How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Yes, please support Linux. This would be a huge milestone. Thanks...

Thanks

10,471 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone,

first of all: thanks to all the people who joined in the last two days to vote and comment on this particular item. Please stick around and tell us what else you’d like to see implemented or improved moving forward.

If you were wondering why this post was offline for a couple of hours: it’s because of this quick surge in votes. It triggered a spam filter (and it took me a little while to figure out how to undo this without losing the comments).

Since several people posted in the meantime about Adobe not being interested in your feedback, let me assure you that this is about as far from the reality as it gets. We truly appreciate your candid feedback.

That said, a word of caution: while this item is now at the top due to a person with a good following on Twitter creating awareness, it doesn’t mean it immediately becomes our top priority. It’s been voted for since April, and never made it to the top 100 before this dramatic surge on Dec 11th.

And yet another word of caution in an attempt to set expectations correctly: while we’re gonna use this request as another trigger to redo market analysis for the need to port to linux, it’s been true for many years that the vast majority of our user base wouldn’t consider it as an alternative to currently supported platforms. Unless that has changed significantly, keeping the balance between dealing with other request versus adding another platform might not make it viable to add support for linux.

As I’ve worked for a company doing Win, MacOS and Linux prior to joining Adobe, I’ll add a bit of color to this request: doing Linux isn’t really about adding one OS, it’s at least several, if not many. Putting software that’s demanding on CPU, GPU and then some onto a linux system means developing and testing against several of the major flavours if you expect great results.
It’s also true that our large partner eco-system is mostly not on Linux today, so you’d be losing a ton of functionality outside the core application for years to come.

In a nutshell: this isn’t a simple thing to do – but we’re gonna take another hard look as to what’s the demand as I already mentioned above.

Stay tuned – and thanks again for coming to this forum to voice your ideas.

Patrick
Prinicpal Product Manager, Editing

2559 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matěj Kříž commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Past years we spent more time in Ubuntu then in Windows. We boot to Windows only for Creative Cloud Apps.
    Please make port of CC to Ubuntu.

• Samuel McCune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dan is exactly right. Student are using Chromebooks more and more. Soon, the students that grew up on Chromebooks will be going to high-school and then college. The time is ripe for Adobe CC for LInux.

• Dan Gross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wisconsin has pushed it's K12 schools toward Chromebooks and 1:1 programs. While Chrome based devices were previously inexpensive low end mobile devices, that is changing. Google is releasing higher end hardware, working with partners on Chromebox type devices, and companies like Cloudready to develop Chromium versions that run on full desktops. As Adobe brings Linux support to the Enterprise version and Cloudready can be installed on a high end workstation with fast CPU, GPU and plenty of RAM, the market saturation will be there almost overnight. Since my students are already carrying around 1:1 Chromebooks, it is the next logical step to convert my Photoshop and Premiere editing suites (and Autodesk) to Chromium. They can move seamlessly between their mobile devices and these high end workstations.

And if Education spends 17 years training students in this ecosystem, you will quickly find that your newest creative talent entering the workspace is already familiar with GIMP and Resolve and not willing to transition back into a "classic" workflow.

I didn't come here because of a tweet. I'm trying to find a path forward for my students.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Only Linux Mint 19.1 running on my desktop computer that I call My Video Editing Beast. It has and ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard, an Intel I7CPU, 64 GB RAM, 2 4GB Nvidia Graphics Cards, hooked by SLI cable and 4 2TB of Hard drive Space, I think more than surpasses what the Adobe Video Program needs to run, Or any of the Adobe Program require for minimum specs. the Only thing I will never have on the computer, is a Windows OS

• Brett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about porting photoshop to Ubuntu. Its got a huge range of people using it. I'm a web developer and would love Photoshop ported to linux.
    PLEASE ADOBE!!!!!

• Ihor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like Linux, just because there is no Adobe on Linux, I use Win and spit.

• Anthony Monk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I voted for that one, but as much as I love Linux, Premiere already has so many glitches and performance issues that I would rather they fix all those before going to Linux...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, hows the current backlash against Adobe products and the court case with Dolby treating you? Maybe time to start supporting a system people actually want to use and win back some much needed consumer trust?... its not looking very good for you right now is it?

• B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By the looks of it, Microsoft will be converting Linux too. Adobe should be ready (if they are not already). Microsoft is investing integration heavily in Linux, switching Edge to Chromium knock-off (UNBELIEVABLE!!). No wonder Windows 10 is the last version of Windows. The writing is on the wall. . . has been for some time now. With all the software developers modeling SAAS the OS has become irrelevant and Windows has toooo many issues, especially with updates, data loss, BSOD, ignoring the USER BASE, etc. Just think were Linux would be today if it had just 10% of the funding and developer support of Microsoft Windows. WinWhat??

• B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will be dumping Microsoft by end of 2019, hopefully we will not be dumping Adobe too.

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base