After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Integrate Mixamo into After Effects!

I think you should integrate mixamo into After Effects to make animation of 3d characters a lot easier. This way we can use 3d animated character easily in After Effects and also allow it so people can use any character they can bring into After effects to be animated. Along with an easy way to make the characters interact with objects in a scene.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. use getStyleAt() also to redefine properties

thisComp.layer("Text layer").text.sourceText.getStyleAt(0).fontSize
    gives me the size of the first character

why :
    getStyleAt(0).setFontSize(72)
    it applies to all characters and doesn't allow to redefine only the size of the first character?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Preview Different Time while Editing Keyframes

Not even sure if this is possible, but, being able to lock the point in an animation that you are viewing while adjusting a keyframe either before or after where the current time indicator is placed.

I've been working on a big animation project and want to time things out that enter the frame and often have those objects outside of the camera view and am trying to key multiple object timings together at certain points.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. After Effects slow save

After Effects /// For several months now, it has been taking too long to save a project (.aep).
    This problem began in March 2019, when I was using CC 2015.
    I have updated the program but the problem still continues: CC 2017, CC2018, CC2019, 2020.
    In previous versions, saving the project only took a few seconds. Now, it takes more than a minute.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Shape trim paths should come after taper and wave operations

Using trim paths, I'm trying to animate a shape stroke that has a taper added to the start and end of the stroke. Taper is calculated relative to the length of the stroke, which AE recognises as changing according to the percentage completion of the trim paths.

This might be what you'd want some of the time, but I just want to animate the stroke like a pen mark being written on. The line left by a pen nib would not be shifting its thickness as it is being drawn on.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2D Camera and 3D Camera

Can we Get a 2D Camera in After Effects for non 3d layers? idk if this makes sense. but it would be awesome. for like Zooming in, and out and rotating around in 2D. Thankyou!!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 3D Shape Layers: Repeater in Z space with random properties. Would be amazing!

This would be amazing if the repeater option could also apply for Z dimension when the layer is turned to 3D. A random option for each dimension would be amazing as well! Especially since the repeater is not available in C4D lite, this would be such a game changer for mograph effects involving basic shapes in 3D! Would be good as the next thing after adding taper options on strokes. It's such a shame that the shapes tools are so under developped in After Effects.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Improved auto-tangents in curve editor

It's time to AE have a better curve editor with an option to auto-clamp and avoid unwanted overshooting and other weirdness.

Example attached.

Blender, for example, is an open source software that has a very clever way to manage tangents automatically.

And the source code for that is... well, OPEN. I know it's not as easy as I think, but having a working code available around at least reduces the "figuring it out" work... it's a starting point.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Dedicated shape selector tool

Dedicated shape selector tool. Make groups and paths within a shape layer more easily accessible and manipulable. No more double clicking down and having to find the properties for each group. How about some modifiers for shortcuts to get to shape layer group properties. Plus and minus sign up for depth... ?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. BUG: Parenting a layer to a layer with a scale of zero does not retain child transform

If a layer is parented to a layer with with a 0% keyframe scale, the child layer does not retain its transform, but snaps to the position/scale of the parent. The only way to avoid this is to make the scale greater than zero before parenting, in which case the child layer retains its transform properly

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix graph editor easy-ease curve kinks for key-framed properties

When a third keyframe is added to a property that is easy-eased, a kink is created in the curve that cannot be modified. Current work arounds involve separating dimensions and then manually adjusting curve handles in the value graph, destroying the original curves. The current process ruins smooth animations and has existed for years. This is a basic function and needs to be fixed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to parent individual shape layer vertices to the vertices of other shapes

It would be great if we could manipulate and parent specific vertices within shape layers to other vertices on other shape layers (rather than using Puppet Pins or third party scripts)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make Composition-/Layer-Lentgh editable via script or Essential Graphics

Would be great to get control over layer or composition length via expressions like a slider. Maybe let us set start- and end-points so that if you change the time-length in Essential-Graphics we could shorten the composition in Premiere as well and some other use cases.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Warn the user if looping frames are not lined up correctly...

I create a lot of looping animations. Loops only work if the last frame is lined up perfectly with the first frame so that it can play through seamlessly. Could you provide a warning prior to rendering to let the user know if the loops are not lined up? Thanks.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Unclamp linear

The linear expression in After Effects currently clamps t between tMin and tMax like so:

linear(0,1,2,100,200) = 100

While animating, it is useful to have the ability to overshoot and undershoot values, which linear does not have the ability to do with its current setup. Clamping t gives far different results to a traditional lerp function:

lerp(0,1,2,100,200) = 0

I am wondering why linear is clamped? Is this a bug or a feature? If this is intended behaviour, would it be possible to unclamp linear, or introduce a lerp function which does not clamp t?

I have attempted to recreate…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add a "flip" checkbox to Auto-orient along path.

Simple enough. Saves me from having to do it manually.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. mgJSON schema full of typos and errors.

Hi, I am working with the JSON schema that defines the format for mgJSON files. I took the schema from the Sensor Manager SDK (https://console.adobe.io/downloads/ae).

It turns out many keys in the document have spelling mistakes, so one never knows if the keys should be kept as they are or not. For example: hasExpectedFrequecyB, #/definitions/dyamicDataType, occuring

Besides that, when using a JSON schema validator to validate some input against the schema, the validator will complain about multiple design flaws in the original document.

Finally, the documentation Adobe provides regarding the mgJSON format is close to non existing. People…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug: Offset Paths used with Trim Paths. Can no longer reverse path direction.

If you create an ellipse shape layer, then add an Offset Paths effect, adjust the offset amount, apply a Trim Paths effect, animate the end amount, then try to reverse the path direction, nothing happens. If you hide the Offset Paths effect, you can see the reverse path direction working fine. Seems like a bug?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyesffmfhzowrir/Screen%20Cap%20Offset%20Paths%20error.mp4?dl=0

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Simple Modifier to Easing - More Ease or Less Ease

F9 and Shift F9 (I have set to easy-ease in/out) is the most used key on my keyboard. How about Instead of opening curve editor and clicking and dragging to modify the ease-in and out, you just press it again, to incrementally add a little more ease, and maybe have a modifier key to subtract a little ease. Easy enough right?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Play background video while moving the Puppet tool (Ctrl)

MAny times the Tracking tool isn't tracking perfectly and we need to move the objects we want to sync, frame by frame.
    This could have been easily fixed if there was an option to play our background video while moving the pin of the Puppet tool by pressing the Ctrl Key.
    This way you could have saved us HOURS of editing by just let us hold and move the objects along with the video.
    Without that option, this feature (of pressing the Ctrl button and animate) is basically useless.

Really hope that you'll make it happen.
    I really think it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base