How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Yes, please support Linux. This would be a huge milestone. Thanks...

Thanks

10,644 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone,

first of all: thanks to all the people who joined in the last two days to vote and comment on this particular item. Please stick around and tell us what else you’d like to see implemented or improved moving forward.

If you were wondering why this post was offline for a couple of hours: it’s because of this quick surge in votes. It triggered a spam filter (and it took me a little while to figure out how to undo this without losing the comments).

Since several people posted in the meantime about Adobe not being interested in your feedback, let me assure you that this is about as far from the reality as it gets. We truly appreciate your candid feedback.

That said, a word of caution: while this item is now at the top due to a person with a good following on Twitter creating awareness, it doesn’t mean it immediately becomes our top priority. It’s been voted for since April, and never made it to the top 100 before this dramatic surge on Dec 11th.

And yet another word of caution in an attempt to set expectations correctly: while we’re gonna use this request as another trigger to redo market analysis for the need to port to linux, it’s been true for many years that the vast majority of our user base wouldn’t consider it as an alternative to currently supported platforms. Unless that has changed significantly, keeping the balance between dealing with other request versus adding another platform might not make it viable to add support for linux.

As I’ve worked for a company doing Win, MacOS and Linux prior to joining Adobe, I’ll add a bit of color to this request: doing Linux isn’t really about adding one OS, it’s at least several, if not many. Putting software that’s demanding on CPU, GPU and then some onto a linux system means developing and testing against several of the major flavours if you expect great results.
It’s also true that our large partner eco-system is mostly not on Linux today, so you’d be losing a ton of functionality outside the core application for years to come.

In a nutshell: this isn’t a simple thing to do – but we’re gonna take another hard look as to what’s the demand as I already mentioned above.

Stay tuned – and thanks again for coming to this forum to voice your ideas.

Patrick
Prinicpal Product Manager, Editing

2590 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of this post: 10,636 upvotes

10,636 x ($29.99 x 12 months) = $3,827,683.68 per year

Not worth your man power?

• jhonata rebouças commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Boa noite. Sou assinante do Photoshop e usuário do XD, porém tenho que ficar alternando entre os Sistemas Linux e o Windows apenas pelo pacote da adobe que uso para desenhar o layout.
    Fico muito chateado a limitação para o linux

• Doug Rohm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Per usual, they really don't want to hear customer feedback for features/requests. The response is overwhelming and they simply ignore it. Shame.

• jw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paying Creative Cloud user here. The only reason I still boot into Windows is to use Premiere or Lightroom. If someone launched a true competitor to either of these applications on Ubuntu, I'd happily pay for the service and learn the new platform, to completely ditch Windows. My hope is that Adobe will come to Ubuntu before this happens.

• Daniel Parkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could do at least a ubuntu version of adobe and then put it into a snap or use packaging systems like flatpack or appimage so you dont have to port it to other flavors.

• Valery Vinter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Многие пользователи перейдут на linux, навсегда забыв про windows, если Adobe выпустит свою продукцию для linux. Это многие тысячи пользователей.
    Многие вынуждены пользоваться windows только из-за отсутствия продукции Adobe для linux.

• Elektik Playz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need this on Linux. Allot of people would like to switch from windows to something else that has support for their favorite software.

• Joe Clay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's also ignoring the fact that if you use Adobe you HAVE to be on Windows or macOS. So yeah, obviously you don't see a need. But I'd say the fact that this is the most upvoted and commented thing on here kind of tells you that a lot of people would rather be using Linux.

• Mirek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"while we’re gonna use this request as another trigger to redo market analysis for the need to port to linux, it’s been true for many years that the vast majority of our user base wouldn’t consider it as an alternative to currently supported platforms"

Consider that there's also a large POTENTIAL user base to be gained by adding Linux support.

• Mirek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"In a nutshell: this isn’t a simple thing to do – but we’re gonna take another hard look as to what’s the demand as I already mentioned above."

I encourage you to take another look at the Linux packaging options. It's much easier to package Linux apps that work on multiple platforms nowadays, with Flatpak providing a much more stable technological basis than earlier methods of packaging. It's a write-once, run-on-any-Linux-distro type of deal.

• LABS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering Windows is going to switch to Linux kernel in the nearest future, Adobe will need to support it anyway.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Adobe! Add Linux Support for CC! I'm using Linux as my daily driver and it feels like I'm really missing out on something.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 129 130

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base