After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Don't require track mattes to be above the layer it modifies (and also allow re-use)

Requiring a track matte to be right above the layer it modifies seems like an archaic convention at best. Get rid of that requirement and make them like parent layers which can be anywhere and used by many layers.

262 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

22 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug - Roughen Edges doesn't work the same in 2020 as it does in previous versions

In AE CC 2020, the Roughen Edges effect still shows the original edges of shapes and vectors. It also produces oddly colored edges.

This wasn't the case before this version. It used to produce nice rough edges.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make an archive of the AE SDK forum available.

The old AE SDK forum contained hundreds of threads with valuable information that is not available in the AE SDK guide. Very many of those threads are no longer available at all, and the new interface is no longer navigable because it is not possible to limit searches to posts tagged with 'SDK' or in any other meaningful way. Moreover, questions about the SDK are simply not being answered any more, and there is no other support resource. I don't think I would have been able to get anywhere near where I am now without the help of the forum,…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Proxy Effects or adding "render only" option to heavy intense effects

Some effects like camera lens blur are computationally expensive. It would be great to be able to have a proxy effects such as Gaussian blur during previews, but at render time turn off Gaussian blur and turn on camera lens blur. Or perhaps have a setting that only turns it on at render time. I imagine it could be a drop down that says "off until render." I know I can turn off all effects on a layer or composition, but then I have to remember to turn them on before rendering.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Parenting Masks to Null objects to inherit position data.

The reshape tool would become way more helpful with digital beauty work if AE had a way to parent Masks to a Null object that received tracking data from Mocha.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. After Effects 2020 Much Much SLOWER

Was working with 2020 for 5 min.
    Out of the box in comparison seam to be slower on a comp of a resolution of 5400x1080, as compares to AE 2019.

Certainly twice(!!!!) slower from AE 2019 in reading JPG SEQ res:5400x1080.

Did not checked it further.

Both Apps synced with their preferences.
    Both of them have the Cache option disabled.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. masks don't live update while effects are applied

When you're animating a mask on a layer that has effects applied, the mask doesn't update live. You have to purge the memory or disable all the effects on the mask in order to be able to see the updated layer.
    We need to see the mask updated even with effects applied.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Its 2019 about time we had a native edge blur tool.

Need a native edge blur tool similar or better to the key correct suite by RG.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I want to be able to divide the position of the transform of the effect into dimensions

I want to be able to divide the position of the transform of the effect into dimensions.

Because the expression of animation of keyword spreads

エフェクトのトランスフォームの位置を次元分割できるようにしてほしい。速度グラフでの表現の幅が広がる為。

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. text as an effect

an effect to create text via effect would be useful to keep your composition compact. imaging you have to create a button, you right now need at least 2 layers. 1 textlayer and 1 shapelayer.

with an text effect (like the timecode effect)
    you would only need 1 layer.

But the effect should respect the layers coordinates,
    not like the timecode effect, which ignores them.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Rebuild blending modes to behave in 32 bit the same as they would in 16 bit

Blending modes (especially screen & add) are completely unpredictable in 32 bit space. They're essentially useless now. Build a system (or a new blending mode) that allows screen and add to behave the like they do in 16 bit

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Vector Fields for new creative Effects

A Vector Field Effect were you can paint your motion fields in 2D and use them on textures and particles etc.

Something like this in 2D:

https://hocuspocus-studio.fr/tools/product/vecmap-tools/
    https://vimeo.com/254351991

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. a modern 3D particle system like Trapcode Particular but with a simple node based interface

The actual particle system in AE is out of the early 2000s.
    So please develop a new 3D particle system with a simple node based UI and interesting operators like physics, turbulence, motion fields etc.

It should be something like Trapcode Particular but with a simple node interface like Tyflow.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. set matte should have the option to fit composition or layer

actually it fits the layer size and stretch the Matte layer.
    So if we use a layer with a different ratio in the composition it not useful.

With this option, it would have the ability to ignore transformation like rotation size and position... so the Set Matte would work as a Track Matte Layer and we could animate behind it.

It would safe a lot of layer count and space.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Native ST-Map Support

After Effects needs native ST-Map support to handle a myriad of compositing functions, but I need it to handle the Distortion & Undistortion ST-Maps from 3D Tracking & match-moving software like PF Track. This is a standardized work flow in Nuke and is seriously lacking in AE. I know that there are 3rd party plug ins for this, but this is a compositing program and should be built in.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add points to Curves effect by cmd+clicking pixels

In Photoshop you can exactly target a specific value in the curve dialog by cmd+clicking a pixel in the image. This would be great to have in AfterEffects too!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make the mesh warp effect easier to use, and allow tracking to background footage with it.

I've been using the Mesh Warp recently, and I've found it incredibly annoying to use. It seems really hard to be able to grab the mesh points correctly without clicking off the effect, or clicking off the selected layer. The bezier grab handles are fiddly to use too, they could do with improvement to make it an easier effect to use.

Would there be any chance that we could see a larger improvement to the effect where by you could use it to warp textures to a background/source layer? it'd be handy for the mesh points to be driven/tracked to…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Adopting the powers of node-based programs by tweaking the set matte effect.

Inspired by Node-based workflows. We often want to combine different mattes into one layer without the need of pre-comping—and then even use the same matte for multiple layers.

If we improve the already existing "Set Matte" Effect with the functions of the "Track Matte", we may be on a better path!

Here is a video of how that could work: https://vimeo.com/138156034

1. Add a "Track Matte" switch to set matte:

This could make the "Transform Properties" of the set matte behave the same as how "Track Mattes" do. (this is possible already by sandwiching the set matte effect between two…

194 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Can't import animated gifs into AE

When I tried to import an animated gif, as I did with the actual file earlier on other computer, I get the message from the picture, in spanish "Error de After Effects: No se puede leer el origen. Compruebe la configuración y vuelva a intentarlo. ( 86 :: 1 )"; which translates to: "After Effects error: Cannot read from source. Please check the settings again. ( 86 :: 1 )"

I hope someone could help me because I don't think is much of a big deal. Thanks in advance.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base