After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FIX After Effects 2022 V22.0.1

After Effects 2022 v22.0.1 DOES NOT EXPORT TO MEDIA ENCODER on Windows. This problem was reported for Mac, but it was directly stated that others have the same problem on Windows. Exact same symptoms, exact same behaviour. You try to export a video from After Effects using the Media Encoder Queue, and nothing happens. Media Encoder opens and just sits there doing absolutely nothing.

155 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

70 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. ACTUALLY LET US MAKE A DIRECT COMPLAINT

How about instead of making us VOTE for features we want you to repair. You take the money we give you every month and fix the problems. No broken feature should require a popularity contest to get fixed. It's pathetic.

215 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please migrate the stuff we install properly

Revolutionary idea: Migrate all my scripts and presets to the updated version. It should not break every major update. All content gets left behind when the previous version is deleted, so why not migrate the scripts that I have installed automatically? It does so for all settings, but I keep having to reinstall my scripts and custom UI panels. Other way would be to have a folder somewhere that contains user scripts? Like in Documents/Adobe where there is already a folder?

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. RAM Preview not real time on MacBook Pro M1 Max

I'm currently having to use After Effects 2021 instead of 2022 because 2022 will not RAM preview in real time. I'm running a brand spankin' new 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max with 64GB Unified Memory & 4TB of space. The system is screaming fast so this AE issue is evidently a bug. Please fix as soon as possible Adobe because AE 2022 looks amazing and I'm dying to dive in.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback on these playback performance issues. As you may have seen, the latest update to After Effects 2022 ( 22.3 ) brings native support for Apple silicon to the release version. While we are not considering this playback performance issue fixed yet, but we do need some clarity around the exact conditions that can cause the playback performance to degrade, given that it appears to have originally been reported against After Effects running under Rosetta. With that in mind, please do the following:

If you have been running into slow previews while using After Effects 22.2.1 or earlier on Apple silicon under Rosetta, please update to 22.3 and see if the playback issues persist when you run After Effects natively. Let us know with a comment whether you continue to see any playback issues when running After Effects natively or under Rosetta.

If…

5. Stop adding new features till the program works at an appropriate speed.

I'm tracking footage as I write this. the entire file is just a single 4k video with two trackers. my cache is on an ssd, and I run a 1070 and 6700k intel chip. not the best, I know...
    bit it worked fine on 6k anamorphic video in 2016 when I made it. so now I get to say:
    what the hell adobe. how did you mess this up so much, the moment you went subscription?

it's simple. after effects has become like 3DS max: buggy, cobbled together, filled with half-functional plugins, all with messy code and badly integrated, with…

75 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Modern 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for VFX and Motion Graphics

After Effects finally needs a competitive 3D Realtime Engine (GPU) for 3D compositing and virtual workflows of the future. The Link to Cinema is too slow, complicated and unstable for simple 3D compositing tasks. So it needs something like "3D Elements" on steroids and native in AE.

Dranging some 3D Assets into AE, add some effects, tweak and light them, is a must have in 2022. Compositing, Motion Graphics and VFX are not only 2D/2,5D! - they happen now also in 3D and Realtime!

What this new real time 3D Engine needs:
    - 3D Geometry Support (import/export)
    - PBR Shaders…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. M1 Max ProRes 4444 Alpha Compressor Failing Render

Renders fail when attempting to export ProRes 4444 alpha that would otherwise not occur on Intel based macs.

Issue causes the following prompt:

"""

After Effects error: Rendering error will writing to file "...." Compressor format error. (-1610153454).

Followed by:

After Effects error: An unexpected error occured while exporting a composition. Error Code: 9988

Please restart After Effects and retry the export.

""""

Anecdotally, this is occurring on about 80% of comps I try to render. Most frequently on more complex comps with blurs and variations in the opacity levels.

Please fix this quickly, otherwise this effectively causes AE on…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you again for reporting this issue. Thanks to your reports, our team has identified the cause of the error and a fix is now available in the latest Beta builds of After Effects. Premiere Pro, and Media Encoder in the Creative Cloud app. Please try rendering your projects in the Beta builds and let us know if the issue appears to be fixed for you as well.

For those not able to use the Beta, the error can be avoided by disabling hardware acceleration for ProRes encoding, labeled "Enable ProRes hardware accelerated encoding, if available":

• In After Effects, this setting is located under Preferences > Output
    • In Premiere Pro and Media Encoder, the setting is located under Preferences > Media

Once the fix is available in the release builds, this issue will be marked as Resolved.

Thanks again for reporting this issue, and for any further…

8. Extended Viewer as an option to be enabled for 2D rather than only 3D

The new extended viewer is a great addition to the program, nice being able to see outside of the viewer frame! It would be amazing if this was an option for a 2D workflow, there's definite benefits for being able to have vision of what's outside the frame

A workaround for those who like this as well, you can create a simple 3D layer and hide it. It will allow you to still use the draft 3D mode to have the extended view enabled for your 2D layers. Not sure what impact it would have on performance though having 3D…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bug Report: Immersive Environment Projection Options

In Version 18, they removed the "VR Goggles" from the Composition Window which is where we would change the projection for the Adobe Immersive Enviroment so that the footage would be properly displayed inside of a VR Headset. You didn't give us another place to change this settings so any versions of AE past 17.7.0 are unusable for 360 VR workflows. Can we get our button back? #AdobeUXQC_Fail

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Zero denominator converting ratio denominators 17 : : 18

For After Effects and Premiere Pro users, we provide a graphic and animation pack, which is used by more than 3000 customers.

After your last updates, our customers began reporting that they were receiving the unstoppable zero denominator error message when trying to use our library. We have tried to find the source of the problem, but it continues to appear randomly with no logical explanation. As I can see some other users have reported this bug related to Time Remap.

Here is a sample project file that gives the error.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9WJGP5JsrmULsGRTIxxxRWbdRUG6bVF/view?usp=sharing

This bug makes our product unusable to users…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. After Effects needed more Tim Kurkoski at NAB

I feel that the whole NAB experience would have performed better and been much more stable if Tim was there.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. all but one text character gets selected with my cursor

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue. As mentioned by Douglas Waterfall in the comments below, a fix for this issue is available in After Effects (Beta) build 42 or later. Please download the latest Beta from the Creative Cloud app and let us know if the fix is working for you as well.

If you do experience any issues with After Effects (Beta), please report them on the Beta forums that are accessible via "Report a bug..." or "Visit the community..." when you click on the Provide Feedback button ( which looks like a speech bubble ) in the upper-right corner of the After Effects (Beta) UI.

Thank you again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

13. Kill after effects. it's done and dying, and no computer can run the buggy, leaky, bloated mess any more.

I have a workstation- it is not a beast.
    I was working with several layers of 6k anamorphic footage in 2016 without buffering.

fast forward to 2022. I can barely mask 1080p footage without making coffee while it buffers for 3 minutes.

the solution? just... make a new one. invest maybe a few million of those 15.79 billion in profits last year to making new, performant, decent software.

I'm not disparaging adobe for making money or being profitable. I'm unhappy because adobe is running a service, and the implication of providing a service is that said service is provided.

https://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects.html

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Dark Mode support in MacOS

import and save and close windows are light when they should be dark when system dark mode is on. please please please fix this, I've been waiting years for this to be fixed but somehow not fixed yet.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Lock Workspace

I think it would be useful to borrow the Lock Workspace feature from Photoshop for After Effects, esp with the wide use of so many scripts and CEP panels in many workflows. I accidentally pull off tabs or slide them around in my day-to-day use of AE, esp since I’m using a Wacom pen most of the time.

I’m sure there’s some wrinkles to consider, esp when switching Workspaces while locked - do you prompt with a pop-up or automatically switch it?

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bug Report AE 22.1.1: Menu Bar and all right click drop-downs not working

Menu bar and all right click dropdowns are not working in AE 2022. You click an item in the menu bar and nothing appears, you click again and it shows up for a moment but disappears when you move your mouse over to click on a drop down item.

When you click for the first time, you can click on drop down items by guessing the approximate location of where they are but they are invisible so it's a guessing game.

This makes AE completely unusable. Fixes when you delete your preferences file but it is not feasible to delete…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue and for your continuing feedback. The team is aware of this problem and is investigating potential fixes.

The issue appears to be that After Effects is not being fully "focused" on launch due to dialogs being shown during launch or other applications being focused while After Effects is loading. The workaround is to click the After Effects icon in the macOS Dock if the menus are not working. This fully focuses the app and should allow menus to behave correctly. Please let us know if this doesn't fix the issue for you. Relaunching can also help ( as noted below ) but clicking the After Effects icon in the dock is much more direct.

Again, we are investigating fixes for this issue to be included in a future version of After Effects. We will update this post when a fix becomes available…

17. After effects crashes when importing PSD files with latest update (version 22.2)

When importing PSD files the "importing selected items" popup gets lasts for a long time then After Effects crashes . Was working perfectly fine a few days ago.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  9 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. open multiple comps from render queue again PLEASE!

Selecting more than one comp in the render queue and double clicking no longer opens all the Comps, just one.
    Please ensure this is fixed soon.
    I assume this is a bug, like the Effects panel no longer opening when you double click a layer, and that you will be reinstating some of this basic functionality in the next point updates

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make All Effects 32bit Compatible

I use After Effects for compositing my 3D renders, and I always export 16 or 32 bit EXRs, starting to use ACES. Unfortunately, many, many effects are still only 8 bit, some support 16, and some can do 32. If you don't want to lose me and many other compositors (at least those that are left), please update more effects to 32bit!

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. New Shape Layer 'Expression Repeater'

How about a new type of Repeater for shape groups that looks pretty much the same as the existing one, except that values in it's Transform properties are not applied cumulatively, but rather have their expressions evaluated individually for every copy of the shape?

So if I add a random expression to the repeater's Position property, I get a bunch of randomly positioned copies. Ideally we'd get expression access to something like repeaterIndex (like textIndex in text layer expression selectors) but even without any new syntax it would be amazing. I can already imagine making a growing vine which automatically…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 204 205
  • Don't see your idea?