Enhancement of essential graphics text tools
We want to be able to add gradients, scene features, and apply multiple shadows to text (as with legacy titles).
It is inevitable that legacy titles will disappear someday.
However, we want at least the features equivalent to legacy titles to be included in Essential Graphics.
For that purpose, I want to be able to add a gradient scene function and apply multiple shadows.
The Essential Graphics text tool has evolved significantly with the April 2019 update. Especially in Japan, joy was raised. Later, if you evolve a little more, it will create great value in the Japanese video production world.
Roland Kahlenberg commented
I made a type tool for PPro based on AE's Text Tool. It's already got a built-in gradient and tonnes of features. I spent a short while adding Sheen, Bevel, Stroke and basic texture. No drop shadows yet as I think you should be able to use PPro's Drop Shadow and create a preset from there. I'm a bit concerned with preview performance for AE MoGRTs.
Here's what I came up with. I think it looks OK even though it's not going to satisfy all your needs.
If someone from Japan is willing to help me test and tweak this thingy, we my have a good solution - PM me.
typeGEMs V2 Promo Video -
PPro Templates - combination of typeGEMs V2 (for text animation) and PPro's Shape thingy.
Thank you all for taking the time to contribute here. The feature request I submitted some time ago is still there and we have implemented some improvements but not all of them yet. We understand that the Legacy Titler cannot go away if there are still bug gaps in a lot of users' workflows. For now, let me clarify some things to make sure you understand you available options right now.
(1) Gradients - gradients for Shape layers are already possible with Pr graphics. This includes multiple stops, angle control and opacity gradients. Simply select a shape, click on Fill in the EGP, and then use the Gradient fill pulldown in the upper left of the Color Picker. You will then see UI that will let you set Color and Transparency stops as well as a start, end and mid point for your gradient.
(2) Layers with texture fill - textured fill is possible by means of our EGP masking feature. Put an image (still or video) under your Text (or other) Layers as a Clip Layer in the EGP. Select the top Layer and then check on Mask with Text (or Mask with Shape) and you will now have a layer that has a textured fill. (see attached screenshot) Put the two layers inside a Group in the EGP and the masking will not affect layers outside that Group.
Note; You can make your own Gradient for Text by using the same basic steps I just described for Texture fill. Just use a Shape with a Gradient fill as your underlying Layer instead of a clip Layer.
Example .prsl file
(ENCOURAGE OTHER USERS TO UPLOAD THEIRS AS WELL)
Maybe the easiest thing for you to be would be to load up some presets and try to recreate them with the new titler. Here is an assortment of a few. Maybe someone else can post theirs, too. I think some of these do use multiple drop shadows though. BTW, you won't be able to see the "textures" because I did not include the png files. Enjoy.
I tried to attach directly but probably the prsl file is too large, so I'll just attach a link.
I am an American editor who edits for the Japanese world. I have to use the legacy titler because I cannot get the equivalent with the new text tools. Things like adding a background "texture" (usually as a png for a complex fill), sheen setting, "depth" strokes, gradient fills with multiple stops, gradient fill angle, etc.
By the way, I brought this issue up in 2017 (Japan is, after all, a large Adobe market) and jstrawn said he would submit an internal feature request.
See the link at the end for a short discussion and real world examples of the types of text styles that are alive, well, and essential in Japan.
If editors can't do them in Premiere, editors will HAVE to do them elsewhere. And they aren't going to switch into AE just to do titles. Trust me on this.
@James S (Adobe) (Software Product Quality Specialist (DVA), Adobe DVA)
By the way, let me translate what the top poster actually said:
Essential Graphics Text Tool Enhancements
Regarding text, we need the additional functions of things like gradients and sheens, and multiple shadows (the way that Legacy Titler could).
It is understandable that someday Legacy Titler will go away.
However, it is imperative that the Essential Graphics have at least the same feature set as the Legacy Titler.
To make that happen, we need to have features of gradients, sheens, and multiple shadows.
There was large progress made with the April 2019 update of Essential Graphics. Especially in Japan, this update made users very happy. With just a little more polishing, the Essential Graphics panel could be of huge value to the video making word of Japan.
PS - the Japanese word for シーン can be equivalent to scene or sheen, and in this case it is sheen.
秀樹 藤野 commented
Jesus Delgado commented
I think they should just get rid of it and add a AE tool inside premiere or just integrate them better
明 照山 commented
I want it too.
裕紀 相川 commented
友岳 二瓶 commented
i wanna use that function
邦彦 伊藤 commented
I want that function
隆 千代 commented
Hi James, @James S (Adobe) (Software Product Quality Specialist (DVA), Adobe DVA)
Thanks for writing a comment!
I know it.
Our request is a gradient for text.
This is a very important request.
The translation into English was not done well.
This is the function of the legacy title Sheen.
I will attach a screenshot.
You have multiple strokes in April 2019.
Similarly, we want multiple shadows.
Now that you can only cast one shadow, you can't stroke outside the shadow. If you have multiple shadows, you can add strokes and soft edges outside the shadows.
This also attaches a screenshot!
Also, I forgot to write, but I want to put the texture in the text.
Please refer to the attached image for this as well.
These are productions that are used very often on Japanese television.
Now, this effect has increased on youtube.
Adding this feature will be a major factor in making PremierePro easier to use!
Thank you! ! !
卓央 川元 commented
These are all good requests, thanks for sending them to us. Most of these we've heard from our Japanese community and other users before, but to be sure we have them covered can you clarify some things?
(1) Gradients - gradients for Shape layers are already possible with Pr graphics. Simply select a shape, click on Fill in the EGP, and then use the Gradient fill pulldown in the upper left of the Color Picker. You will then see UI that will let you set Color and Transparency stops as well as a start, end and mid point for your gradient.
(2) Scene features - what do you mean by this? Please explain, with a screenshot if needed.
(3) Multi shadows - can you please send me a real world sample of some titles with Multi Shadows? We recently added multiple strokes so I'm not sure whate else is needed for multi shadows.
Thanks in advance. I'll make sure stories are in place for the remaining things you need to be free of the Legacy Tilter for good.