Caption Settings do not take unless you quit and restart.
Caption settings have been buggy for a while, but in Premiere Pro 2018 (v13.x) they don't even take unless you save your project, quit Premiere, and then start it again.
- macOS 10.14.1
- Open Premiere Pro CC
- Import a video (I'm working with MP4's)
- Import a caption file (I'm working with DFXP)
- Move both to the Timeline and match them up (audio to captions) as needed.
- In the Timeline, click on the captions
- Open the Captions panel
- Right click on the first caption and then Select All
- Enter your settings... my example: Align Center. Set Background opacity to 100%. Open position caption block = Bottom Center. (PremCCcaps_01.png)
If you look at the preview the captions are still in their default state (PremCCcaps_03.png).
If you do Export Media*, the settings still haven't taken (PremCCcaps_03.png).
If you save your project, quit Premiere Pro, then launch it again and open your project, the caption settings have taken (PremCCcaps_04.png).
*Note in Premier Pro2017, Export Media would show the captions with the proper settings but you'd still have to quit/relaunch Premiere for them to show up properly.
We have completely redesigned the captioning workflow in Premiere Pro version 15.0. You will see many dramatic workflow improvements. Please update to the latest version.
Learn all about the new captions workflow here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.html
Exact same issue, except even restarting doesn't help me anymore.