Feature Request: Add Legacy title tool functionality into Essential Graphics
If Legacy title tool is going away, please add it's functionality to the essential graphics panel. I'm a very avid user of the legacy title tool and I find that I'm infinitely more proficient and efficient when using the legacy title tool vs the essential graphics panel.
If adobe is going to force us users to switch to the Essential graphics panel in future updates, I would great appreciate some of the key functionality of the legacy title tool being implemented into the essential graphics tool.
- In Legacy Titler (LT), the user has a line tool to create a very simple line either horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Essential graphics only gives us the option of a rectangle which you have to then approximate into a line if you need a line. Also LT gives us the ability to control the width/weight of the line with a number, making it even easier to create said line.
- in the same idea, LT gives us shape tools like the circle tool which we can use to create a perfect circle by holding down the shift key while clicking and dragging. Essential graphics has an ellipse but when it is selected, the shape isn't a perfect circle and theres no easy way that I can find to make it a perfect circle.
- Alt+Click and drag to duplicate. In LT, you can click on a shape, line or text while holding the Alt key and duplicate that item. Essential graphics does not have this functionality.
- Inner/Outer stroke: In LT, the user can choose to create a stroke on the outside of an object or the inside. The outer stroke creates a rounded edge on sharp corners. In the Essential graphics, the stroke option seems to only limit the user to an inner stroke which creates a very sharp corner and may not always be the desired choice.
- LT has the "*****" parameter for text, which is very useful. I cannot find the same parameter in the Essential graphics panel.
- Fill options: LT gives us the ability to choose bevels, gradients, solid and eliminate fills while Essential graphics seems to only give us the option of a solid fill or no fill. Those extra options could be necessary to someone.
- Back to the shape options, the Pen tool is present in LT while it is not an option in the Essential graphics.
I hope someone from adobe sees this and at least considers the idea. I'm sure I'm not alone in this need for these features to be available in Premiere. As it stands, I'm simply unable to get the same results with Essential Graphics that I can easily achieve in LT.
Eric Merrow commented
Mike, the asterisk was supposed to say ' ***** parameter' not sure why it did that. Thanks for all the info! I'll have to keep trying to learn more about essential graphics.
Hi! I am a Quality Engineer on the Motion Graphics Team. Thanks for your requests! Great to get feedback from users.
- Mike (my boss btw :)) already clarified that you do indeed have the pen tool to use for Essential Graphics, it's right were you find the rectangle and the ellipse in the tools panel.
- while there is no line tool with Essential Graphics you can create paths with the pen tool
- you can create a perfect circle and a square. The trick is to first drag the mouse to draw the shape, then hold down shift.
- alt-drag to duplicate: that's a good request. Thanks!
- while we don't have inner strokes with Essential Graphics you do have a way to have a rounded stroke. If you want to set this globally, go through the panel menu at the top of the Essential Graphics panel (menu looks like three dashes), Text Layer Preferences, and there under Stroke Styles change the Line Join to Round Join. If you only want this for a specific layer but not globally, you can find the same dialog when selecting the layer in the Essential Graphics panel, click on the wrench menu of the Appearance section and change the setting there.
-Fill Options: With Essential Graphics you can add linear and radial gradients to shapes and since the latest version of Premiere Pro also to text. Click on the color swatch for Fill and find a gradient dropdown in the Color Picker dialog on the top left.
You can find more info in our user guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/essential-graphics-panel.ug.html
Mike Berry commented
Hi Eric -
- What is the "*****" parameter?
Mike Berry commented
Hi Eric -
I wanted clarity on one of your comments: "Back to the shape options, the Pen tool is present in LT while it is not an option in the Essential graphics." There is a pen tool in the EGP. Is some aspect of it not working for you?