How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Losing render files

Just gonna start posting about this as often as I can until it's fixed. There's many many complaints about this in the forums. If you need more details on what the problem is, just read any of them.

A professional editing program should NOT be losing render files. Please fix it.

42 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than save project change to save as with new title then throw away original file!
    Re open in with new title this worked for me.

• Ryan Fritzsche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

encountering this problem too. Just took time to render an entire sequence, 1080p 23.98 fps ProRes HQ Max Render Quality and Max Bit Depth both checked. Running v13.1.2 (Build 9) on Mac 6,1 8-core D700 GPUs, OS 10.13.6. certain clips kept un-rendering for no reason while the project was open. Closed, quit premiere and re-opened immediately. virtually ALL render files for the entire sequence gone. huh???

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2019 and the issue is still here... I also have experienced this for years (been a user since Pr 2.0) and as everyone has said there's no one scenario that makes it happen all the time. I can render a project, close it, open it the next day and poof, rendered portions are gone. Aggravating and wastes a lot of time.

• PW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So terribly bored of this. Seems to have loaded all the renders except the two that were crashing my system. Those I managed to get rendered after multiple reboots (and rebuilds of my Documents/Adobe/PremierePro folder in OSX, CC2019, the least stable of all the PP releases yet!)

So why are those renders lost?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I'm actually asking, why?

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Andrew...you seem to well state the issue. In my instance, however, I am a Windows user, actually with Win 7, and it may be necessary to indicate that the problem is the same here. The discussion seems to identify the problem as LOOSING the render files. Is this, in fact, what is happening ? Are we maybe identifying the wrong mechanism by description, or do we perhaps have a MEMORY issue ? I only say that because we ask Premiere to SAVE what has been rendered, and after closure and re-launch, we find the saving process did not occur.....or at least in function sufficiently to recall the rendered files to the subject timeline. Some suggestions have mentioned re-assigning Memory attributes to MEMORY, in lieu of PERFORMANCE. I have tried that, but to no avail, but maybe that is insufficient because I only have 8G of RAM with which to deal. Don't know. But the point is well taken and Adobe definitely needs to offer a FIX. This is happening for me on a simple 10-min. timeline opener for a much longer 2-hr program yet to be edited, and I can't imagine having to re-render every time night-time shut down occurs.and the program is restarted just to not have to re-render again. Maybe just don't shut down ? CRAZY ! Oh yes.... most of my hand-held shots are being improved by the use of Warp Stabilizer, so that may be figuring largely in the problem. .

Why are we STILL LOSING RENDER FILES!!???! The drive never disconnected. All I did was save the project and close premiere for the night. Next morning, open the project and all renders are gone! DAMMIT. 30 minute show with 4K source files! 3 more hours!! ARGGH.. FIX THIS ADOBE!

• Christina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Experiencing the same issue. I lose render files and peak files when I exit or quit the program having to re-render/re-generate every time. I connect to a central server in which all my media cache and scratch disks are set to. I am on the latest update.

• Geoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that I have the same problem. It is completely reproducible.

1. Create a sequence (Seq-A) from a video clip (Apple ProRes 422)
    2. Add (and align) in an external audio file.
    3. Add audio processing to the external audio (not necessary to reproduce, but what I normally do)
    4. Create a new sequence (Seq-B) from Seq-A
    5. Select all in Seq-B (note, there are no audio waveforms in Seq-B)
    6. Select all in Seq-B and render audio (audio waveforms now appear - good!)
    7 Save the project and quit
    8. Reopen the project. No audio waveforms in Seq-B (bad!)

I constructed a test project using exactly the above steps (rather than making assumptions based on my working projects), I had the additional feature of a red line through the audio on Seq-B when I reopened the project.

I am using Premiere Pro version 13.03 (build 9) on a late 2015 Macbook Pro, OS 10.14.3.

My media cache is on my internal SSD, the project and media files are on an external HDD. Media cache files are set to delete only after 30 days. My scratch disks are all on the internal SSD under .../Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro 13.0/

I hope that this will help Adobe reproduce the issue.

• Brian Davison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, in a most recent test, RED files all lose their renders when I close and re-open premiere. Even if a RED file is sitting on V1, completely covered by a non-RED on V2, that render will be lost as well. Clips with effects on them often lose renders, but not as reliably as RED files. Cilps with text layers often lose renders as well.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seeing this is the only thread in which an admin has actually responded to this issue, I'll try replying here:

"If anyone on this thread has a step by step scenario by which they can reproduce this issue, it would be much appreciated."

That's just the thing... it's not a specific issue. Render files just disappear a lot for whatever reason. Usually it's because the program is closed (or crashes) and re-opened, and the render files are gone. Other times they just randomly disappear because something happened on the timeline. An entire sequence will unrender because you touch ONE clip in it. Warp stabilizer renders disappear if you even so much as shorten the clip (WHY? when nothing else about the clip has change? The remaining section of the clip is still the same. The render should stay on that part)... etc.. There's MANY ways that render files get lost... the problem remains the same: Rendering files getting lost.

We shouldn't have to explain the technical details to you of why this is happening. If you just so much as used your own program once in a while, I guarantee it would happen to you and you'd know what we're talking about. Beyond that... it's for you guys to figure out. If we say render files are getting lost, you should be able to figure out why. It's your product. It's your programmers creating the issue. You're the ones that need to figure out what's going on and fix it.

I don't care what that involves. JUST FIX IT!!!!!!

STILL NOT FIXED! I'M POSTING EVERYWHERE I CAN ABOUT THIS TO GET YOUR ATTENTION!!!! PRIORITIZE IT! IT'S THE BIGGEST ISSUE WITH YOUR SOFTWARE!!! IT'S BEEN THIS WAY FOR YEARS! STILL NOT FIXED!

FIX IT!!!!!!!

I'm not sure there is a step by step scenario Reg, it seems essentially random. Sometimes you open a project and and bunch of audio is no longer playing. Often you have the waveforms and even audio registering in the meters, but 1 or 2 or 3 audio tracks of a clip will have disconnected, seemingly with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes relinking the media will fix it, sometimes altering the source file (adding a colour tag for instance) will fix it, sometimes clearing the media cache will fix it (although that usually breaks a bunch of other things), and sometimes nothing will fix it.

We've had so many problems with this across multiple editors and multiple machines. Never mind, only 5 weeks till we picture lock and I can return to Avid.

• AdminReg Santo Tomas (Software Engineer, Adobe DVA) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several threads on multiple forums but they aren't always indicative of the same problem. What would be useful here are specific steps and information to reproduce the bug per Annika's request:

If anyone on this thread has a step by step scenario by which they can reproduce this issue, it would be much appreciated.

I'm doing subtitles for a foreign language short. Pure nightmare. Tweak one title and the whole layer goes unrendered. That AND the fact that the subtitle layer IS NOT frame accurate - open the project up and things have shifted. Some are out a frame while others have not moved at all. Going to FCP for final titles after coloring. yeesh.

• Henry McLaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. As I often say, CC could be a dream, but so often it's a nightmare because of Premiere Pro. Indeed, After Effects on the whole is terrific. It's saved so many "unusable" shots for me and allowed me to create many shots that were impossible for technical or financial reasons. Wish PP was of the same standard.

Yes, it's frustrating, because the Adobe Creative Cloud suite COULD be the absolute best package out there. There's so much going for it. After Effects is a strong program, Photoshop is the leader in photo editing, the suite's basic design and layout is great... it's just these **** glitches and lack of polish when it comes to Premiere in particular, as well as how the programs interact with each other (could be much smoother).

I don't know if Adobe needs to hire more people for their bug-squashing department, or if they need some kind of Steve Jobs type of person in there to lead things better. I don't know, but with so much going for the Adobe suite, they really should figure out these problems, because if they can solve them... Adobe would be the undoubted industry leader in my mind. It's like an athlete that COULD be the fastest runner alive... if only they didn't keep tripping over tiny stones.

• Henry McLaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I empathize with you Andrew. I'm working on an 86 minute long feature film. Every time I have to re-render I'd be as well shutting up shop for the day. Between this and the constant audio problems we all must be driven to distraction. No company would get away with selling hardware as unreliable as this. Why do they think it acceptable when it's software?

I was actually doing a same day edit yesterday, and this problem reared its ugly again yet again. Premiere froze a couple times, and I had to close and reopen the program. Both times, that meant losing ALL the render files. Had to waste time re-rendering again, which took about 10-15 minutes each time. BIG waste of time on a same day edit with a time crunch.

I also noticed another instance of losing render files, which is when you transfer a project to another computer... the render files aint surviving the transfer. I started the project on a desktop computer, and then had to transfer over to a laptop for on-the-go editing. When I open the project on the laptop, I can reconnect all the media files... but the render files don’t connect. I go to the video previews folder... they’re all there. The program just isn’t connecting them, and there’s no way for me to tell it to. There’s no “Link Render Files” option. The files are all still there in the correct folder, but the program has just forgotten them. Once again, I had to waste time re-rendering.

← Previous 1

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base