CC 2020 Timeline Clips Shifts After Moving Project / Relocating / Relinking
We have several users of BRAW Studio experiencing timeline shift after moving their projects between computers. Sometimes it even goes back to the first frame.
If this also happens to you please tell your story in Adobe Community Forums : https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/cc-2020-timeline-clips-shifts-after-moving-project-relocating-relinking/m-p/10923880
Happens only with CC 2020 (both 14.0.0 and 14.0.1), both OSX and Windows, all framerate (23.96 fps and 25 fps for example).
Apparently happens with others formats than .braw : https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/linking-media-losing-in-and-out-points/td-p/10922669 "I have this problem on every file type I have tried; R3D, BRAW and CRAW"
Attached is a zip with the two .prproj from a user editing with .braw and you can see what's changing inside <MediaFrameRate> and <TimecodeFormat>, also the timecode changes from 01:43:25:03 to 01:43:31:16000
Please investigate and fix this issue it is very annoying and preventing users to edit in good conditions with Premiere Pro it is quite urgent
Thanks Antoine and Tony, I got the manual method to work!
Thanks Tony I updated the article
Adobe is aware of the issue, have identified some anomalies in the timecode info provided for the media, and are working with Autokroma to better understand the issue.
Yes, you can use my image. Thank you.
Great to know, will update the article. Can I use your image ?
I got it working. As far as I can tell all clips on my timeline now have the correct in/out points, line up and are back to normal.
Where I initially got a bit lost was with Keka. so for #7 in the manual method, open up Keka, select gzip in the upper right corner, then drag the _fixed.xml on top of the Keka window and it then creates the .gz file, which you then suffix with .prproj. Then open this file up and voila! Thank you Antoine!
What you know as a "zip" is just one of many formats that are trying to losslessly compress your data. You need to use Keka to compress the .xml into a ".gz" with the "gzip" choice, not into a ".zip" with the "zip" choice. If you add ".prproj" with anything else than "gzip" Premiere Pro will refuse to read your file
Hi Antoine, thank you for the response. I get to #7 in the manual method. I'm on a Mac so I use Keka to archive the '_fixed.xml'
Once I do this I get the '_fixed.xml.zip' Should I then name it like this '_fixed.xml.prproj'? or _fixed.prproj'? I actually tried both and it didn't seem to work. But I feel like I may be missing a step?
Once the file is archived with Keka am I just adding the .prproj or so I need to extract again?
I updated the article with more precise instructions and a bug fix ! https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Premiere-Pro-Timeline-Shift-First-Frame-After-Moving-Project-Relinking/
For anyone who it is a really urgent problem and who can't follow the tutorial you could try to hire freelancers on Upwork.com to help you go through the tutorial (the freelancer can install free trial of Adobe), it is very quick!
Tony where were you stuck in the manual method tutorial ? did you try to downgrade to PrPro 2019 ? (it'll be easier to start with)
Uses Carbon Copy Cloner to copy exact file structure to new ext harddrive, opened up prem project, all clips on the timeline start at the beginning of the clip. All in/outs have not been translated over. Is there a fix? I tried the fixes on the braw studio site but nothing seems to work
Hum maybe you need to check that the resulting XML is valid and the paths are correct. You can CTRL+F to search what the place to replace paths look like and compare before/after to see if it's wrong somewhere
Antoine, I did try the manual method and obviously did something wrong because the project file showed as corrupted after I went through the process. Nothing was lost because this was a duplicate file. I'm fairly tech savvy but I may try to find someone else to help.
Sorry for the manual method being too complicated but for now there is no other way around. Please tell me at what step you are stuck and what you don't understand !
Or if you know someone a little bit more tech savvy he could do it for you
Hi Antoine Autokroma - thanks for the reply.
The simpler fixes (revert to PPro 2019 and create XMLs) aren't fixes for me as I have multiple projects with multiple clients at any one time so always need the latest version to be able to work with them. Creating XMLs every time I want to save some space or move my files isn't a practical solution either for me.
I did attempt but couldn't properly follow the manual method you suggested. I'm on Mac OS and found it too technical to be able to execute. Maybe a demonstration video would help?
Or hopefully Adobe could help with a fix which wouldn't require additional steps just to continue working an existing project.
mfost3, Thiago, Austin and Clayton have you tried our article ? https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Premiere-Pro-Timeline-Shift-First-Frame-After-Moving-Project-Relinking/
Same problem for me. Every single time I move footage e.g. onto external hard drives to free up space for other projects, and then need to continue editing those files in my project, I re-link the footage but it's all out of sync (edited clips just start from the very beginning of the footage file without retaining the previously created in-points).
So frustrating and is costing lots of time to fix manually.
Thiago Kume commented
I'm having a problem with this in time.
every time my projects are modified.
I have many projects going in bad shape.
I can't even make a backup because they give problems ...
I've used 23.9 .. 24, 30, 59fps and nothing worked.
it is increasingly difficult to work with premiere.
every time I update there is an inevitable bug.
Please fix this ASAP, it's caused me to lose at least one day on a project.