After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please Bring back the 3d-ray tracing in after effects new version

Some of our old plugins and presets still working only with 3d-ray tracing.
    not only me I know lots of people who need this.

Thank you.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Maintain animation curves when using Separate Dimensions.

When using Separate Dimensions on previously keyframed animation, After Effects currently breaks the animation curves, which must then be manually corrected.

This occurs in both directions, requiring users to commit to ONLY using Separate or Combined dimensions, at risk of having to constantly redo & adjust keyframes.

This functionality is currently provided by the $15 'Keep Em Separated' plugin at AEScripts, but should be the default behaviour.

Please fix this 🙏🏻

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. null motion issue in 17.6

new issue in 17.6
    I connect some text layer to a null, without any expression. (I use parent connexion).
    Then I move the null (2d/3d motion/scale whatever) and nothing happen in the render. I tried to Clean cashs, change preview quality... The only solution is to restart AE and the action takes place.

note: I Didn't have the issue with footage layer yet.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Preview Different Time while Editing Keyframes

Not even sure if this is possible, but, being able to lock the point in an animation that you are viewing while adjusting a keyframe either before or after where the current time indicator is placed.

I've been working on a big animation project and want to time things out that enter the frame and often have those objects outside of the camera view and am trying to key multiple object timings together at certain points.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Import AI to AE: AI Layers to Precomps

For rigging and organization purposes, importing should be more tight. I guess every program in Suite can be integrated properly.

When you "export as" ai to psd, for instance, you find every path created on illustrator in a folder/subfolder inside the layers tab on photoshop.

This could be really useful if you prepare a tons of bones and parts in a rig workflow inside illustrator and try to import this project inside after effects.

In a nutshell, you should be able to import AI layers in After effects as precomps.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. After Effects slow save

After Effects /// For several months now, it has been taking too long to save a project (.aep).
    This problem began in March 2019, when I was using CC 2015.
    I have updated the program but the problem still continues: CC 2017, CC2018, CC2019, 2020.
    In previous versions, saving the project only took a few seconds. Now, it takes more than a minute.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. gradient falloff/influence on puppet tool pins

it would be amazing to have gradien falloff option for the influence distance from pin in puppet tool.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Strokes in shape layers should have a customisable end cap, rather than the three simple options currently available.

Strokes in shape layers currently offer three options for the end cap. It would be great if the end cap were customisable, either via beziers or with an importable artwork. This would make stroke animation much more powerful and useful.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Use Character Animators detailed facial tracking

I do a lot of detailed facial tracking for my content. It would literally save me days of work if AE was able to track face points as quickly as CH does.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text Wrap feature similar to Illustrator

Text Wrap feature in Illustrator will dynamically wrap text around a mask you draw maybe around a feature or object. In After Effects we are stuck with point text or paragraph text, paragraph being a strict rectangle. Being able to break that barrier dynamically would be super helpful

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Convert text to paths

It would be great if there was a function to convert a text into paths (just like in Illustrator), so I can create a graffiti painting animation for example. I know that I could trace the text by path, but it would be fine, or rather it would save a lot of time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2D Camera and 3D Camera

Can we Get a 2D Camera in After Effects for non 3d layers? idk if this makes sense. but it would be awesome. for like Zooming in, and out and rotating around in 2D. Thankyou!!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Snapping keyframes to time indicator with 'shift'

This is a functionality I had for years, but doesn't work anymore.Is there a new preference I can't seem to find for this?

I have snapping enabled in the top toolbar.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. keyframe interpolation bug in Time remapping

Time remapping, with just two keyframes over long durations, introduces stutters of incorrect frames. It's not stepping. It's jumping to anther frame for a single frame, and jumping back.

adding a keyframe Near the glitched frame, fixes this.

It's a critical bug. needs to be fixed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. loop mask keyframes

It would be great if mask keyframes were loopable using the loopOut (or In) expression.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Separate Dimensions button in graph editor for sub layers' position animation in a shape layer (eg. text converted to shape layer)

It would be great if the separate dimensions button wasn't grayed out for separate positions of sub layers, would make a lot of sense

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. A keyframe that inherits its value from the previous keyframe

Imagine a scenario with 3 keyframes where an object holds position for a second (1-2) then moves to a new position (2-3). To adjust the object hold position, you must edit keyframes 1 and 2. If you forget to update keyframe 2 you no longer have a hold. With this type of inheritance keyframe, you'd only have to worry about adjust keyframe 1, and keyframe 2 would automatically follow along.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. "Smart Baking" of expressions/keyframes

It would be wonderful to have "smart bake"-type options (a la Maya) in converting expressions to keyframes, where instead of creating a keyframe for every frame, it only bakes the expressions to existing keyframes (i.e. a "wiggled" property would only bake in the wiggled values on frames where keyframes currently exist). Further options would be welcome, as well, such as the ability to create new/baked keyframes every x frames (for example, if the expression to be baked is posterize time, set at 6 fps, you could convert the expression to keyframes, but only create a new keyframe every 6 frames…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Convert text layers to masks should honour right to left text

After Effects has the built-in feature to convert text layers into masks, and shape layers. Currently, the conversion always takes place on a left to right basis. However now that After Effects supports right to left text, and paragraphs can be created with R-T-L text, the conversion process should honour this setting and create the masks in reverse order. (NOTE that this is not as simple as reversing the mask order, as a single character may be comprised of several masks with various mask modes. The characters need to be created in right-to-left order.)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Quickly zoom/jump to active keyframes in the graph editor

In the graph editor you have the very useful 'auto-zoom graph height' button. It re-centers your graph view to your selected keyframes. I just wish I could assign a keyboard shortcut to it as I find myself doing it all the time.

In C4D you can just press the H button to do this and it's so useful!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base