020. Can't find AE 2018. Was told it's "end of life" and not available anymore. Surely you can make it available somewhere for users who may still need to use that version.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Individual layer (not source) batch proxy rendering

This is a kind of combination of background rendering and auto proxy linking.

Imagine being able to batch render full quality proxies with alpha channels for every single layer in the comp. Not for sources like the current proxy setup - specifically for layers in comps including all effects, masks etc. I foresee using TIFF or PSD sequences. This process could be done automatically in the background when ever AE is running but not active, or when AE is running but the mouse and keyboard aren't active. Or on a schedule (overnight daily for example) or triggered manually.

Doing it…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add the ability to merge separate mask paths into one

It would be wonderful to be able to take two incomplete/open paths/masks and join them into one--not in the "merge paths" way, but actually joining two paths. (This would be particularly helpful during roto when one thinks one is continuing a previous path but one has accidentally started a new path.)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. BUG: aerender deleting/overwriting random old rendered files

When you have an item in the render queue with "Output To" set to a template that includes [projectFolder], the file will often not render to the correct location.

This has resulted in aerender overwriting previously rendered files.

EXAMPLE

I have "Projects/one/one.aep". Weeks ago, I rendered this project which outputted the file "Projects/one/comp.mp4".

I have "Projects/two/two.aep". In the render queue I have a composition "comp" with "Output To" set to a template "[projectFolder]/[compName].[fileExtension]".

When I now go into my command line and run "aerender -project Projects/two/two.aep", After Effects deletes my old file "Projects/one/comp.mp4" and overwrites it.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [projectFolder] in output template location not working

When you have an item in the render queue with "Output To" set to a template that includes [projectFolder], the file will often not render to the correct location.

EXAMPLE

I have "Projects/one/one.aep". Weeks ago, I rendered this project which outputted video files into the "Projects/one/" folder.

I have "Projects/two/two.aep". In the render queue I have a composition "comp" with "Output To" set to a template "[projectFolder]/[compName].[fileExtension]".

When I now render two.aep, I get the file "Projects/one/comp.mp4", not the expected "Projects/two/comp"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bug: Audio Levels are not affected by master properties

I built a video switcher comp with expressions on each layer's opacity and audio levels turning them up or down if a slider control is set to that layer's index.
    The switcher switches audio and video fine in its own comp.
    When I make the slider a master property and switch it from a parent comp, the video works fine, but the audio is stuck on whatever the switch's default setting was.

You can work around this bug by linking your switcher slider to a slider in the parent comp, but this defeats the purpose of master properties as it…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Puppet Tool needs a feature that gives you the option to create a custom mesh.

For example, I'm currently animating a image where the eye is blinking. The deform feature for the Puppet tool is perfect for this, but I find that the auto mesh that it creates generates triangles that result in artifacts and are not ideal; the fix for this is just add more points. However I think it would be great to have a feature to draw your own edge loops. Say you can draw a few masks on the image for the the grid/loops, then have the tool generate a mesh based on those guides. Or say just draw one loop…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. After Effects 2020 on Mac does not work at all with Arri Alexa Footage

After Effects 2020 on Mac does not work with Arri Alexa footage that when imported into Premiere has the AMIRA LUT automatically added. You can see my first exampled here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27MpmJfKHqg and my second example from Arri's example footage here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9aRnCeu7PE The footage drops out, goes blue, and goes upside down becoming completely useless.

The only way to get the footage to work is to recompress it all and the reconnect, but we are talking a huge amount of ProRES 4444 footage that I really don't want to recompress, especially when it works fine in After Effects 2019.

I had…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ponts of shape layer’s path move out of viewport

Since the latest 2021 update (17.5 version) I have encountered a problem with points of shape layer’s path. When I try to move them, sometimes they teleport way far from the viewport. So I need to move them always with arrows which is annoying. It doesn’t seem to have problem with masks.

My OS is Windows 10 (version 2004)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. guide layers & audio -

if an audio layer is set as a guide layer, it shouldn't render the sound of that layer - (we use click tracks a lot)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Can't select ColorProfile from importet ProRes Files

In the newest AfterEffects Version (17.1.2) you cannot change the ColorProfile of an imported ProRes4444 File, resulting in a unwanted color shift. ( I am using ProRes4444 Renderings as Prerender-Files and always changed the Profile from Rec709 to sRGB) I am in general working in a linearized sRGB worflow.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Expression replaces special characters with basic alphabet for layer.source.name

Hi, I have a bug to report.

If I import a file with special characters the expression engine interprets the basic characters when using layer.source.name (eg. ö and ç become o and c).

Similarly, if the layer name is edited (eg. to remove the file extension) the string is still sanitised in this way when using layer.name.

My workaround is to copy the layer name to a text editor and paste it back. It appears the same in the UI, with the special characters, but now the expression engine reads it correctly too.

Thanks,
    LY

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base