Skip to content

Premiere Pro

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum is moving

In an effort to improve communications between you and the Premiere Pro team, we are moving this feedback forum to the Premiere Pro page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and we are combining our forums to help remedy that. Ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many people voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

646 results found

1. Closed Captions Support Embedded in H.264 Files

Hello.

We are providing live closed captions for hundreds of our live sports broadcasts. All these broadcasts are encoded H.264 and transmitted using RTMP. At the end of each broadcast, we're like to take our H.264 recording, and edit it in Premiere. Unfortunately, Premiere does not appear to support embedded captions in H.264 import or export. That's unfortunate, since this is now industry standard. I can take my H.264 file with embedded captions and upload it to YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and others, and the captions remain without any issues. Adobe Premiere is the only issue in this chain, which is…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Flexibility to move captions

It is very painful to use captions while still editing a project. Every time you make changes like adding a new scene, you have to move each caption one at a time to accommodate for new captions. Can you please make captions movable the way other clips are, whereas you can select a bunch of them at once and move them on the timeline as needed?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. More creative control of Text in Open Captions. Specifically, Leading and Kearning options, and Background Customization.

Please add more customization options for the Open Captions tool. Leading and Kearning would be great, and the ability to customize the background box. Ex. Rounded corners

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Resize text in the transcript window

In the transcript window, allow the user the ability to increase the size of the text. As I get older, the color and size of the text make a difference.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Caption Character Count and Duration

Please implement these Indicators to the next Caption workflow update:

Caption Character Count (first line, second line)
    Caption Duration (WPM (Words per minute), and CPS (Characters per second).

These functions will be invaluable to Caption workflow users.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support a caption/subtitle file format that includes positioning (such as TTML)

Premiere 2021 has a much improved captioning & subtitling workflow, but it has a huge weakness in that the only import and export format it supports is SRT, which does not preserve position info.

Our clients (which includes big ones such as Netflix) generally require us to reposition a caption or subtitle when it obscures a character’s lips or when it obscures on-screen text. Often this can be as simple as just moving a caption/subtitle instance to the top instead of the bottom.

However, the SRT file format doesn't support any positioning info at all. So, even though Premiere itself…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Glyph font appears in Caption search and edit windows [Bug]

In PR 15 with the new Caption workflow, the Glyph character set is displayed instead of English language characters. In the attached screenshot you can see:
    - Caption search screen displays Glyphs (WingDings?) font set
    - Caption block displays correctly in English.
    - Caption block displays incorrectly in Glyphs when selected to edit.

Text characters display correctly in the timeline and in the preview panel. Uninstalling and a fresh install of PR 15 upgrade did not resolve the issue.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. V15 BUG: Nested sequences with closed captions automatically render as open captions

I have a TV workflow where the main program w/captions sits inside a nest, and then several derivative versions carry that nested sequence while adding things like bars, slates and intro & outro disclaimers.

In the past, the captions flowed through as one would expect, but in the new version any nested CCs get rendered as open/burned captions no matter what you select for captions on export. This is pretty counterintuitive and limiting, but at least there is a workaround… you have to disable captions inside any nests, and then copy them to all the top-level sequences. (If you need…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Editing caption timecodes missing from v.15

I noticed that the ability to edit a captions timecode in the Text pane is now missing. I used that quite a bit before the update to v.15 and I really miss this feature. Please add it back in as it's really useful for having precise captions. Thanks!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add the ability to delete multiple captions back in!

I like the new updates to the captioning tool in the v.15 update, but not being able to select and delete multiple caption blocks is really bad! When I have a big video I'm cutting down this is essential. I know I can edit the SRT file outside of Premiere Pro but this takes a lot longer. Please add this back in!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please allow for line spacing within closed captions

It would be very useful to be able to increase or decrease line spacing within the captions tool.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make the captions track act like a video track

Make the captions layer act like a videolayer. Captions now block normal editing because they are not included in trimming, are not selected when all tracks are selected, are always copied even when track is not selected. Captions are a lot improved but making them part of the editing and not just as an add to a finalized edit will improve it a lot. Let me explain a bit further; Adobe now has a great transcription build in, in lots of languages, but once you have made a transcription and start editing with it there are great limitations because of…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Custom Dictionary for Captioning Tool

We've used a number of captioning services over the years and something badly needed in Premiere is a Dictionary like Simonsays.ai and others use, so that it can recognize repeated words, like company names, company leaders, and acronyms. It saves a lot of time.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Preserving Caption Timing and Formatting

When modifying/editing captions on Premiere Pro, in order to avoid timing being out of sync during ingest on YouTube.com, a blank “bumper” caption must be added to the top of all caption sequences. This is only needed for .scc caption files as .srt seems to have no issues with maintaining the timing for each caption set by the captioner. It would be convenient to stick to .srt as the standard captioning file, however specific formatting that occasionally must be used (top-placing captions, italics, etc) are lost in .srt when uploading to YouTube.com. The metadata tags are translated incorrectly and odd…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export transcript to text file with timestamps

When transcribing a file within Premiere and exporting the result to a text file, it would be extremely helpful for that text file to include the timestamps.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add labels for different speakers

We are using different colors in our subtitles. Speaker 1: white, speaker 2: yellow, speaker 3: blue.

When I type the captions in a 16:9 timeline for example and I want to copy it to a 4:5 timeline, I want to change all styles except the colors. Save and change a style is easy, but the problem: the color also changes to 1 saved color.

I want a different font size, a different position, but not a different color.

By adding labels for different speakers, you can add multiple colours to your preset. It should improve the workflow a lot.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Restore Standalone .scc file export

In PP 2020, you could export a standalone .scc file by selecting the set (timeline, clip or anything that contained Captions) and selecting File>Export>Captions... Now in 2021, the only way to export a .scc file is using the media export panel as a sidecar, an which case you must also export media. This takes what could be a 3-5 second process and turns it into a long process which includes a render.

There are countless reasons why one may want to export just the .scc file, but I'll give you my top three.

1. You want to use it for some…
    7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Go to current Captions clip when I select it

The new captions work flow has potential. My biggest frustration is that when I click on a caption clip in the caption timeline, the caption window doesn't jump to that clip so I can easily edit it. In fact, it often jumps to the top meaning I have to scroll to find it, which gets tedious if it's at the end and I have a long timeline, or if it's in the middle and I have to scroll through hundreds of caption clips to find it.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Captioning configuration

The Speech-to-Text function in 15.0 is very impressive. It's already helping us out greatly.

However, I would like be able to configure the Transcript to Caption process. I mean, I'd like to be able to enter a min/max character count, and a line count when the captions are created from the transcript. Can this be done already, if so how?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base