After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make All Effects 32bit Compatible

I use After Effects for compositing my 3D renders, and I always export 16 or 32 bit EXRs, starting to use ACES. Unfortunately, many, many effects are still only 8 bit, some support 16, and some can do 32. If you don't want to lose me and many other compositors (at least those that are left), please update more effects to 32bit!

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Liquify effect: can't set source location by Option-clicking

Just noticed that I am not able to set a source location while using the clone tool (inside of the liquify effect). When pushing the option key (Mac OS), the 3D camera tool shows up.

After Effects version: 22.2.1 (german layout)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Update the Add Grain effect to use GPU and 32-bit

I need to apply grain frequently in my work to clean plates I’ve created, and it needs to match the 6k/4k HDR plates I’ve been provided. I prefer Add Grain to Match Grain, as it’s quicker and more accurate for me to manually set it. Because of the size of the plates, and the lack of GPU acceleration in this plug-in, it’s the main bottleneck in my rendering speed, plus 32-bit would help with color fidelity. Obviously, multiframe rendering would be great, too, but I would at least love GPU acceleration to start!

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support AU Audio plugins in AE

Allowing AU audio plugins inside After Effects in the same way as Premiere would be fantastic!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. gradient ramp transfer modes

I often wish that the Gradient Ramp effect would include a transfer mode option so that I could directly overlay the effect onto the same layer.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 3D Camera Tracker - Missing Functionality

The 3D camera Tracker is missing some vital tools to make it usable in a professional environment.

1. USER TRACKS: AE already has point tracking. Let the 3D camera tracker use those points as user defined tracks that have more weight than the auto generated tracks and help guide the auto tracks to be more accurate. If you have enough User Tracks, we should have the option to turn off the auto-tracking generation.

2. MASKS: there needs to be a way to mask areas off with out precomping so the tracker will ignore anything inside the masks. This can be either using…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Create alpha channel (mask) from shapes

It would be cool if masks could be created from a shape layer.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this request.

Could you elaborate on how you would like to create a mask or alpha channel from shape layers?

Using a shape as a mask or an alpha channel is already possible in AE. There are several possible methods, and I'll outline some of them below, but please let us know what you'd like to see that is different.

Method 1: Copy a Beizer shape path to a mask path

1. This only works with Bezier shape paths. If you create a parametric shape path (rectangle, ellipse, star, etc.), right click on the path (e.g. Rectangle Path 1) and choose Convert to Bezier Path.
    2. Twirl open the shape's Path group (e.g. Path 1) and select the Path property.
    3. Edit > Copy or Cmd/CTRL + C
    4. Select the layer you want to add a new mask to, and draw a new mask on it. It doesn't matter…
  8. Smoother tool needs actually smooth

The Smoother tool needs to have the functionality to smooth the peaks and valleys in a jittery motion path towards the average of the selected keyframes. this is to reduce peaks a valleys visible in the graph editor while KEEPING the original keyframes. the more times you press the smooth button, the smoother the line will get.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. After Effects 22, Shortcuts Markers in composition don't work anymore

Hello world,
    The shortcuts still exist in the window put it doesn't work to create or use shortcuts markers in compositions for 1, 2 et 3.
    I disabled the option in 3D preferences but nothing change.
    I update last version (22.3)
    Thanks for helping

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Effect compositing options: Have a 'layer' option as well as 'mask'

It's be wonderful if, as well as choosing a mask for an effect, we can choose a layer to be used as a mask for an effect; that way, we could use another layer's alpha or luma to control the opacity of the effect, much in the same we we already do with Mask References in the Compositing Options.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Using Gyro-Data as tracking data (e.g. from Sony A7S III)

Newer Cameras like the A7S III record not only the Video footage but also gyroscopic data for stabalizing in their own Catalist Browse Software. Now when the camera has data to how it moves within a room, one could think about using this data to create an accurate virtual camera within after effects.
    So instead of software tracking in After effects it uses the actual Gyro-Data. This could be more accurate and way quicker than tracking.

An iPhone app that does similar things is called CamTrackAR. I would love to see this elevated to professional cameras ;-)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. "Track Matte" feature for the "Set Matte" Effect.

CC composite is great for compositing its own layer over itself again, the track mattes is good for tracking an alpha/luma of a layer above itself.
    However, many times I'd like to composite, say an icon, over a circle shape - then animate each one independently (perhaps the circle scales up and the icon slides down to the centre of the circle), then, have the icon track the circles alpha channel so you only ever see the icon inside the circle.
    Set matte doesnt often work as you are manipulating transform properties, and set matte seems to only work when…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Update Card Wipe and Card Dance to 16-bit

Card Wipe and Card Dance remain powerful native effects for us. Please please update them to work in 16-bit color spaces!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Adding a stop in Gradient should keep the color

When a stop is added in a Gradient, it should reflect the color at that position in stead of copying one of the other stops. The current behaviour throws away useful information - a new stop can be used to change the color at a certain point in the Gradient, but with the current behaviour, this is hard to handle.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. text background

Text backgrounds like in Premiere Pro.
    To be able to choose a background for our text, with different colors and transparencies so that it increases as we add characters to the text. This is mandatory as for now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Roto Brush - Freeze all in timeline

After using the Roto Brush over a long sequence, I need to go through and freeze each individual Roto Brush.

A freeze all function would be awesome, and better still, if it could happen in the background.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Open Exr Sequence turns black when Lumetri Color is set into action

Adjustment Layer with Lumetri Color above 32 Bit open EXR Sequence. As soon as any Lumetri parameter is changed, the image information turns black while retaining the alpha channel.

Best part: not always. Seems random. Can´t find any trigger. Closing After Effects in that case mostly results in a crash.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Jackson,

Thank you for making this report. You are correct, it does appear that the Align panel has been removed from the Default workspace. We've opened a ticket internally to have it re-added.

In the meantime, you can still open the Align panel from the Window menu and add it to your workspace manually.

Thanks again for the report,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

19. scatter

Regarding the CC Scatterize effect or the regular Scatter, it'd be great if you could change the size of the pieces. It be a lot faster and less render intensive than using shatter all the time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a Rotation setting to the Bulge Effect

I think it would be a simple but great add to this effect to put a new rotation setting.

The bulge preview circle cannot be rotated at all, and sometimes we need to, unless someone have a solution ?

Thank you,

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base