How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Auto keyframe should be OFF! By default it should be off!

The autokeyframe by default on things loke opacity has been a source of many a frustrations for me.

I set an opacity value. Then later I change it. Play it back and I wonder why it isn't set where I wanted. So I open it up an goddammit the autokeyframe was on by default so to get rid of it I push the stop watch and that warning is thrown right at my face. I never wanted the keyframes in the first place so why did you assume I would, adobe?!

This problem would not be nearly as aggravating if the behavior of keyframes was consistent. Not like now, when autokeyframe is on by default for some values but not others. Pick one and stick to it.

339 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan Malmsten shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • PersonWhoEditsEveryDay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Clicking that ******* button 10 times a day makes me so angry. I'm having anxiety just thinking about it. No understanding of why it's like this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I teach an intro to Premiere class and this is something that screws my students up EVERY. FREAKING. TIME. For those that have never touched a NLE in their life, this is a 'feature' that kills them and their productivity on a regular basis.

DO AWAY WITH THIS NONSENSE!

• KS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GET THIS SORTED ADOBE! This is driving me crazy every time editing.

The way I do it right now:

- Turn off the stopwatch for one clip.
    - Copy the clip.
    - Select all clips on the timeline.
    - Paste attributes.

That's really annoying, please just get rid of this auto keyframing thing already.

• BK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please for the love of all that is holy make this a feature. Why would you ever have it set to automatic keyframe when you're looping audio. It doesn't make sense, the whole point is you're often trying to find the sweet spot for the effect you're applying, not keyframe it. WHY oh why do we have to spend hours on stupid issues like this in Premiere, it's ridiculous

• TaranVH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While you guys are at it...
    I believe I've found all the parameters that are currently auto-keyframed.
    In the preferences panel, I'd make it look something like this:

AUTO-KEYFRAME DEFAULTS
    VIDEO
    ☐ Opacity
    ☑ Speed

AUDIO
    ☑ Bypass
    ☐ Level
    ☐ Pan

Fun fact, I actually have no idea what "bypass" is.

• Alex Valtchev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES YES YES, really?!?! DO NOT force users on set preferences, give us options! SOme like it ON, most like it OFF. Set it OFF by default and make an option in preferences to be ON by default. Make EVERYONE happy :)

• TaranVH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@DavidK Please note that "Speed" and (audio)"Balance" are also on by default. There MIGHT be others that I don't remember.

Now, some people might like having these on by default, so perhaps there should be a checkbox for each of them in the Preferences panel (with them OFF by default.)
    "Speed," in particular, might be one that is better to be ON by default, (IDK, I don't use it much) but it would be good to have it as an option.

• AdminDavidK (Experience Designer, Adobe DVA) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a hangover from the past when users couldn't add keyframes to the clip keyframe rubberbands unless Toggle Animation was on in the ECP. Since these 3 intrinsics were the default effects for the clip rubberbands, animation was toggled on for them. Today you can add a keyframe using either the Selection tool (Ctrl/Cmd+click) or the Pen tool (just click) and animation is toggled on automatically, so there's no longer a need to have animation on by default. Thanks for the feedback and for bringing it to our attention!

• Patrick Norman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. This is such an annoying issue. Please just make this something I can set in preferences. There are certain projects that benefit from this, and others where it's just frustrating to have to deal with. Give us the option.

Chiming in here also. Please... PLEASE... at least make it an option that can switched off in preferences. I've lost countless hours to mysterious key-frames popping up where they are not wanted.

• Darren Manden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Jonah Lee Walker

Absolutely! I know how to make a keyframe. If I want to make one, I'll make one.

Normally I'm all for making something a preference option, but this is one of those weird times where I have to ask: Is it really worth spending the time adding a preference option for this?

I don't know. The auto-keyframing for opacity being on just strikes me as weird right from the word go.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup, for me I need keyframed opacity 10% of situations an un-keyframed 90%. Default setting should be the most common behavior

• Rafael Guetta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. Why would the developer place a sneaky keyframe that is never useful. I've been to 2 adobe conferences already where speakers showed us workarounds to removing the keyframe from the opacity of multiple clips. Those are not perfect and this "feature" should be removed.

• David Henderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - this is a really annoying and inconstant default behaviour!
    I wonder if it's an inherited quirk from the 'rubber banding' of opacity values in the timeline?

• Darren Manden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe that should just be the default starting point: Auto-keyframing off. Across the board.

*Tries to think of a place where default auto-keyframing wouldn't be frustrating. Fails.*

Yup, across the board.

← Previous 1

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base