After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Modern 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for VFX and Motion Graphics

After Effects finally needs a competitive 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for 3D compositing and virtual workflows of the future. The Link to Cinema is too slow, complicated and unstable for simple 3D compositing tasks. So it needs something like "3D Elements" on steroids and native in AE.

Dranging some 3D Assets into AE, add some effects, tweak and light them, is a must have in 2022. Compositing, Motion Graphics and VFX are not only 2D/2,5D! - they happen now also in 3D and Realtime!

What this new real time 3D Engine needs:
    - 3D Geometry Support (import/export)
    - PBR Shaders…

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Preference Option: Default to Disable Audio of Video Clips on Timeline Import

I find that since audio is typically only referenced in AE rather than edited, I am often having to look for and manually disable all video clips that contain audio tracks within the project. This leads to recurring accidents of having surprise elements of audio in my renders and additional needless labor.

The alternative, to me, would be to have an option in preferences that, by default, disables the audio of video layers that contain audio tracks.

Please note that these audio channels would remain present and could manually be turned back on within the timeline.

This is only in…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Wrong render output when rendering multiple composition with different resolution in the same queue

I'd like to report an issue we are facing since After Effects 22.4 and 22.5 (it doesn't affect AE 22.3) on two different workstations running macOS 12.4 Monterey.
    This, by the way, doesn't happen on a windows 10 workstation.

The problem is easily reproducible. In a project, create 3 compositions with different aspect ratio, 1920x1080, 1080x1080, 1080x1920 .
    When you queue the composition in this order 16:9, 1:1, 9:16, the last rendered (9:16) seems to be squashed in a 1:1 ratio, with a green rectangle at the bottom.
    When rendering in 16:9,9:16, 1:1, the last rendered (1:1) outputs to a…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. BUG: AE 22.3 DNx Codecs Broken

DNx codecs are broken when updating to AE 22.3, which affects usability with any high profile Avid projects. Any QTs exported with DNx codecs will no longer import into the Avid, and you also cannot re-import these exports into AE.
    The codecs work if you roll back to AE 22.2.1

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Major ProRes Bug!

Please please please fix the ProRes encoder! AE only renders ProRes at 8-bit, despite all the preferences, project settings and output modules being set up correctly for 16-bit output. In fact, if I set up an extra output module, AE renders beautiful 16-bit PNGs, but awful 8-bit ProRes files. ProRes is an integral part of our studio pipeline (and, I'd wager, crucial to a lot of other professional studios). We're running AE 22.5 on OSX 12.3.1.
    Thanks - Yan.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug: Layers becoming unparented in comp when project is imported into another project multiple times

I am able to reproduce this bug consistently, if I have an AE project, containing a comp with a layer that is parented to a null, then I import that project into another project 4 times, on the fourth instance that was imported, the layer is no longer parented to the null.

I have included a simple project file that I'm importing, as well as a project where I've imported it 4 times, you'll see on the fourth imported project, layer isn't parented.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix After Effects V22.5 Mask pen tool please

Pen tool only put the first point and then nothing, cant mask. please! its a professional soft, test before public a new update....

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Text selector not working

Hi, AE will not let me select all of my text with my cursor no matter how hard I try.

I downloaded the latest beta and this issue still persists. This basically inhibits me from doing any work efficiently being that I work with a lot of text on a daily basis.

Please fix this very BASIC and core issue. The stability and updates for AE and Premiere have been extremely disappointing lately.

It feels like you people just stopped caring about your user base.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Progress  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. New Shape Layer 'Expression Repeater'

How about a new type of Repeater for shape groups that looks pretty much the same as the existing one, except that values in it's Transform properties are not applied cumulatively, but rather have their expressions evaluated individually for every copy of the shape?

So if I add a random expression to the repeater's Position property, I get a bunch of randomly positioned copies. Ideally we'd get expression access to something like repeaterIndex (like textIndex in text layer expression selectors) but even without any new syntax it would be amazing. I can already imagine making a growing vine which automatically…

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. AEfx 2023 v23.1 BETA M1 fails to install because of Cinema4D

I'm unable to install latest After Effects BETA v23.1 2023 BETA on my Macbook M1 MAX, here is the crash log

Exit Code: 183
    -------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------
    - 2 fatal error(s), 2 error(s), 3 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 183) executing in command 'RunProgramCommand' for package: 'AdobeAfterEffectsBetaBetaAllTrialmaxon-osx-arm64', version:23.1.0.17
    FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeAfterEffectsBetaBetaAllTrial
    maxon-osx-arm64 Version: 23.1.0.17). Error code: '183'
    ERROR: Inside LaunchProcess. Process does not exists at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Keyfiles/AfterEffectsBeta/Beta/CustomHooks/dvaPlistGen2016
    ERROR: Inside LaunchProcess. Process does not exists at: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Keyfiles/AfterEffectsBeta/Beta/CustomHooks/Maxon Cinema 4D Full Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/osx-arm64
    WARN: Unable to run program "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Keyfiles/AfterEffectsBeta/Beta/CustomHooks/dvaPlistGen2016"
    WARN: Warning (Code = 183)…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Reduce After Effects Pricing (grievances list) (it's 30 years old, visible depreciation in value and usefulness, AE needs replacing)

it's in the title. it's mind boggling to me that the program still works, let alone can be in some ways considered stable, but let's face it:

multi-threading use is spotty at best
    GPU usage remains under 10-30% on most GPU's
    many plugins aren't even 16 or 32 bit
    Export templates are no longer standard, can't export in several standards
    almost entirely uses RAM for viewport acceleration instead of optimization
    by default now uses 429 plugins instead of optimized, built in features
    mixed support for different GPU architectures (mostly older ones)
    CPU/RAM/GPU usage are all far higher per calculation than…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Collect Project - faster File sequence collection

Currently file sequence data is very slow to collect and can push up wait time considerably, especially in longer form projects, in comparison to .mov files etc.

Please Look to find a faster way to collect file seq files in the collect. process.

The current collect methodology hasn't changed since AE began.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Collects that are content aware - to avoid data duplication - Group Collect

Currently if you collect multiple projects with same assets it duplicates all the same assets in each collects footage folder.

A "Group Collect" could a consolidated Footage folder that avoids collecting multiple files that are the same an that use the same resource.

This would save on data sends to clients

You could begin this with an option in the current collect panel to 'start a group collect' option.
    First project gets collected with a group footage folder created.

Second projects to collect could have a 'add to group collect' option and only the items that are different would be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Collect Project In Background

Like a background render it would be a lot more time efficient for artists to have collects being made in the background so they can carry on with other work.
    This could could work in the current collect window, with collect files in background option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support 5.1 Audio Directly from After Effects

Being able to take an interleaved 5.1 audio WAV file and render it onto a final MOV as true multi-track (as opposed to current flattening to stereo) would be revolutionary for our Graphics department. This would alleviate the need to re-render out of Premiere to incorporate 5.1 audio onto final graphics files.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Font selection bug when font does not support certain language glyphs

There always has been a bug when some text layer contains glyphs that are not supported by the applied font. Example:

1. There is a text layer with some Hindi text and the applied font is Roboto Regular.

2. The Roboto Regular does not support Hindi letters so it's replaced with some default font BUT it does not show the font when the layer is selected.

3. When the text layer is not selected, and I choose some font (for example Noto Sans Devanagari), then I select the text layer, the font menu still shows my selected font instead of the real font…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. After Effects Needs a Node Editor (and other small changes that would make it the best software ever)

After Effects could dominate the market if the developers simply did this:

Rewrite the software so that you have the option to work with nodes in a dedicated window AND still use layers as default (Blender does this, so I know it's possible).
    The key to making After Effects the industry dominating software it ought to be, is by keeping the easy to use and super clean UI that it already has, while optimizing its functionality.
    For instance, if After Effects had it's standard "layer" timeline, but also gave users the ability to work 'under the hood' for more complex…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Copying expressions for multiple properties stopped working

Copying expressions for multiple properties onto layers not working anymore.

We used to be able to select multiple properties under one layer and copy expressions for those. Then select any layers that we wish to copy expressions only.

Now we have to do it one by one. If possible to fix this it would be helpful.

thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. After Effects needs to support pass-through rendering of 5.1 track audio

It's 2022: After Effects needs to support pass-through rendering of 5.1 audio interleaved WAV files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Using MFR tech, render proxy of item in the background on command

I often use the post-action of set proxy to make full res pre-renders of comps, and then have them assigned as proxies to said comp.

Because post action scripts cannot be run in bgrender, it forces this wait in the normal render queue. It also doesnt work in cmdline render.

Now that we have MFR, it would be super swell to use those available threads to focus on pre-rendering and setting a proxy on a comp of my choice on demand so I can set it, forget it, and move along with my work rather than being locked up waiting.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32

Feedback and Knowledge Base