How can we improve Premiere Pro?

STOP DUPLICATE MEDIA FROM BEING IMPORTED

This has not been fixed even though Adobe has claimed to fix this.

I have the media in one master project. My assistant has a their shared project. I open a small sequence from that project and drag the media from it it into my main project. EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY HAVE ALL THE MEDIA, I STILL GET DUPLICATED MEDIA. And on top of that it creates a separate folder for each small clip of footage. Take a look at the attached screenshot.

This is horrible. Fix this asap please. What's the point of shared projects if we can't move media back and forth between them?

278 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So you guys have been working in this since 2016 -- what's your success rate at this point?

How many film projects will have to explode after a year of sharing edits with two editors? This duplicate media bug has almost been around since inception. Next time you want to come out with a 2020 update -- wait -- test your **** with a real editor on a large project - and see if it works before you take our money. stop the Full software updates with same bugs. should be illegal.

• Derek Sajbel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey folks, learned that if you command I or file>import and select "import selected sequences"
    check the "create folder for imported items" and uncheck "allow importing duplicate media". It's a better workflow that avoids this problem until media browser is capable of this as well.

• Ryan Schroeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adam B, Philip Owens - agreed, I can’t seem to sort out why it sometimes works & sometimes doesn’t.

I’ve triple checked that the media path is precisely the same across both projects and Premiere still creates duplicate media.

• Philip Owens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adam B - I've tried Media Browser and dynamic link many, many times, and I think maybe once it's worked without importing duplicates. Colleagues have reported the same level of unreliability. So maybe it works now and again, but it's definitely not a working solution.

• Adam B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forgive me if I"m getting this wrong but have you tried importing using media browser & dynamic link? We just used it between myself and assistants on a feature and worked (although sluggish) without any dupe media.

• Michael Gyori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I have to do to witness thisis open two projects and move one sequence over from one to the other. Media that is already in both projects is duplicated in the destination project in an identical directory structure... it doesn't even merge directories. I've given up keeping a nice project structure and just throw duplicates into the parent root directory. It makes a mess under the hood, but don't have time to correct this severe software deficiency.

Looking forward to a response from Adobe. Lots of duplicates with P2 footage.

You're looking for input, so we're giving it. I usually try to do media organization in PP exactly as on disk -it helps with media management on a large project. For example, I have a large Archival folder, growing every day. As I get a clearer picture of what a particular piece of media relates to, I move it into a newly named category folder in the Finder. Multiply this by hundreds of the same operations and things in PP get extremely confused(as do I - why, if I move a clip and its cfa and pek does PP not 'like' it in a new location?).

To deal with this should be as simple as deleting the entire Archival folder in PP and dragging the new Archival in, with all the media newly organized. But you can't do this as the media clips are deleted from your sequences when you delete the folder. Yes, you could go through one by one and re-locate them, but that is messy and time consuming. So the old folder just becomes yet another piece of garbage piling up in my zDELETE folder, waiting for the day when you fix this issue.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Reg Santo Tomas, just to give my input on what improvements to this workflow would look like:

I 100% agree with everything said by Philip, Michael, Brian, Alan, and everyone else below. I think the basics of what we're looking for is simple (in concept, maybe not execution!).

At the barest minimum as a temporary improvement, documentation on how Consolidate Duplicates works, what criteria it uses, would help us set up projects in a way that we can count on predictable results - fixable dupes or unfixable dupes. And something showing the results before or after using it.

A step up from that would be giving us some control over how Premiere should evaluate potential duplicates, as Alan mentioned. Whatever criteria is currently being used is leading to the vast majority of duplicates being missed, at least in my case. For example, if I know that all my media have unique names, I could enable that as a criteria for consolidation. I’m guessing that specific option alone would probably solve a lot of my problems.

In addition, duplicates should be prevented from being created in the first place. Even if it requires some user input, like a dialog that pops up to get confirmation when potential dupes are detected on import, it would be well worth it.

Like Philip, I'm editing a feature doc with a ton of footage, and a lot of back and forth of project files/sequences with second/assistant editors. Having hundreds (thousands?) of duplicate files and folders leads to pretty terrible downstream impacts. Ballooning project files becoming slow to open and laggy to work in. Master clip effects are useless because there are multiple master clips to track down. Searching through deep nests of duplicate bins with inconsistent contents. Etc. etc.

We've tested as many possible workflow options as we could think of to test what causes dupes and what doesn't, but haven't figured out any rhyme or reason to it (diff import options, shared project workflow, etc). File path differences makes sense as a possible cause, but identical media paths also generate dupes very often. Also, having multiple copies of media in use seems like a common enough circumstance that we need a fix for that use case anyway.

In fact I think multiple media mappings in general (as I believe it works in Team Projects) is a related fix that would be distinct but perhaps helpful (see my request here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/35956693-media-mapping-support-for-all-project-types).

Premiere’s duplicate problem is the only current bug/missing feature serious enough that it makes me consider jumping ship… It’s a nightmare right now.

Happy to provide any specific examples/logs/data/walkthroughs/conversation if it helps move a fix for this along!

>Luke Flegg commented · January 13, 2019 2:04 PM
    >
    >Edit > Consolidate duplicates.

And that's one of the issues with the current setup. There is no documentation for that command that I can find. I ran it, it did something because it beachballed. But I didn't know if I'd used the command correctly, and I didn't know when the beach ball stopped if it had done anything - I could certainly see no change. I saved the project as a new version, because I had no idea if it had done good things or bad things, and I still don't.

So, if it does anything, an official explanation please. And please- make it be MUCH more informative process to run.

Philip.... I feel your pain. Pasting a sequence from one project to another should take a few seconds AT MOST, and only for a massive sequence with 10's of thousands of clips. I have 15 minute sequences that take 30+ seconds to copy, and another 30 seconds to paste. I'm working on a computer that can do millions of calculations a second. Sequence data is a list of media files, with their in/out points, effect keyframes, and a bit of other information. What is Premiere doing for all this time? Is it having to poll all the actual media on the storage device for some information? Why? Shouldn't this be all cached in the 32gb of RAM I have? As a former programmer, I'm feeling that some major fundamental engineering decision was made that is handcuffing Premiere. I'm currently editing in slow motion in Premiere on sequences that are 15 minutes in length. Last night I had to spend 30 minutes tracking down a previous version of my project because using the ALT drag method to copy media, didn't copy, but moved it instead. Premiere is so lethargic, that I need to keep my mouse motionless for an additional second after moving clips or it will drag the selected clips out of the position I chose. I feel like I degraded my hardware to a Pentium 4, or that I'm using a graphics card from 10 years ago.

I think this also touches on the entire issue of sharing sequences in the first place. (Perhaps that should be a separate thread, but it's connected)

1) When I import a sequence from a partner editor's project (who is working on a cloned drive, same file structure etc), I do NOT expect to end up with ANY new project elements other than ONE sequence.

2) That is, of course, assuming there are no new media elements she added. If she did, then please add those media elements in a logical way - placing them within a folder (not scattering them around willy-nilly like at present), naming it logically, and nesting folders within if that's appropriate.

3) I also don't expect the import of a sequence to take so long! In FCP7, a sequence copy/pasted from one project to another was done in seconds. I just waited almost three mins for a simple, 2V 6A 20 min long sequence to be imported via Media Browser from an extremely small project - 218K.

4) As to existing projects that I need cleaned up because of the duplicate media problem, I'd like to be able to delete duplicate media clips in existing projects WITHOUT them disappearing from sequences. The default assumption should be that if they're being deleted, and are in a sequence, to search for a similarly named clip and point to that instead. This default should be modifiable per Brian's comment below, with an interactive window searching for and suggesting clips to consider instead of the one I'm deleting.

• Brian Davison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm curious how the 'remove duplicate' function works in the new update. My facility is gun-shy about upgrading because upgrades tend to cause headaches.

I'm totally with you about the duplicate named bins Michael.

In terms of what I'd like (since let's be honest, it's never going to be 100%) is a way to point at two or more clips or multicam sequences and tell Premeire that they are the same thing. At least that say I can manually remove duplicates fairly quickly.

Reg Santo Tomas..... What more info do you need? Improve this workflow? We all just want Premiere to find identical media and link it to that same media that is already listed in the project, rather than create new bins with that same media. If you want, we can set up a Teamviewer session with my project and I'm pretty sure we can create duplicate media in the project at will. I was last creating weird new bins just by copying and pasting media from one project to another. I could do it at will this way. And even if the media is new to the project it's pasted in, rather than placing new media in the same bin, it created identically named bins and placed the imported media in there, creating 140 bins of the same name with 2 files in each. This is a slightly different problem than what most are experiencing but shows how ignorant Premiere is with imports and media organization.

I just got over 100 duplicate bins for VFX shots in our film..... just by going back and forth with the project with the director. Sharing projects with people, even if they have identical media in an identical directory tree, or they don't have the media and it needs to be re-linked when the project comes back to me, makes the project a complete mess. Asset management is extremely important on large projects and Premiere just has no sense. It gets confused at every turn.

As Micah says below, just as critical as fixing this problem so it doesn't happen in the first place is to also implement a system to help those of us with countless 'zDELETE' folders filled with duplicate media in existing sequences that we can't delete. My project file would probably be half its current size if I could just get rid of those duplicate clips

Can i vote for this a thousand times!!!

Jesus. After editing with 5 editors remotely for two years my project now has a 'mess' bin.

I wish they would just fix it!!!

← Previous 1

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base