After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set Channel’s alpha with masks does not work if set to same layer

The Set Channel effect does not seem to respect masks for the alpha source anymore, if the layer refers to itself.

When „Source Layer 4“ points to the same layer it is applied to, with the dropdown set to „Masks“, the effect would apply the layer’s alpha, but only within the layer’s masks. Now, it does not respect the masks at all and won’t apply the alpha.

Simple Setup: red shape layer with a mask, „Solid Composite“ with green color applied, then „Set Channels“ with „Source Layer 4“ set to the same shape layer, using „Masks“. See attached images for…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hold key frames should disable motion blur for the property

I really would love to see the option to have hold key frames disable the rendering of motion blur. One example is that I have footage the has a time remap that ramps speed quickly from slow motion to sped up motion. I have masks that need to roto out a couple objects, but the motion blur jumps during the speed changes.this makes me split masks for the speed changes and adds a level of complexity to my comp.

Another example deals with a workflow that I use regularly that brings several similar shots into one comp so they can…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keymix Plugin à la Nuke

Essential keying workflow tool. Would be awesome to have that without jumping through sub-comp hoops:

https://learn.foundry.com/nuke/content/referenceguide/mergenodes/keymix.html

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dont allow updates to wipe out plugins

This latests update wipes out all the plugins that I had in After Effects, and Now it wont read the video copilot vc color vibrance plugin even after it has been deleted and reinstalled.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add points to Curves effect by cmd+clicking pixels

In Photoshop you can exactly target a specific value in the curve dialog by cmd+clicking a pixel in the image. This would be great to have in AfterEffects too!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make the mesh warp effect easier to use, and allow tracking to background footage with it.

I've been using the Mesh Warp recently, and I've found it incredibly annoying to use. It seems really hard to be able to grab the mesh points correctly without clicking off the effect, or clicking off the selected layer. The bezier grab handles are fiddly to use too, they could do with improvement to make it an easier effect to use.

Would there be any chance that we could see a larger improvement to the effect where by you could use it to warp textures to a background/source layer? it'd be handy for the mesh points to be driven/tracked to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Can't import animated gifs into AE

When I tried to import an animated gif, as I did with the actual file earlier on other computer, I get the message from the picture, in spanish "Error de After Effects: No se puede leer el origen. Compruebe la configuración y vuelva a intentarlo. ( 86 :: 1 )"; which translates to: "After Effects error: Cannot read from source. Please check the settings again. ( 86 :: 1 )"

I hope someone could help me because I don't think is much of a big deal. Thanks in advance.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. text as an effect

an effect to create text via effect would be useful to keep your composition compact. imaging you have to create a button, you right now need at least 2 layers. 1 textlayer and 1 shapelayer.

with an text effect (like the timecode effect)
    you would only need 1 layer.

But the effect should respect the layers coordinates,
    not like the timecode effect, which ignores them.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow multiple inverted masks on a project to allow for 2 points of cut out on a moving object

Allow us to have more than 1 inverted mask on a project to allow for multiple points to be blanked out for a moving object.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ... to bring in the feature of searching and relinking footage pathes

... to bring in the feature of searching and relinking footage pathes (e.g. I just needed to change the driveletter - but it´s not possible. Confimed by Customers Support. Belongs to Premiere as well. This is maybe a very old wish around here, wich still hasnt been taken to heart

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 75% Size within Composition view

I'd like to see 75% View Window Size within Composition view.

On 24" monitors (I've four together), 50% is too small, Fit up to 100% (which is 83.2% for me) is too big.

I'd love you to add 75% to the pop-up

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. clone stamp

It would be helpful for frame-by-frame painting in AE if there was the ability to rotate your clone source in the clone stamp too. Also have a crosshair appear showing your clone source. These are example clone tool features available in Photoshop.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bug Report: AE 2019 Write-On Effect not working.

I am unable to get the write-on effect to work with any stability. I noticed this in a 2018 file I was editing. It seems I can set up the keyframes, but then after scrubbing the timeline or working on other write-on reveals, it fails. See attached file.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

Update 14 Nov 2018 – I received the files, thank you.

After playing with the project for a little bit, I see how the Write-on effect is not behaving correctly. But I’m not able to deduce what the cause of the problem is. I’m not able to reproduce the problem from scratch, and if I make modifications to your project, it starts to render correctly.

My best guess is that the keyframe data of the Write-on effect in your project became corrupted somehow. It’s relatively easy to fix, although a bit tedious:

1. On each keyframe, modify the property value. (I made small adjustments, like rounding fractional X or Y values up to the nearest integer, or increasing the brush size by 1. Any change to the keyframe’s value should work here.)
    2. Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache.

If…

14. gradient stroke in layers styles

Please add to AE this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow any effect attribute to be driven by a matte layer

have a small button next to every value for every effect attribute to allow you to map it to a layer matte.

This allows you to control effects exactly without cluttering up your layers window

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PLANAR TRACKING/STABILIZING AS MOCHA

You could improve the After Effects tracking/stabilizing tools using the planar tracking method (as Mocha) instead of traditional point tracking method.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PLANAR TRACKING AS MOCHA

You could improve the After Effects tracking/stabilizing tools using the planar tracking method (as Mocha) instead of traditional point tracking method.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stereo 360 VR output

Regarding the 360 environnent in after effects, it would be really useful to get a stereoscopic output of the 3D edit.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. masks, mask path, shape: preview missing

when i modify the pixel dimensions of the mask there is no preview to know the adjustment is right until after we hit ok in the dialogue box

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. CC Vignette bug

I''ll often add the CC Vignette effect to an imported .AI layer to help it blend into the scene. It's very helpful in not adding additional clutter to compositions, but it increasingly makes scenes go crazy. Different zoom levels will exacerbate the bug, and saving and reopening with the effect applied seems to make it worse.

Some of the symptoms include weird screen tearing, little dots all over the comp, and the layer will "flicker" on and off as well as affecting the alpha channels on other layers.

I've attached a quick sample. This mostly shows everything but the tearing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base