How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Yes, please support Linux. This would be a huge milestone. Thanks...

Thanks

10,470 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone,

first of all: thanks to all the people who joined in the last two days to vote and comment on this particular item. Please stick around and tell us what else you’d like to see implemented or improved moving forward.

If you were wondering why this post was offline for a couple of hours: it’s because of this quick surge in votes. It triggered a spam filter (and it took me a little while to figure out how to undo this without losing the comments).

Since several people posted in the meantime about Adobe not being interested in your feedback, let me assure you that this is about as far from the reality as it gets. We truly appreciate your candid feedback.

That said, a word of caution: while this item is now at the top due to a person with a good following on Twitter creating awareness, it doesn’t mean it immediately becomes our top priority. It’s been voted for since April, and never made it to the top 100 before this dramatic surge on Dec 11th.

And yet another word of caution in an attempt to set expectations correctly: while we’re gonna use this request as another trigger to redo market analysis for the need to port to linux, it’s been true for many years that the vast majority of our user base wouldn’t consider it as an alternative to currently supported platforms. Unless that has changed significantly, keeping the balance between dealing with other request versus adding another platform might not make it viable to add support for linux.

As I’ve worked for a company doing Win, MacOS and Linux prior to joining Adobe, I’ll add a bit of color to this request: doing Linux isn’t really about adding one OS, it’s at least several, if not many. Putting software that’s demanding on CPU, GPU and then some onto a linux system means developing and testing against several of the major flavours if you expect great results.
It’s also true that our large partner eco-system is mostly not on Linux today, so you’d be losing a ton of functionality outside the core application for years to come.

In a nutshell: this isn’t a simple thing to do – but we’re gonna take another hard look as to what’s the demand as I already mentioned above.

Stay tuned – and thanks again for coming to this forum to voice your ideas.

Patrick
Prinicpal Product Manager, Editing

2559 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Hans Werner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linux port is required for me as professional.
    Please do it.
    Use a container so you dont have to mess with different distributions.

• Cristophero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think if they added adobe to linux, it would be a big gain for both parties, I would pay the adobe service if I was in linux!

• James Weeks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

are they high? I have wanted to ditch windows entirely for years, only thing keeping me dealing with it is adobe refuses to port it to linux.. JUST PORT IT TO LINUX

• Brett Lockhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you will see a huge jump to Linux if CC was available there. You can probably 10x this upvote number.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The situation isn't as hard as you make it, you wouldn't have problem supporting distributions, the distributions would have the problem supporting you. However your real problem is that anything that isn't supported on Linux will have free replacements.

• Leonardo Ribeiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just fyi.. I'm a adobe user for more than 5 years and always wanted to change to linux.

I didn't change because I depend on adobe to get my job done. I have both windows and mac, but I no longer want to use any of them.Windows evolved a lot, but it's still broke. Mac is too expensive to keep and mine is already old + I don't want to buy a new one.

Ubuntu in the blood. :shrug:

• Amoasei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love It run Creative Cloud in Linux. I Currently use Mac and Windows, but chance both for Ubuntu or other distro.

• Harry Chrisp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great.

Also Adobe advertises, and I quote, "Any camera. Any format. Any platform." but not Linux or Blackmagic raw.

• Near Maximus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, linux support along with case sensitive support for mac. Since linux file system is case sensitive.

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base