After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Track Matte" feature for the "Set Matte" Effect.

CC composite is great for compositing its own layer over itself again, the track mattes is good for tracking an alpha/luma of a layer above itself.
    However, many times I'd like to composite, say an icon, over a circle shape - then animate each one independently (perhaps the circle scales up and the icon slides down to the centre of the circle), then, have the icon track the circles alpha channel so you only ever see the icon inside the circle.
    Set matte doesnt often work as you are manipulating transform properties, and set matte seems to only work when…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Using Gyro-Data as tracking data (e.g. from Sony A7S III)

Newer Cameras like the A7S III record not only the Video footage but also gyroscopic data for stabalizing in their own Catalist Browse Software. Now when the camera has data to how it moves within a room, one could think about using this data to create an accurate virtual camera within after effects.
    So instead of software tracking in After effects it uses the actual Gyro-Data. This could be more accurate and way quicker than tracking.

An iPhone app that does similar things is called CamTrackAR. I would love to see this elevated to professional cameras ;-)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. More love for 360/VR in After Effects

since 2018, Ae has not been updated in relation to VR/360 workflows. Ae has limited VR effects and the VR Comp Editor workflow which is also very limited and delicate script and expression heavy process.

Ae should have a spherical camera, mono and stereo. this would obsolete the stiching workflow of VR Comp Editor and it's limitations. 3d plugins like trapcode or stardust are very breakable, also all the 2d effects won't work properly without the use of 3rd party tools and even then it's very limited.

these new technologies should not be left behind, there are great things motion…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update for preview bug when at aspect ratio 6x pixels in height

I am not the only one who is experiencing this. In version 18.4.1 of AE when you make a comp height size 64 pixels the comp goes black. No matter what you try it goes black. I installed an older version 17.5.0 and it works fine as it should. This has wasted so much of my time on a paid job for which I had to create a comp at 960x64 and it would not let me. What is worse is your so-called Technical experts told me that some ratios were not possible which was a lie as he didn;t…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Rotobrush 2.0

The new Rotobrush 2.0 does improve the spline you draw or brush to outline what you need to separate from the background. However, in the latest updates, the propagation and freeze steps hang up on long frame scenes. After much searching on the forums other users have found we need to uninstall the updates for After Effects and go back to 18.1. I just did that and now Rotobrush 2.0 is performing naturally!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Upgrade Roughen Edges effect.

More in-depth, customizable roughen edges effect. Ability to apply effect to shape layers to get edges like Photoshop brushes. Maybe even use the stamp of a Photoshop brush to determine the texture and variation of the edge. Edge example from Photoshop attached.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Layer effect source

When setting effect layer source, I would like to see this option:

Source
    Masks
    Effects & Masks
    Effects & Masks & Transform

I need this almost every time. Would save a ton of unnecessary precompositing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Color correcting with region of interest

Hi
    When color correcting skin tones, the region of interest would very useful to isolate image area. Only I just found out, Lumetri scopes show the whole image instead of the cropped area.
    A fix would be nice, please.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. bug report - layer panel

AE 2021 - The Layer Panel no longer displayers Motion Path handles for Effects or Motion Tracking. This is a major hindrance when animating and tweaking Effects paths or analysing Motion Tracking problems. See attached comparison from AE 2020 and AE 2021. I have also tested this in AE Beta and the problem persists.
    I am trying to attach jpg examples unsuccessfully.
    Here is a more detailed description:
    AE 2020 >Layers panel displays >Effects motion paths with editable bezier handles; and for >Tracking Motion paths
    AE 2021 Using the same settings, the >Layers panel does not display any handles for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [Request] Fully Integrated ‘Blend If’ Functionality Would be an Absolute Game Changer.

After more than a decade using AE, the sole feature that I wish was properly intergrated into the program would be ‘Blend-If’ functionality.

Blend-If is a layer style and allows the user to fade and control a layer’s alpha channel based on It’s own luminosity and/or the luminosity of layers below it.

The feature is incredibly powerful for composition and editing within photoshop and in my opinion would be a massively valuable tool for AE in the same way.

Since it is a photoshop Layer Style property it is already somewhat useable within AE, but only if you only import…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Update the Add Grain effect to use GPU and 32-bit

I need to apply grain frequently in my work to clean plates I’ve created, and it needs to match the 6k/4k HDR plates I’ve been provided. I prefer Add Grain to Match Grain, as it’s quicker and more accurate for me to manually set it. Because of the size of the plates, and the lack of GPU acceleration in this plug-in, it’s the main bottleneck in my rendering speed, plus 32-bit would help with color fidelity. Obviously, multiframe rendering would be great, too, but I would at least love GPU acceleration to start!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bug with Trapcode Particular

This one is not easy to describe.
    Let's say you have one layer with Particular effect (layer A). As the particles source, you have selected "Sprite", and the Sprite is a precomp, or any other source that CAN be rasterised (like an Ai file, for instance). But you chose NOT to rasterise it.
    Everything works well at that stage. But later in the workflow, you create a second layer (B) with Particular, and decide to use the SAME layer (or precomp) as the source of your particles for layer A.
    What happens then is the problem: After Effects chooses to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow Set Matte effect to see/respect transforms

If I want to use a layer as a matte using Set Matte, AE won't recognize any transforms (position, scale, etc) that I've done to it within the comp. It will only see them if I precomp the layer, adding more complexity to the file, and causing other issues.

Instead of just the option to use Source, Masks, Effects & Masks, can you add transforms? Maybe instead of the pop-up selector, you could have checkboxes, so the user could choose what combination of modifiers they want to use.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. setMatteAtTime / upgrade for the Set Matte Effect

As powerful at it may be "Set Matte" has some limitations and it is not very easy to use. More often than not you still need one layer as mask for another layer. Even simple setups become layer-salads.

My ideas to upgrade this effect:

• timepoint of layer matte should be accessable via Expressions/Keyframes. This way we can use one single precpomped Animation to mask as many layers as we want
    • also 3D layers should be able to be masked by a 2D animation using "Stretch Matte to Fit"
    • To use this effect I always have to precomp my footage and…
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Adobe After Effects is crashing in mac pro with big sur everytime i try to open new composition

after effects is crashing evrytime i try to open a new composition. ive tried un installing and re installing twice now . the problem persists. i am on big sur with a mac pro computer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow rotobrush to use more than one core by allowing user to rotobrush multiple frames

Rotobrush should have the option of allowing me to rotobrush frames every certain number of seconds. For example if I have a 15 minute clip, I could rotobrush one frame for each minute of the clip. Therefore each of those minutes could be handled by a separate core on my computer. As I have 16 cores, each core would only have to process one minute of video rather than one core doing all the video sequentially.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Clone Layer Effect

I would love to have a Clone Layer Effect as an alternative to precomping a layer and duplicating. This would be applied to a solid and it would copy create an instance/clone of the layer it is pointed at with the choice of using some or all of the effects of the master layer as well as options for using the transform/feather/alpha as well. Other effects could be stacked on top of this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make All Effects 32bit Compatible

I use After Effects for compositing my 3D renders, and I always export 16 or 32 bit EXRs, starting to use ACES. Unfortunately, many, many effects are still only 8 bit, some support 16, and some can do 32. If you don't want to lose me and many other compositors (at least those that are left), please update more effects to 32bit!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. BUG: AE 18.4 - DNX codec footage not appearing properly

BUG: AE 18.4 - opened an older project (18.2) containing DNX codec footage. Composition failed to preview or render. Displayed black only and couldn't display alpha / transparency toggle in comp window. Seemed related to layer render order and transparency.
    Rolling back to 18.2 fixed it. Running on Mac with AMD Radeon Pro 580 - Big Sur 11.4

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ignore adjustment layers switch

A simple switch on a given layer to ignore the adjustment layer above it. Would open up so many possibilities and avoid unnecessary precomposition. Please vote and make this a reality.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base