How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Don´t upgrade applications once a year - Same chaos every year

I think that the full upgrades are released to often. One .0-verison each year is too often and has proved to be a very problematic procedure each year. Pr CC 2018 was problematic when it was released fall 2017 but today it has received several patches and works fine today.

Approx three months after the last update to Pr CC 2018 it is time for the brand new full release of Pr CC 2019 and we are back to square one once again with crashes, sometimes it won´t even launch, new bugs, etc.

We don´t need a full version each year, it would be enough to have a full version alive for two to three years and during that time release patches to fix bugs and stability issues and maybe new featrures along that path. The applications are so mature today so there is no need for "exciting versions with revolutionary features" releases of not-ready-for-prime-time-software.

During the Creative Suite years each full version had to be really good, otherwise it wouldn´t sell as good and it got consequences if it did not sell as expected. This was good since the goal to release a good version was high. Today the money flows in to Adobe no matter what, so the goal to release a good stable version is not as important anymore and that certainly reflects what we see today, new versions that are not near ready for prime time. It dosen´t simply matter anymore since Adobe could always recommend user to downgrade.

I think all software companies do the same thing, release new versions too often and everytime there are issues in the new version that should have been sorted out in the beta stage. But it seems more important to release "something" than to wait until the software is ready and really release something good and usable out of the box.

No one demands brand new versions every year. No one demands new and exiting features that don´t work as expected at launch.

What people demand is stable software that has been thoroughly beta tested for a long time before release.

Bottom line:
Just don´t release new buggy versions each year since there are no need to do it. A new verison every two years is enough, if it has been thoroughly beta tested that is.

<end>

66 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Averdahl shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anthony Monk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, everytime I update mine, I end up with a different problem to solve...
    Ridiculous how instable it is for a professional software...

• Adira Kessler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think they release full upgrades twice a year. Mid-year and beginning of the year. With the full upgrades, you have to update your current projects because of the incompatibility of versions. If you have the 2019 version of premiere, you can't go back and forth from 2018 to 2019. Everything has to be created as a new project.

• Edward Pickart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CC18 has been stable for ONLY about 3 months now.
    CC19 .00, .01, &.03 throw us back into chaos, with brand new bugs and slowdowns to get in the way (and cost me and my clients $). This happens every friggn' year. Last year (cc18) it was render slowdowns and silent audio tracks. This time it's timecode and media re-link craziness. It's a running joke in my circle to avoid the first six months of an Adobe upgrade like the plague.
    PLEASE Slow your roll, Adobe. Get it right before you put it out.

• Averdahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that the default option in the Creative Cloud App is to auto-update it will be interesting to see all issues when the next .0-version is released, when the apps just update automatically for a large number of users.

• Dale C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree only except that we're paying every year for a subscription, so without yearly updates it gives us no benefit to constantly paying every year with no choice. If Adobe goes back to major updates every 3 years or so, it should offer a standalone option or do away with subscriptions altogether.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems the .0 releases are RC candidates where you have the users doing your beta testing. In the future I WILL avoid the .0 releases.

• Amir Zarif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Total nonsense - we understand you need to make money Adobe but the latest changes in CC packages/pricing and these money-grabbing & buggy updates are a far cry from the reasonable Adobe of yesteryears

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base