How can we improve Premiere Pro?

STOP SWITCHING TO THE NEXT CLIP WHEN I'M TRYING TO MANIPULATE KEYFRAMES

This is super annoying. I create a keyframe, let's say a motion keyframe. Set it to 50. Then create another one, set it to 100 and put it at the end of the clip. Then I scroll to the second keyframe and suddenly, Premiere has switched me to the next clip in the timeline for some reason. This is so annoying. Even moreso when I'm using my mouse to move the scrubber around, sometimes it juts me all the way to the end of the timeline. I can't imagine a scenario where I would want this behavior.

325 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel DeStefano shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Monte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my two cents: This problem could be solved by handling keyframe snapping the way After Effects handles it. In AE if you shift-drag a keyframe towards the end of the clip, it snaps to the start of the last frame, but if you shift-drag passed the end of the clip, it snaps to the end of the clip. Something like "Snap to start of last frame of clip" could be a checkbox in Premiere Pro's preferences.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can be solved easily but just making "Selection follows playhead" a manual function.

• Matt Lyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also suggest implementing an "add start and end keyframe for selected parameter" feature. This is one of the handiest command in Avid Media Composer's effects editor, imho.

• MJV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well said, Andrew. I second those two suggestions.

I would also like to add a solution with precedent in existing premiere behaviors: Premiere may intuitively know when we would or would not want the selection to follow the playhead if we have the effects window selected. The precedent is: you cannot export media if the effects window is selected; you must first select the timeline to export. Therefore Premiere could recognize when we are in the effects control window [selection DOES NOT follow playhead] and when we are in the Timeline [DO follow playhead] scrubbing for colour / audio corrections.

Finally, as a half-baked solution, I would welcome a great big check box for 'selection follows playhead' in my effects panel.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Commenting again since this has more attention. Please:

1. Add some padding to the keyframe window - 5% either side of the in/out point so that we can easily grab keyframes at the end or just outside the clip boundaries.

2. When resizing the keyframe view vertically, it resets when deselecting and reselecting the clip. Please make the vertical size stay with the clip or global.

• Daniel DeStefano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i turned off pin to clip and was instantly in love with it. And then the moment that I left the bounds of the clip, the playhead jumped from clip to clip until I was at the end of the sequence. USELESS! Does anyone test this ****?

• Matt Lyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't solve everyone's issue, but wrt HKNYFilms' comment, if you select the dropdown menu on the Effect Controls tab and unselect "Pin To Clip" you are then able to zoom and pan the keyframe display beyond the bounds of the selected clip. This makes it easier to grab and move keyframes at the start and end of the clip.

• Pierre Louis Beranek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes!!! The last frame should ABSOLUTELY be in better view of the ECW so that keyframes on the last frame are easier to grab, as HKNYFilms suggests!!!

THIS is the sort of stuff Adobe should fix ASAP since it's the sort of thing that affects an intermediate to advanced editor's workflow on a daily basis!

• HKNYFilms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add this, it's very frustrating. Also, being able to see the edges of the clips in the keyframe timeline would be useful. The first and last frame are always at the edges and not particularly easy to grab

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes--scrubbing within the effect editor should never pop you into the adjacent clip. It's maddening.

• TaranVH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ah, I see. This can happen when clips are directly next to each other on the same layer, and "selection follows playhead" is on. It does NOT even require that you use the DOWN key to go to the next edit point. It will happen even if you are just moving the playhead within the Effect Controls panel
    Yes, that is annoying. I've never encountered it, probably because I barely use "selection follows playhead" feature.

One issue with the way that Premiere handles the Effect Controls panel, is that it allows you to place a keyframe one frame BEYOND the actual end of the clip (this is when "pin to clip" is on.) This, to me, seems like a really bad idea, or just an oversight.

I believe that fixing it should solve this, and several other issues.

• Pierre Louis Beranek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Fran Roig,

That info does NOT help because...

While it does solve the problem, many users, myself included, want 'Selection Follows Playhead' enabled, since it makes it so much easier to colour correct clips in the timeline, among other reasons.

So are we expected then to turn off 'Selection Follows Playhead' every... single... time... we want to use the Effects Control Window (ECW) and have it behave properly?!!!

Adobe forcing use to constantly turn 'Selection Follows Playhead' on/off is NOT a reasonable work around by any measure! The only reasonable thing for Adobe to do is fix this PITA mistakes once and for all. Period.

Sorry for my brutal honesty, but the very fact that such a lame work around as yours is made in the first place only goes to further our impression that Adobe programmers clueless since they do not even use their own software on a daily basis. If they did, issues like this one would have been fixed ages ago!

Now please pass this message on to the head of the PP team. THAT would be helpful!

• Fran Roig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like you have Selection Follows Playhead enabled.You can turn it off by going to Sequence in the top bar menu. Let me know if that helped.

← Previous 1

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base