After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FIX After Effects 2022 V22.0.1

After Effects 2022 v22.0.1 DOES NOT EXPORT TO MEDIA ENCODER on Windows. This problem was reported for Mac, but it was directly stated that others have the same problem on Windows. Exact same symptoms, exact same behaviour. You try to export a video from After Effects using the Media Encoder Queue, and nothing happens. Media Encoder opens and just sits there doing absolutely nothing.

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

24 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ACTUALLY LET US MAKE A DIRECT COMPLAINT

How about instead of making us VOTE for features we want you to repair. You take the money we give you every month and fix the problems. No broken feature should require a popularity contest to get fixed. It's pathetic.

77 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Lock Workspace

I think it would be useful to borrow the Lock Workspace feature from Photoshop for After Effects, esp with the wide use of so many scripts and CEP panels in many workflows. I accidentally pull off tabs or slide them around in my day-to-day use of AE, esp since I’m using a Wacom pen most of the time.

I’m sure there’s some wrinkles to consider, esp when switching Workspaces while locked - do you prompt with a pop-up or automatically switch it?

76 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support 5.1 Audio Directly from After Effects

Being able to take an interleaved 5.1 audio WAV file and render it onto a final MOV as true multi-track (as opposed to current flattening to stereo) would be revolutionary for our Graphics department. This would alleviate the need to re-render out of Premiere to incorporate 5.1 audio onto final graphics files.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. New Shape Layer 'Expression Repeater'

How about a new type of Repeater for shape groups that looks pretty much the same as the existing one, except that values in it's Transform properties are not applied cumulatively, but rather have their expressions evaluated individually for every copy of the shape?

So if I add a random expression to the repeater's Position property, I get a bunch of randomly positioned copies. Ideally we'd get expression access to something like repeaterIndex (like textIndex in text layer expression selectors) but even without any new syntax it would be amazing. I can already imagine making a growing vine which automatically…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please migrate the stuff we install properly

Revolutionary idea: Migrate all my scripts and presets to the updated version. It should not break every major update. All content gets left behind when the previous version is deleted, so why not migrate the scripts that I have installed automatically? It does so for all settings, but I keep having to reinstall my scripts and custom UI panels. Other way would be to have a folder somewhere that contains user scripts? Like in Documents/Adobe where there is already a folder?

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bugreport: wrong colors with PNG import since AfterEffects 17.7.0

Since AfterEffects 17.7.0 the colors of PNG files will be shown not correctly. It seems the the PNGImporter ignores the colormanagement of the files or does something else wrong.
    Attached you can find screenshots with wrong and correct result.
    I also wanted to upload a sample scene so that you can test it on your site, but an upload of zip or aep is not possible.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  9 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug Report: Immersive Environment Projection Options

In Version 18, they removed the "VR Goggles" from the Composition Window which is where we would change the projection for the Adobe Immersive Enviroment so that the footage would be properly displayed inside of a VR Headset. You didn't give us another place to change this settings so any versions of AE past 17.7.0 are unusable for 360 VR workflows. Can we get our button back? #AdobeUXQC_Fail

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 18.4 is eating through my memory and then crashing during previews and renders

After Effects is eating through memory when previewing and rendering. It goes through my 128 gig in about a hundred frames and then crashes.

After effects is getting worse not better

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug: After Effects 22.0 Freezing On Splash Screen AND Causes Other Apps Not to Start

Since installing 22.0, it hangs on splash screen. Not only Afx, but also C4D now, and several apps won't start. I had to uinstall afx and delete all the Adobe folders in AppData/Roaming... My other apps returned to normal. Once I reinstalled Afx it all started again.

Sometimes splash screen hangs on "Cleaning Up, Anywhere," sometimes it's "Mocah." Sometimes I see "Adobe DVA 2022" in the task manager (sometimes not). When I "analyze the wait chain" for AfterFX.exe it says it's waiting to finish network I/O

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. an indicator to show which expression engine is in use

Currently there is no way to tell what expression engine is in use, without opening up the prefs to check. Using the legacy expressions engine causes annoying expressions errors, that can be hard to debug if you don't realise that the legacy expressions engine is running.
    An indicator (or switch) in the UI, maybe as part of the expressions editor would be helpful.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Interface is Slow and Laggy

Dear Adobe,

Me again.

Please stop everything that you're doing with the development of new bells and whistles and doodads and put all your resources and firepower into resolving the years-old issue of the Slow and Laggy Interface in After Effects. Seriously. It's been YEARS. I kept thinking, "ah, they'll fix it soon.." and hope for the best and I end up feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every time a new update for After Effects comes out. "Maybe they fixed it!" And it's still not fixed.

When I contact Support I'm told, "the issue that you…

201 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Improve "inline" styling of text via Expressions

It would be great to not only be able to use the "getStyleAt()" method, but also implement something like "setStyleAt()" in order to style portions of the text separately.

It would also help to be able to chain different styles together. Right now, it's impossible to do proper text styling with different style types programmatically. It would be incredibly helpful, especially for Templates / MOGRTs.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Render Queue - File Name and Location Template bug in 2021 (18.4.1 (Build 4))

so I have a project:
    F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\Film Name\CODE.2.6.2021.aep

When I use the File Name and Location Template (in AE 2021 only, all other versions work fine)
    [projectFolder]\renders\FINALS[compName]_Proof.[fileExtension]

It seemingly randomly saves the file(s) in either:
    F:\renders\FINALS* or
    F:\filmmaking\renders\FINALS* or
    F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\renders\FINALS*
    never F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\Film Name\renders\FINALS* like it is supposed to.

If after I apply the template, I click on the link, it takes me to the dialogue showing exactly where it is supposed to go. Click render and it renders to the correct path.

If I don't click the filename first, it renders to a random parent…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "V" shortcut does not work in AE 18.1

After update to 18.1 the "V" key is not working to choose the selection tool.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Stop adding new features till the program works at an appropriate speed.

I'm tracking footage as I write this. the entire file is just a single 4k video with two trackers. my cache is on an ssd, and I run a 1070 and 6700k intel chip. not the best, I know...
    bit it worked fine on 6k anamorphic video in 2016 when I made it. so now I get to say:
    what the hell adobe. how did you mess this up so much, the moment you went subscription?

it's simple. after effects has become like 3DS max: buggy, cobbled together, filled with half-functional plugins, all with messy code and badly integrated, with…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. More intelligent pasting of instances of Effects

If I copy an effect and paste it to a layer which already has an instance of that effect, instead of resulting in two instances of the effect, my values are pasted into the pre-existing instance.

I get that this can sometimes be a time-saver but I think there are more times when it’s annoying and I think it’s counter-intuitive for newer users.

The behaviour could be that values are pasted if I selected specific properties within the effect when I clicked Copy. That would follow my intention and other behaviours within AE.

Or

The behaviour could be that values…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. After effects 2021 hangs on composition opening

AE 2021 hangs when I load compositions in the project.
    If I move to a different composition or go inside a nested composition it doesn't matter - the program will hang - only force quitting will help.
    Makes this version unusable.
    I have older versions of AE and it works fine.
    I use macOS Catalina
    happens randomly on new projects as well as old ones.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  24 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Audio pipeline for essential graphics media replacement

Media replacement in Mogrts has been amazing for so many usecases. But as it stands, it is only pushing pixels outside of source compositions.

This means it still does not have a ton of use outside of still images or media without audio.

It would be great if I could use media replacement to replace a video clip in after effects, and have the audio from the replacement video playback as well!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Error message with AE 2022

AE 2022 is unstable and have bugs. It keeps cashing and sometimes just won't opening, I have to force quit and restart.
    I also got this error message when opening a specific project :
    "Internal verification error, sorry! [no current context]".
    I tried to reinstall AE, did not work, then I reinstalled CC desktop and all my app, and I still got this message.
    I was hoping today's update was going to fix that, but no, I still got the error.
    I had to downgrade AE to the previous version and now everything's fine. I miss the good old times…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 188 189
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base