After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We want ray trace back! why to take it without not even saying a word.

I know you guys are looking to improve the software and make it better, faster and up today but eliminating components such as ray trace is not a good move nor a good decition just because you let MAXON 4D to do just half of what we were able to do with ray trace. i dont think that removing ray trace is big of improvement but rather a move backwards forcing us to use tools that can do just half the work done as we previously had it. there is a big comunity out there expecting this option is available…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The Offset filter is broken.

The Offset filter is broken, and has been broken for a very long time. Here's what I wrote about it on creativecow.com back in 2013:

"This filter has been buggy for a while. It seems there’s a “magic line” of approximately 32,769, positive or negative, beyond which the Shift Center To parameter fails to work. I’m in a 1920×1080 comp, with a same-sized Photoshop file, rendering at Full quality. Set keyframes at 40,000×540 and -40,000×540. There will be no movement until the Shift Center To value crosses that 32,769 line. Then it will animate, until it reaches -32,769, at which…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Integrate Mixamo into After Effects!

I think you should integrate mixamo into After Effects to make animation of 3d characters a lot easier. This way we can use 3d animated character easily in After Effects and also allow it so people can use any character they can bring into After effects to be animated. Along with an easy way to make the characters interact with objects in a scene.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Hierarchy of Transform Properties on layer

Often when working with a layer one will want to control the layer's Transform properties themselves, but then also have additional transform control for that layer independent of the layer controls. Typically one would create a new Null and parent the layer to the Null, thus giving one another set of Transform property controls higher up in the hierarchy.

This can be useful in many situations, such as having a particular anchor point of the layer itself, but then another anchor point for more fine tuned controls (e.g., a squash and stretch for a bounce).

The current method of parenting…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Video and still image capture inside After Effects

Please add the feature of allowing After effects to connect to a webcam and capture video or still images. This will allow users to create animation using drawings or stop motion or shoot reference videos inside of after effects without having to waste time using a separate application and transferring files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. use getStyleAt() also to redefine properties

thisComp.layer("Text layer").text.sourceText.getStyleAt(0).fontSize
    gives me the size of the first character

why :
    getStyleAt(0).setFontSize(72)
    it applies to all characters and doesn't allow to redefine only the size of the first character?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Shape trim paths should come after taper and wave operations

Using trim paths, I'm trying to animate a shape stroke that has a taper added to the start and end of the stroke. Taper is calculated relative to the length of the stroke, which AE recognises as changing according to the percentage completion of the trim paths.

This might be what you'd want some of the time, but I just want to animate the stroke like a pen mark being written on. The line left by a pen nib would not be shifting its thickness as it is being drawn on.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Export to Animated PNG

It is long overdue to provide a direct export option either through the Adobe Media Encoder or Render Queue to render out a sequence as an Animated PNG and also Animated SVG formats as these are now more and more required for many web applications. It would save a lot of time in a workflow to have to export as a png sequence then use a third party application to import the png sequence and then export as an APNG.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Group name should be able to rename, It will be easy to rectify while animating characters

Can we add group name rename option, It will very help full to know multiple groups via its name, i know i can do while creating layout or character in adobe illustrator I can give layers name and import in to after effect and convert illustrator layers to "create shapes from vector layer" with its original name, but inside the particular layer, there are multiple groups, which I need to rename the layers name. Please find the attached screen shot.

Thanks,
    Amrish Jha

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automatic marker updates throughout compositions

Have master markers that update through a composition and all it's nested precomps.

I often have the same time markers in my comps and it's tedious to update them manually throughout all of them across the project. It would be a timesaver and overall more accurate if they were all linked to the parent comp and updated their timestamps accordingly

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Paste Time-Reversed Keyframes

It would be wonderful to have a Paste function that combined a standard keyframe paste followed by a Time-Reverse Keyframes process. I find myself quite often animating an element "into position" and then later wanting to reverse the process to "return" to its original state.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Expression for clip duration as trimmed within Premeire

inPoint, outPoint and thisComp.duration all reflect the original, untrimmed/stretched clip when used in Premiere.

We need an expression that can reference the (trimmed) clip duration.

Right now everyone is adding duration sliders which is a bad solution for many reasons.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3D Shape Layers: Repeater in Z space with random properties. Would be amazing!

This would be amazing if the repeater option could also apply for Z dimension when the layer is turned to 3D. A random option for each dimension would be amazing as well! Especially since the repeater is not available in C4D lite, this would be such a game changer for mograph effects involving basic shapes in 3D! Would be good as the next thing after adding taper options on strokes. It's such a shame that the shapes tools are so under developped in After Effects.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Keyboard shortcut for mask tracker analyze forward and backward.

I do a lot of detailed facial tracking for my content, a keyboard shortcut to start the analyze forward or back function would save a lot of time clicking around when I have a lot of clips to get through.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Motion Sketch Audio is STILL broken.

Please fix Motion Sketch. The Audio has been broken for FIVE YEARS.

I have to record the video on my phone, play it back and start the recording and the motion sketch at the same time just to work around this issue.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. After Effects not responding to save and Lack of Complaints Process.

After Effects refused to save on a project with a tight deadline im working on.

Didn't respond, thought it may have been due to me using large files so continued on.
    After Effects further won't let me save so now the project is useless and I have wasted 8 hours work.

Yes I should save, its usually the first thing I do. But also a program that I pay good money for shouldn't stop working over night.

I'm also appalled at the lack of formal complaints process. And that I have to use this public forum to complain is quite…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Feature Request - keyframe guides

Hi there,

it would be handy (for me at least) to have subtle guide lines appear when I'm moving keyframes, so I can line them up to keyframes in other layers more easily. Also the property of the keyframes you are moving would become subtley highlighted in other layers, so it's easier to see which keyframes you're lining up to.

Cheers,

Trev

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. add time offset or delay option to offset path

I love the new offset option for paths. What would be even cooler, if we could animate the copies with a delay without having to duplicate the layer so many times. It would be much more elegant to do everything on one layer with one or two extra properties defining the offset/delay for the keyframed animation to repeat on the copies.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. A simple way to parent keyframes to markers

You should be able to link any keyframe to any marker in a comp, in the same way you can link/parent layers to one another. There are ways to do this using complex expressions, but a simple pick-whip style tool to quickly link keyframes and markers would be an absolute game-changer. Especially for complex files in need of frequent revisions.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base