Please DO NOT eliminate the Legacy Title creator in future updates.
Adobe tends to update with only the highly skilled pro in mind. But there are many advanced amateurs like me who DO NOT want to lose Legacy Title creator.
James could you please procure clarification of the "Under Review" status of this request?
Here is a list of features missing in the new Title Maker:
- Small Caps Size
- More shapes than Rectangle and Ellipse
- Pen tools
Thanks for catching this, John. You are correct, we are trying to keep all the 'don't get rid of the old titler' topics in one place so all the votes and comments can count as one. I will merge it.
My idea was merged into this one, nothing but feature parity is acceptable for long term compatibility!
Kevin Monahan commented
All kinds of reasons why people don't use Legacy Titles. You never mentioned yours. What's your issue with Legacy Titles and why haven't you switched to the new title? Curious.
John Graves commented
On the Users forum there are 23 pages of complaints from editors who either do not find Essential Graphics to be useful and/or have ongoing projects with titles from the "Legacy" app. I lost several hours of billable time when I had to research the problem of a timeline locking up due to the use of a "legacy" title and had to roll back to previous version of Premiere. You folks really should read what real editors experience. Shame on you. https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/a-low-level-exception-occured-in-adobe-player-player-5/m-p/11126223?page=23#M270476
ALL features from the "Legacy" Title Maker that we all know and love should be incorporated into the currently supported Title Maker. Titles made in the "Legacy" Title Maker should be editable in the new Title Maker and should be supported indefinitely.
Google translate has a 3900 character limit, but I ran what I could through it. I think this is a request for the Legacy Titler to not go away, or for Graphics to have additional telop features added in order to bridge that gap. At least that's what the first several paragraphs seem to indicate. I'm migrating this to the existing request for not eliminating the Legacy titler so that all the votes and comments will count in one place.
Visual Feast commented
The same way you delete any asset in Premiere, select and hit delete.
How does one delete a legacy title?
I think it was mostly a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of feature. Pls keep
Pierre Louis Beranek commented
I also use bins with the Legacy Titler to organize them for future use within big, ongoing projects that sometimes require hundreds of titles. Please do NOT get rid of the legacy titler! Instead, FIX IT! The Kerning bug, for example, is very annoying. If you type new characters in any title, the Kerning value that's applied to the new characters is 0 rather than respecting the title's current Kerning value.
Rick Adams commented
Do you use a lot of Bins with Legacy Title (LT) items in the project panel as a significant part of your workflow?
Yes I do.
The legacy title tool offers more text, shape, and shadow options. It's easier to use, and more powerful. And back when I could save titles and open them in other projects, it was easy to standardize titles across projects.
Colin Hazard commented
I'm a big fan of the Legacy Title Tool's new title from existing title button. Every once and a while I have to generate dozens of titles. I can't think of a faster way to create dozens of titles in one sitting than that button. First, I build all the titles. Then I place them. Very efficient. I would miss that feature very much. I do like the essential graphics titles though. They are developing nicely.
Yes we need to keep this feature. Its great as we use MANY titles in the 1 project and need them all in the bin to keep them organised and duplicate them as we use the same layout just different text. It is one of the most important aspects when we are editing a project.
Fun fact... the Adobe guys didn't program the "legacy" titler. They bought the code from someone else. That's why it's packed with so many features, and has so many integrated shortcuts.
I'm just glad that other people are as upset at its potential deletion as I am.
Visual Feast commented
Once the new titler has *all* the functionality & quality of the legacy one, then it might be fine. But right now, many things are missing in the new one. Maybe some of these things have been addressed already, since I haven't touched the new stuff and am still on CC2018.
- Can't nudge text or graphics around pixel-by-pixel with the arrow keys and shift+arrow keys like you can in Legacy (and these keys are assignable in the Keyboard Shortcuts for Legacy).
- Needs all the keyboard shortcuts of Legacy
- The new titles are not as sharp as Legacy and the anti-aliasing is not as good. https://prnt.sc/kfwqhm
- Legacy tool creates a reference in the project bin and alt+dragging on timeline copies and creates a new copy in the project bin. Perfect for diverse workflows.
- Path Type Tool? Rounded rectangles? Holding down shift to draw perfect horiz/vert/45 degree lines? Line cap type? Join type? Miter Limit? Distortion?
- Fill types (4-color Gradient, Bevel, Eliminate, Ghost)? Sheen? Texture?
- Proper fills and shadows on open Pen shapes? (Legacy does it correct; new tool closes the shadow on open Beziers: https://prntscr.com/kfwp4n)
- Inner and outer strokes?
- Create the perfect style (drop-shadow, fill, o̶u̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶o̶k̶e̶ (oops not possible in new tool)) on a bezier shape in new tool and want to put it on some text? Nope. In Legacy, just save it as a style and apply to anything.
Speaking of Beziers... legacy allows you to quickly convert lines from open bezier to closed or filled. New tool-- once closed, cannot be made an open bezier again. Legacy-- double-clicking a bezier goes into edit mode. New tool you have to manually switch to the pen first.
Last, legacy works well with older and shared projects. New tool... often get errors and incompatibilities.
Some User commented
Hello there, I finally got time to do this.
Let's compare my workflows of the most simple edit I have to do every week. One is in CC2018, one is in CC2016. (I don't have the latter one cause it seems you can't get it now through the Creative Cloud which is honestly annoying)
What I want to do:
1. Import an mp4 file.
2. Put text on it.
3. Put different text on another frame of the clip.
4. Copy the same text and paste it on a third frame of the same clip so that the latter ones display the same text.
In CC2018: https://youtu.be/1UNHaiLT_Pg
As you can see, there are a few problems.
1. I can't use presets easily. I need to make a new text field, delete the actual text from it, then apply an effects preset on it.
1.1. It's much SLOWER than in CC2016 where you could press Ctrl+T, "use preset" and then just select a preset and you're done.
1.2. And you have to save text presets in your effects presets which get messy very fast.
2. If you want to have the same text on two different parts of your project, you have to link specifically the texts you want to have linked. In my video example I have 3 different pieces of text which are not in sync with each other. That's bad.
So in CC2016 the workflow would be:
2. Click on button "Use preset". (which got REMOVED COMPLETELY even from the LEGACY TITLER since CC2017, see here: http://snap.ashampoo.com/uploads/2018-12-12/SQDPPyhzg2S4WD53DBLIJyvyEf9imJda2GPL0WFgSYCk60GBbskllAEqFDYsN4SJ.png)
3. Edit text.
4. Close (now legacy) titler.
5. Drag the text whereever you want it to be.
If you want an unlinked copy, you doubleclick the text and use "create copy with current preset" or however the button is called.
If you want a linked copy, you just drag the text from your workspace on another spot of the project, now you have two linked texts (if you edit one, the other one will change).
As you can see, my whole workflow is basically broken since CC2017. Please bring back my good old presets in the legacy titler (the "official" workaround presented to me by Adobe is annoying, too) and woe you delete the legacy titler completely!
R. Neil Haugen commented
James et al on the develpment team:
There is a HUGE production difference between the Legacy Titler and the EGP for production work making large numbers of quick titles, due to the sheer massive number of keyboard shortcuts available for the Titler ... and the almost complete lack of key-shorts for the EGP.
For the Titler, you can change font size, adjust kerning/leading and such, nudge text/graphics, select or change tools ... the list of keyboard shortcuts has thirty-eight (38!) items.
The list for the EGP?
There are nine (9) things in the Graphics section, such useful things as "upgrade to master graphic", and you can use a few other graphic or text controls you find around the shorts list but you can't change text/font size!
You can set an "increase Kerning 5 units" k-short, but ... it only works after you click on the spot you want to change kerning AND click on the Kerning icon on either the EGP or the ECP or in the number-adjustment area ... and it changes by 50 units!
There are very few useful things that can be done for EGP/mogrt graphics with the keyboard, and the ones that are ... by the time you "invoke" them, it's faster to use a mouse and number-pad.
This is one of the key areas you must improve the usability of the EGP before it can fully replace the old Titler.