Poor Performance in Premiere Pro CC 2018 (12.1 and 12.1.1) with ProRes footage
The short of it is that with the 12.1.0 and 12.1.1 versions of Premiere Pro, I'm seeing up to 35% longer export times and up to twice as many dropped frames during live playback with ProRes 422 HQ and 4444 footage compared to version 12.0.1. As far as troubleshooting, here are the steps I have already gone through:
1) Reinstalled Premiere Pro
2) Reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (and Premiere Pro again)
3) Reset Premiere Pro preferences
4) Created fresh .prproj files
5) Tried older GPU drivers (397.31, 390.77, and 388.71)
6) Tried both a GTX 1080 Ti and a Titan V
7) Tried both a Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7 board and a Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
8) Tried original release BIOS and latest available BIOS on both boards
9) Tried Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 in both Legacy and Native mode
10) Disabled Intel Meltdown/Spectre fixes
11) Multiple storage drives including a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB and Samsung 860 Pro 1TB
Testing has been mostly with the Intel Core i9 7940X and 128GB of RAM. So far, the only thing I have found that resolves the performance issue is to roll back to version 12.0.1.
Still not addressed on the latest version. SMH.
I can attest that the version 11.0 premiere pro plays back ProRes4444 footage with no issues, but the last two major releases the playback has actually gotten WORSE. Oy.
I can attest that ProRes444 performance is really bad on PC. I can open and play the files like butter with color in Resolve and other software but CC2019 still chokes badly on ProRes4444 files. One thing I have noticed is on the mac it subsamples the chroma to 422 to get smooth playback but on PC its trying to read 4444 8u and that is the only difference I can see. Like I said it plays very well in resolve, these are 3.2k files I'm talking about. 4k Sony XAVC footage plays back way smoother and it is a compressed file. Overall I've not been impressed with the playback from Premiere as of late and have started to edit projects in resolve. The promise of "just drop anything in the timeline and play" has started to fall apart.
Anders Myrdahl commented
Is that the reason?! I'm shocked that exporting 20s of 4k h24 + red files takes 4 hours!? CPU usage is max 20% (i9 7940x) and my 1080 Ti 0-1% with CUDA enabled.. What is going on Adobe? The computer at my work which runs i7 and 980 is 3 times faster.