Bug: Audio exported from Premiere Pro 2021 via Final Cut Pro XML
I've encountered a consistently repeatable bug with Final Cut Pro XML imports.
For some reason this only applies to NEW 2021 projects, I've tried both 15.1 and 15.4 and both versions have the bug. Any project created in Premiere Pro 2019 and then opened in 2021 will export fine to XML.
However if you create a new project in 2021, drag an mp4 to the project, and then right click and create a new timeline from the mp4 file, then make 10-20 cuts (unlinking the video and audio may or may not make a difference - have not tested, many of my edits are mostly unlinked audio).
Add Constant Power transitions to fade between the audio, then export the XML file. Now go to Open Project and open your exported xml file. The audio clips will appear to be in the right spot but the audio they contain will be shifted, and any transitions you added to the audio will be scattered around in weird places like a fade on top of the middle of an uncut audio clip.
To summarize, projects created in 2019 do not display this bug, the project must be created in 2021, not just opened in 2021. The xml itself is buggy, the same mismatched audio and transition positioning will be present if you reimport the bugged xml into 2019.
We’ve followed the guidance you’ve posted, and can create no problematic XML files. From QE:
We’ve tried variations of linked or not and different types of cuts and slip edits, and they always came back in perfectly via XML whether I imported or did Open Project like the user suggested.
Can you provide a project, and step-by-step instructions on how to reliably reproduce the problem you’re seeing?
Just to follow up on this further, after comparison of xml files from what should have been identical projects, it appears that 2021 exports the xml with a different timecode/ntsc values than an identical project brought in from 2019.
2019 converted to 2021: 24/TRUE
The pproTicksIn/Out are also completely different numbers. The duration/start/end/in/out values are correct though, so if you strip the ppro values and change the timecode/ntsc to the correct values you can open the xml in Premiere Pro and the project will be correct.
Obviously this is a very hackish workaround though, if you could tell me what kind of timeframe we're looking at for an official fix that would be much appreciated.
Just checking back to see if the additional info allowed you to reproduce the issue, or if you need more input?
I did a bunch of testing and I think I've isolated the issue, seems to be certain framerates. This test is done on the newest version of 2021 that I installed yesterday, using a fresh video I hadn't used before to avoid any possible cache bugs.
Attached are two projects and two xml exports zipped, I used the same video but for the second test I converted it using ffmpeg to change the framerate slightly to match other problem videos I've had, and this triggered the bug.
To replicate: Take mp4 15+ minutes long with sound that's easy to tell if it's in sync with the video (people talking, etc).
1. Make new project in Premiere Pro 2021
2. Drag mp4 to project pane
3. Right click mp4 and create new timeline from it
4. Use razor tool to make two cuts maybe 30 seconds to a minute apart later than 14-15 minutes into the video, ripple delete the part of the video between the two cuts (no transitions needed)
5. Click on sequence in project pane, file > export > final cut pro xml
6. close project
7. Open project > select your exported xml and open
8. Move playback to after the cut you made and play, audio is totally out of sync, timeline shows red markers indicating time out of sync or something.
Note, if you try this with an mp4 that has a framerate of 23.976023 (as shown in VLC > codec), you will not get the error in step 8, the xml will load and look fine. If you use ffmpeg to convert it to a framerate of 23.976033 instead you can trigger the bug. Here's the command:
ffmpeg -i "source-video.1080p.mp4" -filter:v fps=23.976033 "source-video.1080p.23.976033.mp4"
I believe other framerates like 23.976000 and 23.976027 will trigger it as well but I didn't test them, I just have other projects with source files that use those framerates that have exhibited the error.
If you want the source videos I used let me know, I just downloaded a Youtube video and then used ffmpeg to adjust it to trigger the bug.