How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Warp stabilizer

Warp Stabilizer needs to be able to automatically adjust to different resolution footage inside of the same timeline. I waste an obscene amount of time manually nesting footage, going into that comp, resizing the nested sequence to match the clip, and then applying warp stabilizer, and then going back to my original timeline, and then scaling the nested sequence to this sequence size. Its a massive hassle and waste of time. Build a feature that allows it to do all of that automatically in the effect panel.

495 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert DelTour shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What you’re suggesting would lead to a full on revision of the feature – therefore I’d like to ask a couple of additional questions:
what kind of footage do you usually try to stabilize with the Warp Stabilizer? And how much tweaking of the settings do you do on average?

Thanks
Patrick

60 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andrew Geraci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

8k footage to 4k or 4k to 1080p - this should be an automatic macro function so we don't have to create nests.

• Anthony Monk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if we could apply the effects of a warp analyzer to several clips, I'm working with several layers of the same clip with various effects and masking on top of each other anw would like to be apply to apply the same stabilisation to all of them.

• Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

4K Footage in 1080p, it really is a very frustrating workflow.

• Robomatic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our clients always ask for cutdowns of 16:9 promos. Going to 4:5 or 9:16 vertical formats.
    Agree with OP, it is a hassle to always have to nest clips.

• Ivan Ivanov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The majority of my projects have slow-mo b-roll. Needless to say that the warp stabilizer is most needed on b-roll which always has a speed adjustment. When I'm done with a project, my whole sequence is basically a bunch of nests. It becomes impossible to work with it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I often works with UHD footage in a 1080p sequence. Also with speed adjustments. This nesting seems like a workaround and clients sometimes wonder what I am doing.

• David S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not really a fully implemented feature until it can work on different media clips in the same timeline. It's the only effect I know that can't. Adobe advertises PR as being able to have different resolution etc in the same timeline, yet it really can't.

• Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

4K footage (24fps footage or 60fps footage slowed down with the speed/duration tool), 1080p 24fps timeline.
    I typically adjust Smooth v. No Motion and Smoothness %, and leave the rest alone - Method on Subspace Warp and Framing on Stabilize, Crop, Auto-scale. When I remember to I turn on Detailed Analysis.
    Dealing with all the nests is a pain, especially if I want to use a slip tool etc on the underlying clip but am unable to. Would be huge to get a fix for this!

• Darren Manden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Michael Gyori - Absolutely agreed that the footage and sequence resolution shouldn't have to be identical. Currently it's a massive pain with the nesting, and is way more of a chore than it needs to be.

• Michael Gyori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us its lately been 5k 2:1 on a 2k timeline, but that changes if the DP needed a wider angle for a shot and the footage is 6k 2:1. I don't think it's safe to assume any consistent requirement.... just that sequence resolution and media resolution should not have to be identical! This limitation is a huge waste of productivity, and adds complexity to the media organization, which on large projects is already painful in Premiere with the 'duplication of media bug(s)' when sharing projects with other editors.

• Jonah Lee Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am usually stabilizing 4k footage in a 1080 timeline, and usually do some tweaking. I would have converted the footage to ProRES HQ.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for asking this. It has bugged me for years, and always thought it was too crazy to post about. But now after I saw your request, it doesn't seem that crazy... should be quite simple really.

• PhixEdit1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not just not nesting but with time remapping and size adjustments. Seems AE is starting to get there with MOCHA plugin. Maybe they are going to roll that in prem' as a plugin too. We have to stab shots on offline's as well as onlines pre and post grade and FX so baking out shots can be hugely problematic. 'Best Prectice for one is a project bug for another. - just saying Ced.

• Ced commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

best practice is after stab, export with setting enabled "Import into Project" Edit with newly created media.

← Previous 1 3

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base