How can we improve Premiere Pro?

Fix the Default audio output for iMac Pro

On my previous iMac and my current MacBook Pro the audio in Premiere and After Effects would switch to headphones when headphones were plugged in and switch back to the speakers when I unplugged, all without having to go up to Audio Hardware in preferences and switching.

Now, on the iMac Pro that is not the case. Each time I plug in headphones, the timeline stops playing and i have to go up to preferences and audio hardware and select external headphones or iMac Pro speakers if I'm unplugging them.

I was on the phone with Apple about this as well as Adobe, and what the Apple rep and I found out is that the iMac handles audio a little differently. When you plug in headphones it sees it as a new audio source while the previous iMac and the current MacBook Pro switches it.

On the older iMac and the current MacBook Pro in Preferences/Audio Hardware/Default Output you see Built-in Output (this will be whatever the output is for the computer it self)

On the iMac Pro in Preferences/Audio Hardware/Default Output you see iMac Pro Speakers and if headphones are plugged in External Headphones. It's reading it as two different sources.

Also, which I think is a complete bug is if you are on External Headphones and you unplug them, it won't play the video any more even if you switch the audio hardware to iMac Speakers, you have to quit (sometimes force quit) and reopen the application.

348 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

joshml82 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

124 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this to automatically switch output when you plug in headphones on a mac. I have to go in and switch the audio each time I switch from mac speakers to headphones.

• MikeyD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. I just upgraded to the new 2019 MacBook Pro and now I am having this issue.

• Andrew Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix it to have the option to follow the default output (ie. auto switching), or not (ie. manual switching). It's 2019. Fix it already.

• Mark Bone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I just swapped from a MacBook Pro 2012 to the new 2019 MBP (8Core) and I'm having this issue. Really sucks. Would love to see this fixed the way the old apple hardware worked

• Ang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's funny, I've actually been trying to figure out how to make this happen on my imac so I can leave my headphones plugged in but manually switch to the computers built in speaker without having to unplug my headphones every time because it does actually auto switch the output to the headphones when they're plugged in and I can't figure out how to stop it. :(

• Shasta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same issue with my new MacBook Pro (core i9). Frustrating to have to change between speakers and headphones. Premiere has locked up my computer at least twice a day ending with a hard reboot. The only other application open at the time was Safari. So much for a faster workflow.

• joshml82 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@mstegner thank you that you are hopefully working on this. However, you talk about guessing user intent, but before the T2 chip this wasn't a problem, it just did it, it automatically switched. I don't think people complained about this, and you should make it like that again on all Macs with T2 chips.

Besides this, fix the LUT ISSUE!!!! Email me for details. :)

• mstegner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
    Matt from the Premiere team here. I wanted to update to let you know that we know about this issue and have an internal feature request (we hear you all loud and clear).
    This issue seems to be specific to the newer Mac's that have the T2 chip, when you plug in a set of headphones a brand new audio device appears in the Operating System, and the Premiere audio subsystem don't know that you, as a user, wants to specifically use that device (It is really hard to design software the guesses the users intent. When we guess and automatically do some action for the user, all the people that didn't want that action will be annoyed by the change).
    So, we hear you and we know about this.

One thing that can help us it to determine what Macs are affected. Like I stated above, I've seen this on a 2018 Macbook Pro with a T2 chip. I have not seen this on a 2013 Macbook Pro, or on a 2012 Mac Pro.

• Christopher Esposito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seems like a no brainer to fix this. or lets just keep extra steps in our work flow. editors love extra clicks! (that's sarcasm)

fix this NOW)

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Happens to me on my MacBook Pro. Never happened until recently. So stupid. Please fix this Adobe. Another annoying bug that hasn't been fixed while more pointless features are constantly getting added....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every app auto switches except for PP. Please fix this asap -- it's a ridiculous feature to even have to request.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base