After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to quantize keyframes when time stretching with Alt key

Time stretching with the Alt/Opt key is a great way to quickly adjust the length of an animation, but it almost always leads to subframe positioning of keyframes. There are plenty of scripts out there to fix the results of this problem (I use KEYboard), but it would be great if we could avoid this problem all together by holding the Shift key after we start Alt+Dragging. Shift would be in line with the existing behavior of snapping keys to other keys, layer in/out points, and marke

36 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After Effects doesn't properly support SWF import from Adobe Animate

This would be a great feature but it doesn't work very well! Advanced layers don't work properly, some types of easing don't display correctly, and nested/masked layers don't display correctly (see attached screenshot).

Please implement it properly!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. How do you think if you put bitmap drawing on After Effect?

I use After Effect 3 years, I work on animation and I realize that I and my colleagues all want to paint directly on my work, but I don't want to switch to other software because it's quite inconvenient! So what do you think about this issue? put bitmap drawing in AE, draw on comp, trans layer (not solid layer), ....

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Control timeline properties from the effects panel - Effects panel to Properties panel

Camera layers, Lights, Sound, these layers will never have effects applied to them, why would we display an empty effects panel and waste AE screen real-estate, while it could be the perfect place to control the properties for these layers?

Think about other properties like shape layers for example and how easy it would be to just control their properties in the effect/properties panel!

Here is how that could work: http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/effects#property-controls

271 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Warn the user if looping frames are not lined up correctly...

I create a lot of looping animations. Loops only work if the last frame is lined up perfectly with the first frame so that it can play through seamlessly. Could you provide a warning prior to rendering to let the user know if the loops are not lined up? Thanks.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Frame by Frame in AE!

I was thinking about making frame by frame on AE, I tried using Paint and Stick, but at work it was quite slow, lag => I didn't like it! I have thought of one way to work both software at the same time as AE and Photoshop, but it came up with one thing: I have a 3-layer psd file, import into AE into each layer, then, I create 1 4th layer in PTS, paint on it and save, but in AE do not create that 4th layer! I know this is impossible! But do you think there is a…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Coloured Keyframes

The same way we colour our layers to keep track of categories, let us do that with our keyframes when we have a lot of them on one layer for example. Can't imagine this is very hard to do.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. vector paint

Please, bring back the Vector Paint.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Animation Preview

Hallo, in attachment is a view of my project. This it has happened when I have installed AE 2020. The view of animation is move, does not center. It's a bug?
    Thank for an answer
    By Cristina

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [BUG] Property or method names 'style' in Class 'TextProperty' is missing

Please make Javascript the default expression engine. Otherwise the new expression abilities that came out with AE 2020 are unavailable.

If any of you are trying to access the new 2020 text expression items, make sure to go to your project settings -> expressions -> Javascript

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Cel Animation Workflow

Animate and Photoshop are great tools for cel animation but both lack the usability for modern motion design workflows that After Effects would provide. Adding support for photoshop-style raster animation in After Effects would bring this powerful technique into the right environment, and add features useful for unrelated workflows.

To solve this, I propose the addition of a new Frame Paint Effect, which would would enable a fast, non-parametric way to paint into an effect. It would work like this:

Photoshop brush engine
    - Painting pixels not strokes.
    - Focus on speed, quality and tablet pressure/tilt support, NOT editability.
    -…

132 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Align Stroke : To Center, To Inside, To Outside

It would be great to incorporate the already perfected technology of aligning strokes to paths based on:

1) Path Center
    2) Path Inside
    3) Path Outside

This is an amazing feature of Illustrator, and for incorporating industry standard workflow from Illustrator to After Effects, its strange this feature does not exist, especially when motion graphics artists often use shape layers for their vector based mechanics and not pixel based.

1 great example of how not aligning stroke paths in Ae limits users is if you wanted to radially wipe a circle in After Effects. Sure, you can use the radial…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Shape Layer Repeaters with Selectors (the kind in text animators)

Shape layers could really use some love. I propose that the same way we add selectors and properties to Text Layer animations, should be used for Shape Layer Repeaters.

Draw a square, repeat it 10 times, now add a range selector with position and scale. think of the cool mograph type effects you could create with that system, The best part, is that Shape Layers and Text Animators are practically cousins, so I don't think it would be to hard to implement.

Bonus would be to also have the same path options that Text layers have as well, imagined if…

133 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Expression not always work

Error with this expression: fadeDur = .5; ease(time,outPoint,outPoint-fadeDur,100,0), not always work, trying to fade out a layer by applying it to the opacity parameter and it does not work.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Disable different axises for 3d rotation / rotate one axis only

For animation comps with cameras obviously my layers need to be 3d, which makes rotation in the composition window annoying. When I'm animating a character in 2d it's quick and easy to press W and rotate in the comp view, but if the layer is 3d it's tricky to get the right point to rotate in 3d space. In fact, I NEVER do transformations on 3d layers in the comp window because it's an unusable mess - I always dial in the numerical numbers, which is much slower.

I would love to be able to easily rotate just one axis…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keyframes in the curve editor do not have smooth curves

When animating assets in AE, anytime there are close keyframes together in the timeline, the curves never allow you to set the correct path (screen shot attached). I have 4 assets I'm animating in the same position, but are growing in size. Each of the assets wobble out of place, instead of giving me a stagnant position. I've never dealt with this in any other animation program (Maya, Cinema 4D, Apple's Motion, etc...).
    The only way around this, is to separate the values in order to animate them properly, which I find to be a huge hassle. I do several…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Unclamp linear

The linear expression in After Effects currently clamps t between tMin and tMax like so:

linear(0,1,2,100,200) = 100

While animating, it is useful to have the ability to overshoot and undershoot values, which linear does not have the ability to do with its current setup. Clamping t gives far different results to a traditional lerp function:

lerp(0,1,2,100,200) = 0

I am wondering why linear is clamped? Is this a bug or a feature? If this is intended behaviour, would it be possible to unclamp linear, or introduce a lerp function which does not clamp t?

I have attempted to recreate…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug: Editing Path and Pasting into Position Value, Doesn't Create Keyframes

When creating a path, if you copy the path and paste it into the position value, it creates key frames along that path. However, if you decide you want to edit the shape of the path using the selection tool, before copying and pasting it into the position value, it doesn't create key frames anymore, it just duplicates the path.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Adding more anchor points to one object

The possibility to add more anchor points to one layer/object. So you can animate a car or bicycle driving above a hill without using expressions.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Gradient Along a Stroke of a Shape Layer

Would love to be able to make the stroke of a Shape Layer a gradient. Even if it was just a two-color gradient from one end to the other, that would be great. If it could be RGB and Alpha, even better! The gradient could be oriented from one end of the spline to another, or along the width of the stroke.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base