How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Overexposed parts of video blacked out

This happened seemingly out of nowhere. I was watching back the final edit of a project when all of the overexposed portions of the video were blacked out. I have no idea what caused it or how to fix it. See attached screenshot.

For reference, I am working on a 2015 Macbook Pro on High Sierra 10.13.6. Video was shot on a Fuji X-T3 camera, 4k 24fps, 400 mbps, 4:2:0 10 bit, H.265 files. I used Apple ProRes proxies at 720p. The blacking out was not present when I started (and finished) editing. It came up during final playback, at which point no fix I tried (resetting the color correction, deleting Lumetri from effects, rendering, deleting the timeline and starting over) was able to correct it.

16 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Martin Adamko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me it seems it has something to do with the bit depth of the effect applied on the footage.

This theory is highly speculative, I had not much time to inspect. But it makes quite sense the overexposed areas are those with the extra bits. So the filters should be capable of such bit depth.

In my case it was just the Warp stabilizer filter in Premiere Pro causing the black clipping highlights. Using the same filter (but 32 bit) in AE worked as expected.

Idea for a permanent solution: Port the plugin from AE to Premiere Pro.

• Tobias Moen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe please fix this! It is super annoying and is a huge inconvenience when editing files from my Fuji ...

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base