How can we improve Premiere Pro?

reveal in timeline

It'd be nice to have a feature just like the 'reveal in project' and 'reveal in finder' but 'reveal in timeline'. For example if you want to modify a clip but do not want to search it in your timeline.

93 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Beatrice shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pierre Louis Beranek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had no idea that CTRL-clicking the number under video usage reveals the Timeline usage for media! Thank you Sam for pointing that out!

It used to always work by just clicking on the number. Now it barely ever works anymore. Adobe, please fix this! It should work just by clicking on the number. Most users will never know they have to CTRL-click it now for it to work reliably. This is stupid and should be fixed ASAP!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It exists, but often doesn't seem to work. I used to use it a lot to double check that a particular clip or scene was in a sequence by loading it into the source monitor and then "reverse matching"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was aware of the video usage method, but not the reverse match frame option Matt mentioned. I think the ideal way would be: right-click a clip in the project > reveal in sequence > list of instances appear and you click the sequence it appears in and the playhead snaps to the timecode it starts at. Simple and a game changer.

• Sam Pareti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Morgan In 12.1.1, if you hold CMD or CTRL and click on the number under video usage, it should pull up the menu of sequences the asset presides in!

• Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find the video usage drop down menu no longer works for this function, it's certainly broken on my version 12.1.1.

• Ariel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You already have this option by adding the "video usage" and "Audio usage" tabs in the project window.
    you can see how many time a clip is used and with right click you have the option to see all the usages in all the timelines in the project.
    Good Luck!

• eikonoklastes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Project panel, if you enable "Preview Area", you get a little Clip Usage drop-down that you can use to locate the clip across various timelines.

This is a pretty handy feature and could be made more discoverable.

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can also do this by going into the Metadata Settings in your Project Panel and enabling the metadata column for Video and Audio usage. This will let you see how many times a clip is used and where, and even go directly to that spot by clicking the dropdown and then the location.

They did break this feature in the latest update so if you are on 2018.1 you just need to make sure nothing is selected in your project panel before using the Video or Audio usage dropdown.

• ADOBE STAFF: Matt Christensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the input Beatrice. You can do something similar already in Premiere using the Reverse Match Frame feature.

Load a clip into your Source Monitor and choose Sequence > Reverse Match Frame from the Menu Bar. If the frame your Source Monitor is parked on exists in the Timeline, it will jump the Timeline playhead to that frame.

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base