AAF imported sequences not playing on Apple Silicon machines
Video Sequences imported from a linked AAF do not play back on Apple Silicon Macs. However, the same imported sequence/project plays back fine on Intel based Macs.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Export an AAF from Avid Media Composer (or DaVinci Resolve...the issue occurs with AAFs exported from both apps), using linked media, not embedded
Import the AAF into Premiere Pro (22.4) on an Apple Silicon Mac (launching Premiere in Rosetta 2 mode)
Park the playhead anywhere in the imported sequence. The frame under the playhead does not appear in the Program Monitor until after an inordinate amount of time (usually 15 seconds on my 2021 Macbook Pro MAX)
Open the source clip in the Source monitor, and try to scrub or park the playhead on the clip. The same behavior occurs, where it takes 15+ seconds for the frame to be displayed
Re-importing the source clip into the project––directly from the Finder––yields normal playback/scrubbing performance, even when edited into the same AAF imported sequence.
The same behavior occurs, regardless of if Premiere is running in Rosetta 2 emulation mode or not
The issue occurs with AAFs created with either Avid Media Composer or DaVinci Resolve
Taking the same .prproj file containing the AAF imported sequence, and opening it on an Intel Mac, results in normal, expected timeline playback/scrubbing performance
Initially importing the Avid AAF into a prproj file on an Intel Mac, then opening that same project on an Apple Silicon Mac does not resolve the issue.
The issue occurs when testing with multiple different clips from different sources.
The issue occurs even on the simplest, cuts only test sequences (e.g. no effects, no speed changes, not resizing etc)
Attempting to work around the issue on the Apple Silicon machine, by reimporting the source clip into the project, then doing Replace Edits on each timeline clip, does not work. The replace edit links to the entirely wrong timecode when doing this.
Deleting Media Caches does not solve the issue
We reproduced the behavior on different M1 Macs in two physically separate locations (so the issue is not related to shared storage)
XML imports of the same sequence (exported from DaVinci Resolve) work fine on the Apple Silicon machines
VIDEO SCREENCAST DETAILING THE ISSUE:
Mel Matsuoka commented
This issue is continuing to be a showstopping problem with our delivery workflow.
I did more troubleshooting, and discovered something interesting when comparing the "Properties…" metadata for an AAF imported clip vs the metadata for the exact same clip that was manually imported into the same project from the Finder.
I noticed that the AAF imported clip was missing an Audio track (It skipped between "Audio Track 1" and "Audio Track 3"). But the manually imported clip displayed all of the Audio Tracks in the Properties metadata (see attached screen grab).
The consistent thing through all my testing, however, is that ProRes MXF files work fine in AAF imports, but ProRes .MOV files do not.
Mel Matsuoka commented
After further troubleshooting, I've found that the issue only seems to be occurring with ProRes clips in MOV containers. ProRes clips in MXF containers playback and scrub just fine when importing the AAF into Premiere!
Here's my test AAF:
The footage to link to can be downloaded from Arri's sample footage site (sorry I can't do direct links to the files, so you'll need to search by filename):
- ProRes MXF (F003C002_190925_MN99.mxf)
- ProRes MOV (B001C001_180327_R1ZA.mov)