Captions Not Updating
I've now split my caption bugs into two reports. This one is about captions not updating.
This isn't something that happens every time, but it happens almost every time. Basically, captions don't update.
This might be when changing font details, like type, size, colour, etc, but also when changing the content of the caption, or its timing, or its placement. So, the problems are kind of across the board.
It should be noted that I'm referring to Open Captions, with a sequence appropriate frame rate, and resolution. This applies to imported .SRT files, and captions created directly within Premiere.
Sometimes restarting Premiere fixes the problem, but not always. When that doesn't work, sometimes I can temporarily modify the captions properties (change the frame rate, and then immediately change it back), and that occasionally forces the captions to be read correctly. Sometimes nothing really seems to work.
What's super-frustrating is that I can see in an expanded timeline video track that the caption has been updated, but in the Program/Source monitor, it shows an out of date version.
Deleting render files, and clearing the media cache does not always resolve the issue. Regardless, having to do that every time I have to work with captions would be a pretty frustrating workaround.
Please note that these occurs on both Mac and PC, but I'm currently on a Windows system, so I will post the specs for this machine:
Premiere Pro 13.1.2, build 9
Windows 10 64-bit (1903)
Nvidia RTX 2070 (431.36)
2x HP Z27 displays (3840x2160 @60Hz)
Any thoughts or ideas, please fire them through. If you require any further information, please don't hesitate to ask, and I will provide it as soon as possible.
We have completely redesigned the captioning workflow in Premiere Pro version 15.0. You will see many dramatic workflow improvements. Please update to the latest version.
Learn all about the new captions workflow here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.html
Willy Vasic commented
We are a 2 years further and it's still buggy. Currently updating to 15.4.1, but the captions not updating is still a big problem.
Darren Manden commented
Thanks for the response, though hopefully it's clear why people are frustrated.
This post is well over a year old, and the issues are very much still in existence.
Your response is literally the first time that anybody from Adobe has said anything in this thread. What is the point of UserVoice, if it's basically ignored by Adobe, and is allowed to become an echo chamber for extremely (and, as far as I can tell, rightfully) frustrated paying users?
Looking forward to hopefully hearing more from you, or other Adobe staff.
We announced updates about our new captions workflow at Adobe MAX last month!
Follow this link to learn more where Jason Levine breaks down the new feature available in Beta: https://youtu.be/F0xbbgVI1Ms
You can also apply to be a part of the Speech-to-Text transcription Beta. https://pages.adobe.com/premiere/en/speechtotext/
John Staton commented
Again, the premiere team doesn't care about captions... continually ongoing issues a year later and nothing?
We all have the same problem, and seems Adobe is not interested to fix this? It has been a long time now, and many updates later still no fix?
Lily Cosgrove commented
Same issues here. I would love to figure out where the SRT cache is so i don't have to keep reimporting updated SRTS!
My issues and workarounds -
-SRT not relinking when replacing with an updated SRT
-when importing SRT, the import settings customization (making them bigger) doesn't always work.
- I have seen it change on the timline but not in the source
- I have been able to modify > interoperate footage > changing the resolution / PAR
- I have been able to select all captions in the caption window and change the size that way but it doesn't always take.
New Vision Media commented
I've just spent an hour on the phone with Adobe Support on the same issue.
To clarify the issue as I see it:
1. SRT imported into Premiere
2. Changes made to SRT file externally (or a replacement SRT file supplied)
3. Unlink original SRT file in Premiere and Relink or Replace with new SRT file.
4. Captions do not update.
The only way I can get the captions to update is by renaming the SRT file with a different name, reimporting the file and replacing it on the timeline.
Through discussion with Adobe support it seems that Premiere must create some kind of cached version of the SRT upon import based upon the filename. Clearing the main cache doesn't force it to rebuild, only reimporting a new file with a different name works.
I've asked support to pass on their findings to the engineering team but I guess we'll just have to see if they deem this important enough to look into!