Timecode is still incorrectly reported by Premiere 13.1.3
Blackmagic RAW v1.5
Editing a feature that was begun on OS X PPro 13.0.1 and just migrated media/project files to a faster Win10 machine. For various reasons, had to do something I rarely do and that is upgrade to PPro 13.1.3 mid-project. Using the new BRAW codec for Premiere, I unlinked from the transcoded ProRes files I was previously editing on and linked media directly to the braw files directly taken from a BMPCC4K camera.
To my horror, all my sequences and synced clips of the entire movie are off by up to 1.5 minutes. Timecode displayed in my Program Monitor are DIFFERENT than the timecodes in my footage bin (i.e. "Media Start").
I've since read many of the posts here and elsewhere and see there was a problem with recent versions of Premiere in misrepresenting timecode, which is absolutely baffling.
I tried a workaround suggested to make a New Project and use the Media Browser to import clips and/or sequences from the older project. Did not work for me.
Okay fine- proxy/transcoded workflow, migration from Mac>PC, upgrading in the middle of a project, lots of variables, right?
So... keeping it simple I tried making a New Project in Premiere 13.1.3 and via media browser importing several BRAW clips into this lean, brand-new project. Checked the 1st frame of each clip within Premiere. Also, using the BRAW Player v1.5, I opened the same clip(s) to compare side-by-side.
Starting timecodes are ALL different in Premiere varying between a few seconds to minutes while viewing the same files!
What is going on? It can't just be me.
I don't feel comfortable proceeding if Premiere is STILL displaying/reporting the wrong timecodes. I will eventually be needing to do some roundtrips and handoffs to others so incorrect timecode is inexcusable. I'm devastated at the prospect we may have to re-sync and manually reconform all our edits, since the previous timecodes are useless.
Reconnected a large project in Premiere only to find all clips suddenly out of sync with externally recorded audio. A much simpler test (see first comment below) shows that Premiere 13.1.3 is "making up" a false timecode while BRAW Player & Resolve report the correct timecode. Any kind of conforming will be next to impossible until this is fixed.
Antoine (Autokroma.com) commented
If anyone here is wondering what to do we have a way to fix timecode in our own plugin BRAW Studio https://autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/
On the left, the BRAW Player v1.5 showing timecode of the first frame as 02:37:55:02
On the right, Premiere 13.1.3's Source Monitor of the exact same file, showing timecode as 02:37:45:14
When I load the same file into Resolve 16.0 (stable release) it also shows 02:37:55:02