How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Let me edit during auto save

I constantly save my project. My project takes about 1 min to completely save. can you make it so that the save is a background task and I can continue editing without being stopped by saving.
FCPX and Avid both have this feature.

288 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Emilio Luis Roman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whats the status on this? Very annoying now in PP 2019, autosave often crashes when you are doing a task and it starts autosaving mid way

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The auto save only kicks in when you leave the application "at rest" for a certain amount of time, normally when you edit it will not interrupt you. The "alwasy" in save as FCPX or EVS clean edit is a nice thing on a stand alone, on network systems this is a nightmare and when you add a PAM or MAM system on it it's even worse.
    A background would be nice, i know Adobe i looking at this for multiple use, but i think its more easy to ask then to implement.certainly when adding graphics, dynamic linking, MOGRT files into the edit.
    Some stuff like render farm, proxy creating on render machine are already done by 3dparty company's.
    Bottem line : as in Avid and Adobe i accept that the auto save sometimes takes up a little bit of time. But even big projects where the project file is 500MB and larger it is ok, that mean it need to write a lot of stuff. So for me it's a nice to have.
    But what i do like is the reliability of the auto-save to be better and more consequent.

• Jim Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"the instant auto save is not possible for very large projects. and that post is about constantly auto-saving which will slow down project speed all together."

Both Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve have such an Instant Auto Save feature (called by different names). It works brilliantly, even on Hollywood feature film projects, and does NOT slow things down at all.

It's time for Adobe to add this to their entire lineup.

• Ced commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can you write info to save while at the same time change the info it is trying to write - save?

BTW FCPX does not have a save or auto save function. It is always in a state of saved.

• Michael Gyori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request, albeit understandable with Premiere's current state, is disturbing.
    1) Why should it be necessary to save your project every 5 minutes? Yes, because Premiere crashes so often, but the crashes should be fixed!!!!!, not the ability to edit while saving added.
    2) Why is saving in Premiere so slow? Saving should be extremely fast. Save efficiency is terrible right now. How many calculations and data is being parsed in order to save? This needs to change.

• Trevor Asquerthian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Avid doesn't save as a background task, sadly. It does have seperate files per bin, rather than one large file for the project, so the save is much quicker, and it has settings for the period of inactivity before auto-saving and then a period for forcing an autosave.

• Emilio Luis Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Andrew I didn't even think about timeline rendering!
    @Blake Alley I hope Adobe lets us know if it is possible and how long it would take to implement.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By and large, Adobe needs to embrace background processes way more. Autosave, rendering, creating proxy jobs, etc... all stop you from working and can take way more time than they should. Speed things up and let me work while they're doing it.

• Blake Alley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that auto-save should be a background operation. If that isn't possible, at least allow it to monitor what a user is doing and wait till there's nothing happening to auto-save!

• Emilio Luis Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dmitry Larionov I couldn't agree more.
    @Jim Simon that's not the same thing, the instant auto save is not possible for very large projects. and that post is about constantly auto-saving which will slow down project speed all together. I want them to make a side loaded program that runs independently so that even when PPR crashes you still have an opportunity to save. and when it auto saves the program doesn't force you to wait for PPR to finish saving.
    @Steven hopefully they will fix this in the next next update.

• Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more. Every day I think why can't Premiere Pro save in the background.

• Dmitry Larionov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! 100% I wonder why this one hasn't got tons of upvotes. It should.
    NLE never ever should interrupt user. When I'm in the middle of an acton, like dragging clips, trimming, changing control, etc, application should either do *background* save, or wait for me to complete the action and THEN auto-save.

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base