How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Remove proxies

An option to remove proxies from clips. Otherwise the only choice is to delete the proxies, but then the program is constantly bugging you for them when you relaunch. I'm having an issue where I replaced proxy files with new transcodes, but the system still shows them at the wrong size in the timeline (match framing shows them as they should be). I'd love to be able to simply delete the originals and start over, but it isn't possible.

56 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dannette Mehalik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andy Engelkemier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of those examples of things we shouldn't even have to vote on. It's one of those, "Oh, yeah, that was a dumb mistake." So you just kind of fix it without bringing attention to yourself.
    Next time your manager says, "Hey, we need that newest version of the experimental feature we want to show to stakeholders" You say, "The people who actually use the software will be more excited if I add these basic features that Should have been here for years, so I'm going to do that with Full support of the community. You tell the stakeholders that."

• Scott Lunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same problem for me - I need to unlink the proxies to send the project out for color grade. No way to do it - we're talking 600 plus files in several different locations - meaning that the media manager/consolidate feature is severely handicapped since it simply copies all of the files (Proxies included) to the archive folder. Now I don't know which ones are which!! ugh

• Greg DiGenti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm dumbfounded that this isn't already available. Do you and the After Effects team never talk? You should.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this!!! Any update???

I'm having a problem where I want to send a consolidated/transcoded sequence to the grade and only want the full res media. Surely this is the whole point of a proxy workflow?
    There needs to be a 'detach proxy' button underneath where there is an 'attach proxy' option on master clips.
    In addition, in project manager when consolidating/copying media, there should be an option to ignore proxies. The whole point of a media managed project/sequence is to save space/time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE Add this feature. It's really really annoying that there isn't one. I'm experiencing an issue where my proxies are not set to the same frame rate as my clips and I keep getting the diagonal lines on the proxies. I simply would like to remove them but have to jump through hoops to do so...

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is needed bad. Since deleting and offlining the proxies, Project Manager STILL gives me the error that "...proxy.mov" was not copied. We need a way to detach them, and it should be in the project manage as on option - "Include Proxies yes/no"

• Faks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same remark here! Please add a feature to unlink proxies when the project is complete and ready to be archived. Thanks.

• AndyL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is essential. The worst part is that PPro sometime glitches and links to the wrong proxy or (weirdly) just shows a still frame. If this happens there is no way to fix it. If you delete proxies and create new ones the problem is still there.

We need a disconnect function.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In long form projects, proxies can take up an ENORMOUS amount of space. Once a project is complete, and ready for long term / archival storage, it would be great to be able to delete proxies quickly and efficiently.

• CW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For archiving/sharing purposes, it is also insanely problematic for the program to be searching for proxies that are no longer relevant.

HOW is it so easy to include an "Attach Proxies" function, but not to simply break that link? I have tried endless times to delete my proxy files on the Finder level, then selecting to "Offline All" when reopening my project (or a new version of the project), and it *never* recognizes that the proxies have been removed.

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base